“I wasn't expecting much, but got quite a bit.”

New World Museum (Musee du Nouveau-Monde)
Ranked #24 of 80 things to do in La Rochelle
Los Angeles, California
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“I wasn't expecting much, but got quite a bit.”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

So I wasn't expecting very much from this museum, but went because I was in town for too many days and it was just down the street from my hotel, but I got more than I bargained for. They offer a truly unique perspective on America, its indigenous peoples and the slave trade. I simply wasn't prepared for such great exhibits, and it is so nice to be in a museum and not have to fight off the crowds. A true gem; a revelation. Completely worth the time and price of admission.

Visited July 2012

Victoria, Canada
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“OK”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I was quite interested in this museum because I grew up in Canada so I was interested in the French perspective, having learned Canadian history in high school. I found some of the rooms fascinating, like the story of the gold rush, or the depiction of America through art. But only some of the rooms had English translation sheets so I was very lost in the other sections like "literature" (based on America) or conquests. The museum is housed in a lovely 18th century mansion and offers a free activity booklet for kids to help them learn about the museum artifacts. Children are free; adults 4E50. This museum has a lot of potential and needs to have more translations for non-francophone visitors.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Canucksontheloose
LONDON ENGLAND
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Fascinating”
Reviewed August 29, 2010

This museum has an interesting exhibition covering the early settling of America and Canada, from slavery to the disputes between the French and British over territory. Fascinating early maps and engravings. It made me realise this whole topic is ignored in British schools who focus only on Europe. There was also a great series of photos on early Indian life which was largely superceeded by the European settlers. We only popped in after buying a pass to all the La Rochelle museums and enjoyed this one the most. You can get round it in an hour or two and its worth a view.

7 Thank FLOSSIE71
A TripAdvisor Member
“It was totally, rock on dude, yeeeah man.”
Reviewed October 18, 2004

It vas de best museum, I've ever beeen to. Zey had awesome desplays, and a most deelicous cafezeria. I vould love zo go again. Totally rock on dude.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member