“We enjoyed it but not cheap”

Mercure La Rochelle Vieux Port Sud
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in La Rochelle
Preston, United Kingdom
“We enjoyed it but not cheap”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We enjoyed this hotel, nice rooms and very well located overlooking the port. Good car parking and a good nights sleep.

It's not cheap at 170 euros a night room only but fir us it was all about location. One issue however was the bar device was slow and even non existent at times which other guests also commented on, in fact we had to ask reception on 3 occasions for the bar man to come and serve us, a hotel of this size and cost should have someone on the bar all evening

However we would stay again

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Graham J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Turkish first
Kaneohe
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I got the feeling that the folks who ran this hotel knew what they were doing and seemed to enjoy their work. I stayed for 2 full weeks on a trip for work and felt very comfortable there due to the well-designed, spotlessly clean room and professional and congenial staff. For someone on a first visit to France with rudimentary language skills the location was perfect, close to the train station and walking distance to the lovely old town of La Rochelle. After letting me attempt to ask my questions in French they would rescue me if I reached the end of my language rope and would make reservations at restaurants for me cheerfully. The breakfasts were perfect with a wide variety of items served but the bread and the cheese was so good I had the same thing every day. Internet service was included and was fast and reliable. The rates seemed like a very good value to me. ]The hotel hosted our meeting as well and the facilities were ideal for our small group of about 40 participants. We dined in the restaurant for lunch each day and I looked forward to it. Temperatures in the room were comfortable and the windows opened which is a pleasant feature. The Mercure wasn't quaint but it was comfortable and I would return again if I were traveling to this lovely place.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the boat harbor had a prettier view than on the opposite side of the building.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Mirfield, West Yorkshire
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I must start by saying I don't understand guests who clain to be extensive world wide travellers who have never, ever posted a review before finding it necessary to write a scathing report about any hotel. Why not praise the good as well as vent anger and frustration if things don't suit?
Well we enjoyed a super 5 nights at this hotel as part of a group trip in April 2013. Our room overlooked the aquarium with a side view of the basin. It wasn't the largest we have stayed in but it was spotlessly clean and the bed linen was good and changed most days. The bathroom was adequate, larger than some, smaller than others but I want to bathe etc in it not live in it so it was more than ok for me.
The breakfast was was more than croissants and yoghurt mentioned elsewhere, there was meat, cheese, pancakes, toast, cereals, fresh fruit, boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon ( which to be honest i didn't try as it didn't look appetising to me but plenty of our party did) plus yoghurt and croissants. We ate one night in the restaurant as a group and the food was well presented, well served and tasty.The staff were very pleasant throughout and happy to oblige with any request. We had no noise from the corridors and adjoining rooms and our travel partners can occasionally be noisier than quiet when retiring but nothing filtered through. The carpets in the corridors could do with a spring clean in places but I am sure that will receive attention. The hotel is an easy walk to the harbour area with all its restaurants and bars but without the hustle and bustle that goes with it. I can't really comment on value for money as we were on an inclusive private trip but knowing our organiser I am sure he would not have been overcharged!. Would I go back - yes of course if I was in the area...

Room Tip: Can't really comment, our room was on floor 3 and to the side and was quiet (apart from a motorb...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank James B
Leusden-Utrecht
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Just another Accor Hotel with little surprises and no significant differences to the more than 2000 other hotels in the group or any other Hotel. Typical Accor hotel with small hotel room and pre-fabricated bathroom. This in itself does not disqualify the hotel in some cases it even means “Coming Home” as frequent travelers are happy to have the same standard over and over again. The location is good; the rooms are small but sufficient for the job; the breakfast is “French” = good croissant and yoghurt and not a complete international breakfast; personal is well trained, quickly, correct; friendly and speak their languages. I always have to laugh entering the bathroom; when I have enough money to buy a yacht, I will opt for a Accor Hotel Bathroom. It seems to come out a sales catalogue of private yachts and I always wonder how they squeeze it in the room. I assume they put in the bathroom first (and the beds) and then close the outer walls. Only minor for this hotel; wear in bathroom and bed sheets like sandpaper. And again all space to make a complaint; suggestion; advise; remark or compliment – the perfect customer satisfaction solution. In case the choice is mine; I would rather be a guest then a client. And yes; sufficient parking space and special rooms for smokers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Marcel G
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed here on New Years eve 2012 very smart and comfortable hotel rooms a little small but facilities excellent only problem the hotel restaurant was closed and so we had to find somewhere to dine not easy on new years eve as most places full!
Location brilliant for the harbour area and La Rochelle a great little place

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing the harbour
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This Mercure is a good ‘you know what to expect’ standard. They’re always like a Premier Inn for me….You get a modern, clean and well maintained hotel.

The rooms are big enough, with modern fittings and importantly it’s clean!

The bathroom is an ok size, with a sink ,w/c, a full size bath and a nice strong hot shower over the bath (and the water stays at a constant temperature!)
The bed in our room was I think a Queen size, and was really comfy.

There’s tea and coffer making facilities, mini-bar, a small electronic safe, sufficient storage for a couple of nights stay, a TV, a phone, free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel (code from reception).

The hotel has a big secure car park that’s free to hotel guests, though you can’t reserve a space.

The hotels in a good location, overlooking the harbour and a 5 to 10 minute walk to the ‘Vieux Port’ harbour where the Towers of La Rochelle are.
The tourist office is just opposite the hotel entrance.

Great hotel, and in a good location, you know what you are getting here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Tough price for the value. 150EUR for a 10feet x 10feet room (including bathroom) or so it feels. Great breakfast though, bio food. Quiet location. Not far from the Office du Tourisme and the Aquarium and the Train Station. For the Price, I would have picked the B&B a bit further...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple