“Charming hostess”
Review of Au Pre des Pontis

Au Pre des Pontis
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cognac
Au Pre des Pontis
Ranked #10 of 15 Cognac B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Isabelle, the owner, really does make you feel like a guest in her home. I can't think of anything you would want that she doesn't provide: large clean rooms, good bathroom with plenty of towels (and toiletries!), tea & coffee, free secure parking, enormous range of guidebooks, maps & brochures to borrow.

Cognac is not as pretty as Jarnac, but it is undoubtedly the best centre for touring the area; from this house you can be on the free motorway east/west in five minutes, which means you can cover the region comfortably in a few days

Very highly reccomended.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 11, 2010

This is a perfect place to stay in Cognac - just across the bridge from the old town with the distilleries and quaint streets, parking behind a security gate (we even got the garage for our sports car), wonderful breakfast including grapes from Isabel's own garden and a free entry card into the Cognac distillery based in the castle which would otherwise cost 16 euros. Isabel couldn't have been more helpful and we had a guest lounge where we could make tea and coffee; bottles of water in the room and the chance to buy cognac and pineau de charente from a distillery owned by Isabel's friend. Wonderful value and we will definitely go back,

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ABearLondon
Reviewed August 3, 2010

This is our third year at Au pre des Pontis and we love it as much as ever. The reason we stay here is to visit the Cognac blues Passion which is mainly held in the park and this B & B is in a perfect location for all the entertainment but also for all the places of interest. As I said before Isabelle helps make our holiday a real pleasure with her kindness and helpfullness, the home made jams this year were second to none at the breakfast table, oh and I nearly forgot the home made cake, yes its home from home. We will return next year and yes I would recommend it for when you visit Cognac.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hondarocker
Reviewed November 10, 2009

Having read the reviews of this and alternative accommodation in Cognac, I booked the Cognac Suite for my wife and myself and the Green room for our friends. I am absolutely sure I did the right thing, as we were all very pleased with our en-suite rooms. (The Yellow room's beds look a bit low for my aching bones and its toilet and bathroom are across the communal corridor). This is a lovely, rustic building - the floors creak as they should.

The location is even better than I had read, since the cardboard factory mentioned in an earlier review has now gone and I had sole access and keys to the locked, adjoining garage. For extra security there is also an electric sliding gate at the end of the road. We were given the remote control in case we came home late, when it would be shut.

As the other reviewers said, Madame Isabelle is a marvellous hostess, with a very good grasp of English, although she was patient with me as I practised my Franglais on her. She was helpful when needed, and vanished until needed again. The dining room was at our disposal any time, and a selection of teas and coffees were available.

Rue des Pontis is literally just across the bridge from the Hennessy and Otard distilleries. There is a patisserie and a baker (from where morning croissants are sourced) at the junction with the main road and a brasserie just after the crossroads. Cognac has a wide variety of restaurants and we found a creperie close to Otard.

Cognac was very busy on the weekend we stayed, so it was a bonus to be able to park the car safely and walk to the distillery tours and for meals. There is a maze of (some very) narrow streets full of ancient architecture and I wish we had allotted more time for a thorough wander. All the more reason to return as I'm sure we will.

I only discovered at the last minute that Hennessy is closed for tours from October until the New Year, but Martell and Otard did tours in English. Allow 1.5 hours to include sampling and shopping time.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank XF_Jagman
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Dropped by unanounced hoping there would be availability since we're travelling in low season. Isabelle was so very welcoming. Our rooms were prepared straight away while we went for a coffee. Very spacious and comfortable, tasteful furnishings and with nice homely touches like fresh flowers from the garden. We even had a plate of home made orange cake for a treat before bed plus tea. Wifi and breakfast - what more could you ask for?

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank trois-in-France
Reviewed November 13, 2008

What a wonderful place and person! We took the flight from Stockholm to Bordeaux and stayed at this B & B for 4 nights. Isabelle is a outstanding hostess and her property so very comfortable. She provided us with all the comforts to make our stay most enjoyable. She didn't disturb us but always when we wanted service she was there. The last 10 years we have travelled at least two times a year to different countries and we havn´t earlier experienced a better hostess and kindness. We don´t understand French but Isabelle,s knowledge in English is very good and we got a lot of advices about what to do and visit by car. /Ove and friends from Finland

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank Oveh
Reviewed October 27, 2008

The perfect place and most gracious host during our 3 day stay in Cognac! Isabelle was kind enough to meet us at the train station and take us directly to her B&B. She made us feel right at home immediately. From making sure we had enough towels to providing extra bottled water to helping us connect to her Wifi! She even had Pineau and Cognac in her dining area for you to partake of if you so wished. Isabelle was full of suggestions for places to eat and of course she gave us complimentary tickets for Otard which was just a 5 minute walk from her house! Her hospitality is bar none. Unfortunately for us it rained most of our time there, but the proximity of the B&B to everything made it even more obvious how convenient the location was. We enjoyed how easy it was to walk to the various well known Cognac houses as I am definitely a cognac drinker! Loved visiting Hennessy, Martell and Camus as well. Every morning we were greeted with a very satisfying breakfast with fresh croissants, Charentes butter, wonderful preserves, yogurt, juices and fresh coffee! We are missing the simple, but yet so tasty breakfasts. My husband and I are constantly craving fresh croissants! <sigh> Isabelle of course was just as kind enough to drop us off at the train station on our day of departure. If you are looking for a reasonable place to stay with the warmest reception, look no further...Isabelle does not disappoint!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)