“All day brasserie dining”
Review of Le Globe

Le Globe
Ranked #39 of 67 Restaurants in Cognac
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Jarnac, France
“All day brasserie dining”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

To call this a brasserie doesn't really do the restaurant justice. It is a restaurant with a brasserie style. They really do cook all day & the food is good to very good. If you like duck then you are in for a treat, they have so many different presentations that it is hard to eat one's way through the choices. If you are hungry then go for the "Coin Coin" and see sevral different parts of your duck (magret, foie gras, gisiers, etc) all on the one plate; this dish comes with a desert for less than 20€ Cheaper options are available. The range of salads is also very good. and, of course, they are a cheaper option.

Very good value for money.

Lots of space: outside (sheltered), in the bar area and in the dining room at the back.

• Visited November 2012

Manchester, UK
“Great mussels”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We had a good meal here, although we were there early. They clearly did not have enough staff on and people who came later waited ages to be served. 3 couples on tables next to us left due to a lack of service, so I guess you need to go when they are quiet. My mussels were cooked to perfection and the portions were very generous.

Visited September 2012
Stamford, Lincolnshire
“Not good”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

although we were given a menu as soon as we sat down, the two waitresses were rushed off their feet and didn't take our order for nearly 45 minutes - then they got it wrong! I had to ask three times for a decanter of water and eventually went to the bar and got it myself. the food was OK but the service absolutely appalling, I would not reccommend it. Also we were not asked if we wanted an aperitif. One to give a miss on the whole.

7 Thank Dorse
glasgow
“Poor service so so food”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Went to le globe on ourfirstnight in cognac we had arrived late and we retired and hungry. We cose this restaurant as it looked busy ,and that usually means good food. Wrong decision the service was very poor and the waiting staff were harassed and brusque to the point of rudeness . They brought us a very small bottle of water and 3 times we asked for more water- it never appeared.

We chose the formula menu which is usually quick and good food . It was so so.the starters were ok there were 2 choices of main dish a minute steak which was fine but served with greasy chips and the fish which was covered inathick horrible greasy batter but served with lovely seafood rice. The desserts were good.

Overall it was a poor experience. Wouldn't go back.

4 Thank golfer24
Somerset
“Worst ever restaurant experience”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

If only I had had access to Trip Advisor whilst in France, I would never had the misfortune to enter this place. Alas, knowing no better, we found ourselves here on a wet Sunday in Cognac. It really was unbelievably bad - as if the whole place had been through the Basil Fawlty School of Restaurant Training (only without the laughs). Staff were brusque & unhelpful, despite my speaking reasonably good French. We ordered, were brought glasses of water & no bread, and then abandoned for 40 minutes (a glass of wine, the wrong colour, was brought & taken away). After 40 minutes they came to tell us that only one of the dish we had ordered was available. My husband chose again - changed his wine to suit, and was then brought the wrong colour again. Another long wait, and finally I started to complain. Our 3 children had waited patiently enough, but how long does it take to make a pancake? Eventually they were brought - but having ordered different fillings for all 3, we were told the chef had actually made 3 identically filled pancakes, was this a problem? Well, yes, it was, as one of my kids is a vegetarian. So off they went again. More pancakes, but with a completely raw egg floating in the centre. Another complaint (by this point one of the kids was in tears as I was beginning to crank up my French to confrontational), and this time the waiter returned, with the unforgettable words `The chef says he can't cook the egg any more'. To which my response frankly was then the chef should get a new job, as even I, or indeed the waiter, could have made a better attempt at it. The pancake was inedible in every way - far too thick, flabby on the inside and unpalatable. The waiter put up a fight initially, but as the complaints stacked up and my French found a hitherto undiscovered gear, he held up his hands & we left without being charged. But what a waste of time and energy. Be warned - and avoid this place at all costs.

5 Thank Beaconhillbaker