“Location lets it down”
Review of Camping Les Sables

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in La Rochelle
Camping Les Sables
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Site was fine. Didn't find it anti english at all. Friendly staff. Big site without the lovely ambience many french sites have. The water park is great and is its saving grace. The location is dreadful. It is nestled between two abandoned campsite, now derelict and on wasteland. The beach is muddy and not pleasant. The area is new residential area, mostly empty. Not nice at all. Moved on to ile de re the next week. 45 minutes away and like another world!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is a place you want to avoid. The place isn't so bad (I speak passable Fench, which may have helped), and the pizzas decent. However I can't recommend it in any way due to the area it is in. Basically the entire way to La Rochelle you are goign past abandoned and derelict houses, industrial estates, trains, and lorries.

It bascally looks like an armageddon type scenario hit the place, after which it was abandoned (weeds growing out of everything!). I genuinely would like to know what happened, and Google has nothing - if anyone can explain why Aytré is so horrid, please do share, as I am intrigued.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Anthony B
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I was on holiday here in August camping with my family. We had quite a journey getting there and just wanted to pitch our tent. Reception was friendly and allocated us pitch 23 and said not too pay as we may wish to stay longer so just pay when you leave - I should have been supicious then. We have a large tent but it is line with camping and caravanning rules - and the website did guarantee 100m2 pitches. The pitch was tiny, there was a small tent already on it and a parked car - great. These items were removed very quickly by the French who had left them there but our tent would not fit on this pitch. Back to Reception - there is nowhere else ?? but we can't get on and we are here for 2 weeks aaaaaaahh!! Ok try pitch 55 - we looked - the kids were fed up by now they just wanted to go in the pool. Just about possible but pitch was max 70m2 - back to Reception - no there was nothing else. I then cycled around the site taking down numbers of empty pitches or pitches that were HUGE with pup tents on them. No we could not go on there it was requested and booked, no we could not ask those people to move. We were despairing - all this way and nowhere to stay. After an hour of aggravation and little help from Reception we had no option but to pitch up. It was extremely tight. Around us the French customers had lovely open and large pitches whereas the 5 British families on site were shoe horned into the smallest of spaces. Every day we asked to move - we found a satisfactory sized pitch and asked to move there. Again we were told no as it had been reserved. We even tried to move to another site but our boys did like the aquatic area which was its only saving grace and the pizzas were not bad. After a week we were ALLOWED to move to a pitch but we had to move within the hour as the new people would have to take our old pitch. Surprise surprise the new people were Brits !! We then had to move on our second last day to another pitch as the one we had been allowed to use was again booked. I met the other family who have commented on this site this year and we all agreed it was not for the British. The toilets were disgusting, the showers poor and the staff oblivious that we were on holiday and just wanted to have a nice place to stay. Never again - be warned - the surrounding area has two derelict campsites next door and if it was not for the pool this one could be heading the same way.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank elainehanlon
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Probably the worst site in France (unless you know different). Think they should hang out a sign saying "BRITISH NOT WELCOME" that's not just my opinion most of the other Brits we spoke to had the same feeling.
Most of the small camping area's with difficult access seemed to have been allocated to us Brits while larger area's were given to the French even with small tents, when we booked (sadly didn't read from Tripadvisor before doing so) I told them out Motorhome was rather large at nearly 9 metres in length and would the area allocated large enough, I was told it was OK, took for ever to park up after several shunting exercises.
Showers and Toilets just about usable although at one time the showers were so hot that steam was coming from the shower heads could have scolded a young person quite easily.
The swimming pool looks great, dont fooled it a accident waiting happen, one supervisor looking after 3 pools mostly concentrating on the 6 slides but totaly ignoring the rules about how to use the slides ie not headfirst not backwards etc.
Do yourself a favour and book elsewere.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank MontyC_8
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We spent a week at this resort from the 1st of July.I specifically asked for a quiet spot and was allocated one next to the football pitch.When I asked to change they said that all pitches were booked (although many stayed empty for the duration of our stay).We were subjected to constant teenagers playing football and although I also had teenagers I found it wareing.The bar at night was very loud although the food was good and at a reasonable price.Pool was a big draw and very clean as were the toilet block.I complained about the football and the the pitch was locked at 8 pm after that.There was no security guard on duty at night which I found disconcerting.Should an emergency occur there was just a number to ring.We went to this sight for a last holiday with my son (who will soon be 17).He and his friend enjoyed it but I cannot recommend it for a peaceful holiday.The beach was being upgraded but a little unusable.This was a disappointment as my husband kayaks on holiday.I feel I should point out that we also live in France so my requests and complaints to the staff were in French for all the good it did me.We won't be going back.Donot be surprised if you are asked for more money than quoted on te web site.This appears to be for only 2 people camping and my bill was 90 euros more!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank cherylann m
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Strange feel about this campsite which is besides train track and very close to landfill site. The nearest beach is surrounded by empty boarded and abandoned houses (no idea what happened here)!!! The pool and tennis courts are above average but unless your into laying and playing by the poolside not a site to spend more than a couple of days at.
reasonable out of season rates with the appropriate camping card. Perfect to use as a stop-over site.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank colininire
Reviewed August 27, 2010

We are a family of 5 and we rented a 3 bedroom mobile-home last week for 950 euro.
I had specifically wanted easy access to the beach but was very disappointed that the railway line separates the site from the beach. We walked once but it's along a fairly dangerous busy road past a disused camp-site that appears to be being demolished. . Have a look at Google Earth if location is important to you as Les Sables website is (deliberately?) vague. There is no-way I would have booked if I new the railway was so close.

Noise levels at night were, generally, ATROCIOUS and we left a day early as our last night we were kept awake until 6am by a nearby party. (the pitches are quite small). When I complained to reception they told me that the security guard 'wasn't on duty' that night which doesn't help when your 2 teen daughters haven't slept properly!!
On a positive note the swimming pool complex was very good and the on-site resto good value. My kids enjoyed it but noisy neighbours caused them considerable grief.

If you like staying-up drinking until the early hours then fine but we won't be going back to Les Sables and I think their website could be considered by some to be misleading re. location and I have stayed in other sites where security ask people to 'keep the noise down' after midnight.....

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family