“Poor service so so food”
Review of Le Globe

Le Globe
Ranked #39 of 69 Restaurants in Cognac
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Went to le globe on ourfirstnight in cognac we had arrived late and we retired and hungry. We cose this restaurant as it looked busy ,and that usually means good food. Wrong decision the service was very poor and the waiting staff were harassed and brusque to the point of rudeness . They brought us a very small bottle of water and 3 times we asked for more water- it never appeared.

We chose the formula menu which is usually quick and good food . It was so so.the starters were ok there were 2 choices of main dish a minute steak which was fine but served with greasy chips and the fish which was covered inathick horrible greasy batter but served with lovely seafood rice. The desserts were good.

Overall it was a poor experience. Wouldn't go back.

4  Thank golfer24

Reviewed August 20, 2012

If only I had had access to Trip Advisor whilst in France, I would never had the misfortune to enter this place. Alas, knowing no better, we found ourselves here on a wet Sunday in Cognac. It really was unbelievably bad - as if the whole place had been through the Basil Fawlty School of Restaurant Training (only without the laughs). Staff were brusque & unhelpful, despite my speaking reasonably good French. We ordered, were brought glasses of water & no bread, and then abandoned for 40 minutes (a glass of wine, the wrong colour, was brought & taken away). After 40 minutes they came to tell us that only one of the dish we had ordered was available. My husband chose again - changed his wine to suit, and was then brought the wrong colour again. Another long wait, and finally I started to complain. Our 3 children had waited patiently enough, but how long does it take to make a pancake? Eventually they were brought - but having ordered different fillings for all 3, we were told the chef had actually made 3 identically filled pancakes, was this a problem? Well, yes, it was, as one of my kids is a vegetarian. So off they went again. More pancakes, but with a completely raw egg floating in the centre. Another complaint (by this point one of the kids was in tears as I was beginning to crank up my French to confrontational), and this time the waiter returned, with the unforgettable words `The chef says he can't cook the egg any more'. To which my response frankly was then the chef should get a new job, as even I, or indeed the waiter, could have made a better attempt at it. The pancake was inedible in every way - far too thick, flabby on the inside and unpalatable. The waiter put up a fight initially, but as the complaints stacked up and my French found a hitherto undiscovered gear, he held up his hands & we left without being charged. But what a waste of time and energy. Be warned - and avoid this place at all costs.

5  Thank Beaconhillbaker
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We arrived late into town after battling summertime traffic and traipsed around for a table for four. Eventually got the only remaining outside table at Le Globe and had a wonderful lunch of two steak-based dishes (one bleu and the other à point both cooked to perfection) and two salads, bristling with foie gras and avacado and fois gras and shrimps. Short on time to make our day's destination, we didn't get to sample desert.

The service was excellent, starting off with the waiter bringing a bowl of water for our thirsty terrier (it was 34ºc). Although we spoke to the staff in French, they obviously heard us speaking English amongst ourselves and when the menus arrived there were two of each language; a courteous touch.

Certainly would like to go back for a leisurely dinner and sample what looked like a very nice wine list.

Reviewed October 5, 2011

Firstly, the food was okay, especially the foie gras. Other dishes were nothing special, but they have served their purpose in quenching our hunger. The experience was, however, completely ruined by the service.
We sat down and waited about fifteen minutes only to be lectured by the waitress to come inside and greet first (we sat down at the terrace). The menu was only in French and none of the staff spoke any decent English whatsoever. We were ordering quite a lot, especially cognacs, but even the drinks failed to arrive on time and my boyfriend's father had to come for the sliced bread he ordered himself as it was waiting at a bar for ten minutes while his food was cooling down. The waiting time was long, the staff was unattentive and lazy. We have to pantomime the salt to coerce the waiter to bring us some and even after that he did not understand - I was fortunately saved by a fellow diner at the next table giving me his salt. My God this lot was lazy and due to the fact that Cognac does not have that many tourists, especially in the evening, I would be grateful for anyone coming to dine at my restaurant, especially when they are not rude and keen to order a lot. Avoid like plague!

4  Thank Tinde_K
Reviewed June 9, 2011

The four of us who visited this reataurant had a superb meal.
Quantity and Quality was brilliant and we had excellent service.
They obviously had many regular French customers at lunch time, so
there must be many happy customers like us.