“Secret Gem Of Bohol”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Anda
Bangkok, Thailand
“Secret Gem Of Bohol”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

We were looking for a resort within Bohol which was not full of tourists, We were fortunate enough to sit beside the Owner Karin on the plane who I have to say was extremely humble as she mentioned her place was just small. After googling the website we decided it was the perfect place to conduct our scheduled photoshoot/pictorial and then time to relax.
The room we were given was fabulous and the food was to die for... let alone the stunning view and scenery with Infinity pool and private beach. If you are looking for a place that is secluded and not full of people then this is definitely the place to go. We surely will go back when we visit Bohol again.

Martin & V

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank V2579

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I decided to celebrate my birthday at Amun Ini last May 9. I have actually saved the resort's name on TripAdvisor few months ago, since it had a lot of good reviews from many people.

We, being based at Cebu from our flying jobs, took the 2H ride via the fast craft. The ride was smooth. You can choose from 2go or Ocean Jet. We chose the Ocean Jet business class (1K per person), which had aircon and toilet. It was much more comfortable and stable. After the boat ride, we were picked up by Lito- the driver. It took another 2H from the port to the resort, but I didn't really feel long since it was a scenic ride. Lito was a safe and entertaining driver. When spoken to, he responds with a friendly and entertaining manner. On the other hand, he will not force a conversation if he knows his guests are tired.

After arriving at the resort, we were welcomed by the owner; Fred. It was my first time in all of the resorts I have visited in the past where the owner himself welcomes you to the resort.

As the reviews state, the meals cooked by the daughter Adrian and son in law Joshua was superb. Where can you find a 5 star resort where the family members are directly involved in day to day operations? Special thanks to the couple who went out of the way and ordered crabs for me. They really take this service seriously with pride.

Despite being jolly on my birthday, I actually got seasick on the free ride given by the dive master to the snorkeling site. I'm a pilot but I'm not really used to a stationary boat that was swinging side ways. In addition to my motion sickness, I also got dehydrated due to the hot weather. Thus, missing out on my much awaited crab dinner.

Fortunately I was staying on a resort that has a family atmosphere. The owner Fred came to my room several times to check on me whether I was doing ok or not. In addition, he also had the kitchen made fresh juice so that I can rehydrate. At that moment I realized that I was in good hand and I didn't bother going to the hospital anymore. (I know I'm over acting about the hospital but I really felt sick)

The next morning when I woke up, I have recovered about 90 percent. The 10 percent I recovered it after drinking coke. I was all jolly again. However, Fred was concern about my breakfast, thus taking it slowly. My buddy actually left me some food from last night so I can still taste it in the morning. (pieces of crabs) I guess it was really good because it really was pieces. Seeing I had nothing much left with the crab, Fred treated me chicken kebab for lunch. The kebab was deliciously tender. Again , my buddy ate half of it since the portion was big.

Final words. I wasn't paid or bribe to write this review. I thank Amun Ini for showing me the at home hospitality from the family, hotel staff and even the guests themselves. I thank you for making me feel safe and happy.

A319/320
Capt Suzuki K

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ken S
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 5, 2014

My friend and I stayed at Amun Ini for a 2 nights and our regret is that we didn't stay longer; the staff is friendly and warm, the owners make it their business to make sure you're fully accommodated and the food is fantastic (try the clam chowder). The highlight was the diving - the reef is beautiful with lots of life (be sure to have a Mandarin Fish sunset dive on your list) and it's a 5 min boat ride to the dive site. Diving staff are fun and take care of everything; it's effortless.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Asia-Traveller-860
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We stayed at Amun Ini for 3 days in April and loved every moment of it. Fred and staff welcomed us like family. We were looking for a quiet restful getaway and we were absolutely nourished from our stay. The beach was pristine. Swimming, snorkelling and diving were all wonderful. The restaurant exceeded our expectations. Every meal was exquisite! I am still dreaming about the green gazpacho soup and the sea urchin cream risotto. Mmmmm! We would love to return and highly recommend it!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stella I
hong kong
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I stayed at Amun Ini for a week from the 7th if April to the 14th of April 2014.

The experience was one that I would do again in a heart beat.

The welcome upon arrival was very much like the welcome you would receive when visiting an old friend. Which is very much like what the whole experience was like. You felt that you were staying with friends. The rooms are very well appointed and extremely comfortable. I really like the fact that the decor is all locally sourced. The bathrooms are large and well laid out. The dining is on par with good restaurants and they are always willing to do something off menu if there is something you would prefer.
The dive center is extremely well run and the equipment is all brand new. The dive guides know what they are doing and really do try to spot the things that you are looking for. I kept joking that the diving is so good I wouldn't let anyone know about it and keep it my secret.
To sum it all up it was an incredible experience that I am looking forward to repeating.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank thevandos
Leeds, New York
Reviewed April 26, 2014

It's amazing...all of it...every bit. The beach, the restaurant, the people, the staff, the service and even the dogs lol.

The beach...white sand. privacy, beach bar, shaded cabanas, turquoise sea...you want paradise, you got it!

The restaurant and menu....beautifully appointed area, view over the pool and the sea, and the menu and food, oh my; delicious, varied, personalised where required, I would actually recommend EVERY item on the menu with particular reverence for the liver pate, clam chowder, steaks and the Amun Ini take on kinilaw....bugger it, everything was superb.

The staff and service...unrivalled...whatever you wanted, you got it, and (rare for the Philippines) you actually got what you asked for! We bought wine by the bottle and it was saved for us, the staff weren't intrusive and yet were always there when you needed them...perfect.

Finally, the dogs, awwwww, how gorgeous are they! Part of the Amun Ini family they are well behaved, well trained and well sweet :D

As you can tell from the above, waxing lyrical about Amun Ini is the only way to go, yes you pay for it but to my mind it was worth every penny...see you again soon guys - if only to finish all the items on the menu :D

Room Tip: Errr, they're all lovely and all have a sea view so pick any that you fancy :D
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Incey W
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed April 21, 2014

My wife, daughter and I spent 3 days at this wonderful boutique resort in Anda, Bohol recently. At Tagbilaran Airport, we were met by arranged transportation to bring us to the resort. Nice little touches like an ice cold towel and a bottle of cold mineral water from the driver DonDon, was a sure sign of good things to come for our vacation. The resort is about 2 hours east of Tagbilaran but it is an easy, enjoyable and scenic coastal ride. Upon arrival at the resort, the oversized doors to the reception area magically open to reveal a welcoming group of smiling faces with cold towels and cool drinks. Check in was fast and efficient. The resort is perfect for those looking for beauty and serenity, as there are no crowds to contend with. There were times when we had the gorgeous white sand beach all to ourselves. The place is truly a piece of heaven on earth. Even though it is smaller than typical resorts, it provides all the amenities one requires. But what makes it unique is the personal touch that the guests experience from the owners and the staff. Fred and his family made our stay seem more like visiting friends at their home, rather than staying at a hotel. Meals are often enjoyed with the owners table hopping among the guests. The five well-behaved dogs, who lay claim to the resort, add that special ambiance to the place. And finally, the food. The excellent menu selection and the five-star quality of the food made our experience even more complete. (Hint: Don't miss the Pate and the Chicken Liver pasta). Many thanks to Fred and his family for sharing their piece of paradise with us.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anda
J&R Residence
J&R Residence
#2 of 6 in Anda
Ocean Suites Boutique Hotel Bohol
Ocean Suites Boutique Hotel Boho...
#1 of 11 in Tagbilaran City
#1 of 1 in Baclayon
Isla Hayahay
Isla Hayahay
#1 of 1 in Calape

Been to Amun Ini Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!