“Formidable”

Hotel Francois 1er Urban Style
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in La Rochelle
Reviewed May 4, 2011

A lovely welcome, with much needed cup of coffee, after negotiating the one way system and Place Verdun! Large room, ground floor with two single beds, overlooking the car parking courtyard. Very clean and modern bathroom, with power shower, well lit. A huge wardrobe, easy chairs and two chests of drawers. The dining room is rather small, breakfast excellent value. The hotel was full all week, including French families, happy to chat. Minutes from the market and shops, about ten walking to the old port and clock tower, where bars and restaurants stay open later than the old town. We reserved parking and were not charged. We had to leave at 5am for the airport and were given a jug of coffee each to see us on our way. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. The building is beautiful and the staff really kind.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Indigocarole

Reviewed December 27, 2010

This hotel is in the centre of town but on a very quiet street. The rooms were charming and clean. They also have parking which is hard to come by in La Rochelle. The staff were very helpful and I would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2010

Upon arrival, the hotel seemed dark and dreary, not too mention the Front Desk was rude until we explained we had a reservation.

As we left our luggage in the car, we thought we'd get the key first before lugging everything in, and so she assumed we were after something else, rather than guests.

The corridors were dark, and it took us a minute to find a switch to turn it on (these are timed - which seems a bit poor and cheap). Do not bring a heavy suitcase if you're not on the bottom floor - I left mine in our car, and used a day bag to carry up my essentials.

Bathroom was quite decent - however the shower you must hold by hand which is inconvenient. The room itself was small, tired and dark. One of the lights were not working. The bed was small and the room had a creepy feeling towards it. (Personal taste maybe)

Breakfast we found better value elsewhere, and chose upon this instead of paying the 7Euro/person.

As we were in off-peak season, we were able to use the carpark for free. This was very good. The location is fantastic, right in the heart of La Rochelle near the square and markets. The view from the room was pretty awful, we got the back of the other rooms and the dark courtyard.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this hotel, maybe if you were a solo traveller and needed a place for one night. Could find better value elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Amie_Myler
Reviewed September 30, 2010

For one night stop on a trip from France to Spain, the hotel was OK.
The location is good, the rooms are very small but clean and quiet.
Our bathroom had a curtain instead of the door and my sister's bathroom ..only the curtain's hooks!
The lady from the front desk explained that this is for security reasons (??? - not to lock ourselves in, perhaps?!!).
In the morning the shift changed and we got a better explanation: the rooms are so small that there is not enough space for the bathroom door.
The breakfast was a very simple - buffet style.
The only advantage of this hotel is the location,in the old city near the port.
Also we could park the car in the hotel courtyard (you need to reserve the space in advance and it cost 10 euros per night as advertised).
The free Internet access is also an asset.
In the port area there are a lot of good restaurants, recommended for seafood.
We don't think that we'll be in this area soon, but if it'll happen, we'll defenitely choose a diferent place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Can-Isr
Reviewed November 14, 2009

I stayed here for one night upon arrival in La Rochelle while waiting for my lease to begin on an apartment I had rented. Although it took me nearly an hour and a half to find the hotel after schlepping all my bags from the gare (a policeman finally showed me where to go), I appreciated the central location of the hotel. The young ladies who checked me in were delightful and very helpful. There is no lift and my room was at the very top of the building and in the back, so I had to schlep my bags up a few flights of stairs and through a couple little doorways. The room was so small, I had to enter and stand on the tiny bed and pull my suitcase in after me. The bathroom was equally tiny and the shower leaked all over the floor, requiring me to mop it up with the single bath towel I was alloted. Fortunately, I did not need to take a second shower. The wifi never did work for me, neither in my room nor in the lobby.

The hotel is located near all manner of shops and restaurants and is very close to the fabulous market and right around the corner from the Place de Verdun (the public transit hub of the city). The street and the room were remarkably quiet and although the room was tiny and old, it was impeccably clean with a lovely window that opened onto an interior courtyard. The bed was tiny, but I slept like a log (although 14 hours of non-stop travel might have had something to do with that). The breakfast buffet was wonderful, with breads, pastries, cereals, fruit, yogurt and all manner of juices, coffee and tea. I quite enjoyed eating in the little dining room among the other guests, who seemed to be older travelers from all over. When I left, I had some difficulty getting my bags down the stairs, as I was recovering from a severe knee injury and was wearing a knee brace. The proprietor, who was standing at the front desk, watched me struggle down the stairs and lose my balance without ever offering to help, even though he was not busy at all and no one else was in the lobby. He was a bit of a smug grump and I felt like I was an inconvenience when I checked out. He also seemed amused that I had to set out in the pouring rain. It is unfortunate that my last impression of this hotel was so unpleasant due to the proprietor's indifference.

All in all, though, I just needed this place to sleep for the night, and for this purpose it was adequate. Had I been traveling with anyone else or planned to stay longer the room would have been unacceptable. It was also far too expensive, but there are few things in La Rochelle that are not overpriced and of poor value. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Velocilex
Reviewed July 25, 2008

This hotel is centrally located on a quiet road. one one of the many one-way systems in La Rochelle.

the staff were welcoming and helpful.

My single room was very small, due to the 3/4 size bed. The bed was well used and you rolled into a hollow and had to climb out!

For a single traveller I consider it expensive.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed February 25, 2008

I stayed there for two nights in January 2008. The location is good, in the heart of the old city of La Rochelle. However, the room I got was smelling tobacco very badly, and except for the renovated bathroom, looked a bit old.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)