“AVOID AVOID AVOID”
Review of le bateau ivre

le bateau ivre
Ranked #372 of 513 Restaurants in La Rochelle
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Market Drayton, United Kingdom
“AVOID AVOID AVOID”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Just back from La Rochelle and had agreat time the only kill joy was eating in this restaurant. We have been to La Rochelle before and had great Muscles !! Not here ..... how can they get them so wrong ! The waitress was extremely rude and pretended she did not speak one word of english! Which was fine as we can get by on our french! She seemed to be able to speak it on other tables though which we found odd! We ordered and our meal came very quickly ..... alittle too quick it was slammed on the table with no pleasantries!!!! No bread was offered and no water! Other tables were been seen to as usual ???? I cannot think how we offended the restaurant as we only asked for a table and sat down and ordered our food !! The muscles came with limited sauce and had no taste only salt water residue at the bottom of the dishes. We finished our 26 euro bottle of wine and paid . The food and staff were very poor and frankly a disgrace ! I never complain I very much take it as an experience and move on but I was really disgusted with this restaurant! You do not deserve any custom especially people on their hols!

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank deborah k

London, United Kingdom
“Good food on first night, long wait on second night!”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

On the first night I had the Sole and it was ok but not comparible to the 23euro price. I ate the strawberry ice cream which was huge and reminded me of the knickerbocker glory's I used to eat in Wimpy aged 4 - excellent! 7/10

The next night I ordered a creamy seafood dish which was average at best. Service was slow and waiters seemed to look past me whenever I wanted thir attention. I must have said "Garcon" at least 12 times. In fact on asking for the bill there was a twenty minute wait, which comnprised of flailing arms in order to get somebody's attention to pay!! Not impressed and therefore no tip - always makes me wonder why restaurants don't have a "lookout" like they do in China who watches the floor and immediately sends a waiter or waitress over to a customer when they put up their hand.

Also, on ordering tea they only had Earl Grey - not even Lipton English breakfast. Can any of these restaurants go and get Twining's Assam or English breakfast? We're not all coffee drinkers. 4/10

total 5.5/10

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Travel R
Victoria, Canada
“Average food, long wait-time, nice decor/view”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I don't even remember what we ate except that we each ordered a fixed menu of 2 courses for under 20 Euros. We were lured by the poetic verse painted on the walls of the restaurant and of course, there is the harbour view, and reasonable prices for "the formules." But waiting for your meal with two young kids was a little long, the resto is busy with tourists and after the meal, you got the feeling that you should have gone elsewhere along the touristed-filled street full of restaurant terraces. The kids' menus were reasonable though (8 Euros for hamburger and fries). Beverages were extra with the set menus.

• Visited May 2012
Dublin
“Nice location, rushed food”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

The port of La Rochelle is full of restaurants that you can browse before making a decision. We wanted something reasonably fast and meat-based so we avoided the bulk of restaurants that focus on fish in this part of the world.
The Bateau Ivre served us with an acceptable steak and some OK veal kidneys in a mustard sauce. The food was OK, if not great, but the service was poor. It took four separate requests before water glasses were brought, about 10 minutes after the carafe had been delivered to the table. On the upside, the desserts weren't at all bad and we didn't leave the restaurant feeling that far too much money had been extracted for what was provided. It's a bit of a tourist trap, but acceptable for the type.

Visited May 2012
POITIERS
“Avoid at all costs”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Why do i always read about these places after i've eaten there.There must be 30 other restaurants around it so how we picked such a bad one i'll never know.Place was busy but don't let that fool you.....all tourists.
We picked the middle priced menu,we both started with a seafood parcel which one would imagine being sat 30 feet from the sea would be homemade and fresh.It was cold except in the centre,obviously microwaved from frozen.A few gristly mussels and octopus tentacles inside....mmm rubbery.Sauce was non descript and tasteless.We were served no bread.
Main course for me was monkfish.It came in a soup-like format......basically a cream sauce with carrots,potatoes and spring onions within.The monkfish was plentiful but all on the bone - impossible to figure out what was what hidden within the white sauce,i had several mouthfulls of bone which to be honest was as good as the fish itself which was a mushy mess.Either defrosted or just cooked for hours too long.The whole thing was tasteless....although luke warm.....which was a bonus.
My cleverer wife having now figured out they had no cooking talent on offer selected a simple moules marinieres with chips.The whole lot was cold.The principal ingredient of their sauce was celery which tainted every mussel within.Pieces of onion were the size of a house.
Dessert was a 'caramel ice cream sundae' .....or 1 scoop of ice cream with chantilly and was the final insult.
Wine and drinks too expensive.Service was slow. I had to ask to pay 3 times - only by threatening to leave did we finally manage it.
The worst meal in living memory.Quite how they have the nerve to call themselves a restaurant i will never know.Why i have to give them 1 star is annoying - they should get nothing.Tripadvisor please note.

• Visited September 2011