“Nice place, great value”
Review of Le Bateau Ivre

Le Bateau Ivre
Ranked #390 of 538 Restaurants in La Rochelle
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Dropped in here for the set menu three course lunch, which was very good value at €14.90. The sardines, in particular, were excellent. We also had a 50cl bottle of very pleasant Ile de Re white wine for €11.90. Service was friendly and efficient. We sat inside and enterained ourselves reading the Rimbaud quotations on the walls.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Just back from La Rochelle and had agreat time the only kill joy was eating in this restaurant. We have been to La Rochelle before and had great Muscles !! Not here ..... how can they get them so wrong ! The waitress was extremely rude and pretended she did not speak one word of english! Which was fine as we can get by on our french! She seemed to be able to speak it on other tables though which we found odd! We ordered and our meal came very quickly ..... alittle too quick it was slammed on the table with no pleasantries!!!! No bread was offered and no water! Other tables were been seen to as usual ???? I cannot think how we offended the restaurant as we only asked for a table and sat down and ordered our food !! The muscles came with limited sauce and had no taste only salt water residue at the bottom of the dishes. We finished our 26 euro bottle of wine and paid . The food and staff were very poor and frankly a disgrace ! I never complain I very much take it as an experience and move on but I was really disgusted with this restaurant! You do not deserve any custom especially people on their hols!

2  Thank deborah k
Reviewed August 13, 2012

On the first night I had the Sole and it was ok but not comparible to the 23euro price. I ate the strawberry ice cream which was huge and reminded me of the knickerbocker glory's I used to eat in Wimpy aged 4 - excellent! 7/10

The next night I ordered a creamy seafood dish which was average at best. Service was slow and waiters seemed to look past me whenever I wanted thir attention. I must have said "Garcon" at least 12 times. In fact on asking for the bill there was a twenty minute wait, which comnprised of flailing arms in order to get somebody's attention to pay!! Not impressed and therefore no tip - always makes me wonder why restaurants don't have a "lookout" like they do in China who watches the floor and immediately sends a waiter or waitress over to a customer when they put up their hand.

Also, on ordering tea they only had Earl Grey - not even Lipton English breakfast. Can any of these restaurants go and get Twining's Assam or English breakfast? We're not all coffee drinkers. 4/10

total 5.5/10

2  Thank Travel R
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I don't even remember what we ate except that we each ordered a fixed menu of 2 courses for under 20 Euros. We were lured by the poetic verse painted on the walls of the restaurant and of course, there is the harbour view, and reasonable prices for "the formules." But waiting for your meal with two young kids was a little long, the resto is busy with tourists and after the meal, you got the feeling that you should have gone elsewhere along the touristed-filled street full of restaurant terraces. The kids' menus were reasonable though (8 Euros for hamburger and fries). Beverages were extra with the set menus.

Reviewed May 12, 2012

The port of La Rochelle is full of restaurants that you can browse before making a decision. We wanted something reasonably fast and meat-based so we avoided the bulk of restaurants that focus on fish in this part of the world.
The Bateau Ivre served us with an acceptable steak and some OK veal kidneys in a mustard sauce. The food was OK, if not great, but the service was poor. It took four separate requests before water glasses were brought, about 10 minutes after the carafe had been delivered to the table. On the upside, the desserts weren't at all bad and we didn't leave the restaurant feeling that far too much money had been extracted for what was provided. It's a bit of a tourist trap, but acceptable for the type.