“It's Good - Go There”

La Suite
Cuisines: French, Bar, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Suite, contemporary restaurant in a design "New York Loft", a mixture of stone and steel, several rooms, all overlooking the Champagne bar any height. Book near the wine cellar, or on the mezzanine near the champagne bar or on the gangway. A private room can accommodate up to 40 people overlooking the harbor. Located in the center of La Rochelle, in the historical district . Johan Leclerre Meilleur Ouvrier de France, college of food. Gastronomic policy being "The Kitchen should be accessible to all", you will find a daily menu from 19euro, served lunch and dinner all day. Card is large it also finds a tasting menu, Johan Leclerre offers all the dishes the most notable since the title Meilleur Ouvrier de France
Reviewed November 4, 2016

Good looking restaurant, but it's the food that does the talking. My shrimp starter (prawn cocktail, but not as we know it) and monk fish main course were to die for, but Madam's steak really was as good as it gets. You don't get to choose how it's cooked: they cook it and they cook it right. I'm no great fan of souffle, but I do like Gran Marnier and as it was a "chef special" I chose it and was very pleased that I did.

The nice thing as well was that they gave us time to linger and enjoy. Service wasn't slow, but it certainly wasn't rushed and for us they pulled off that rare trick of producing food just when we wanted it.

Eat as expensively as you can afford, but if in doubt I would recommend the 49 Euro menu that I think strikes a good balance between choice and price.

Go there: it's good.

Date of visit: September 2016

Reviewed September 24, 2016

This restaurant is situated at the mid corner of a vibrant cafe/restaurant street.
We were looking for fine dining and we were not disappointed.
Every course was mouth watering and beautifully presented.
The wine list is extensive and not too expensive.
A must have is the Grand Marnier Souffle!
The staff were very helpful and friendly - including organising the taxi back to the hotel each time.
A special mention for "front of house" Melissa who helped to make each evening very special.

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed August 23, 2016

We visited this restaurant to celebrate my wifes birthday and were looking forward to a great night. The menu choices looked good and the staff seemed friendly. I had read a few negative reports about this place but I thought the writers were being picky. From the start we appeared to be in some sort of competition to see how quickly we could be served by the staff. I spoke to the young lady looking after us and she did apologise when we explained we wanted a relaxed leisurely evening. As the food was served from amuses bouches to entree we were please up until that point. My wife and I both chose a steak for our main course which was served with a brie coating. My steak was well cooked however my wifes 'steak' was nothing more than fat and gristle, how it made it out of the kitchen under the nose of the chef is anyones guess. Also the potatoes and salad were not fresh. We complained and someone who I can only assume was the owner came to our table unapologetic and tried to brow beat us about the meal. We are seasoned travellers and stood our ground. The pudding was great and so was my cheese, but the atmosphere had gone by this time. To their credit they did reduce the bill by the cost of one 'menu' I know that restaurants can make mistakes, but this was gross negligence sending out such a meal.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed August 18, 2016

We arrived at about 2130 and could not understand the many different menus available, 3 plates for 37 or 49 or 70 or 100 euros...we wanted the 'surprise 'menu for 100 euros, but were advised it was too late- fair enough.
having ordered a bottle of champagne, staff paid more attention and advised us to have 2 different menus. Appetisers, palette cleansers were part of the experience; all very lovely. Oysters and lobster were good for starter; Ihad a really good pork, ham and aubergine dish, very clever and my husband, just for a change had cote de boeuf.. really tasty. A great soufflé and for me cheese as usual.
We had a great night and the food was really good - thank you

Date of visit: August 2016
1  Thank Beverley D
Reviewed July 31, 2016 via mobile

The food at La Suite is the best we have had for a long time. Beautiful food presented perfectly and it is obvious the chefs are very talented.

Unfortunately the food is let down by the waiting staff. Firstly it was unclear which were the staff- the waitresses all had black dresses on, but they were obviously their own as they varied from person to person. The more senior staff either wore a lounge suit or red or white dress depending on their available wardrobe for the day we assumed.

Secondly the staff seemed unable to walk at normal speed. They moved so quickly it was like an old black and white film. As we were seated near the bar and kitchen area, this spoiled what should have been a relaxed meal.

Lastly there is a fine line between allowing diners to enjoy their meal in peace and being there when needed. Unfortunately we felt invisible. Had there been a problem with the meal, we would have had to ask for assistance. The most basic restaurants are keen to know if everything is ok so it can be addressed.

If the serving staff were lead well and given uniforms, they would back up the excellent kitchen staff and the wonderful food and drink served.

Date of visit: July 2016