“Fitting Tribute To the Marines”

WWI Marine Memorial at Belleau Wood
Book In Advance
More Info
$203.96*
and up
Private WWI Day Trip from Paris: Aisne-Marne...
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Beautiful cemetery and a wonderful drive thru Belleau Wood. You need to park the car and walk the paths to see some of the remnants of this WWI battle. Very quiet and a place to be contemplative.

1  Thank C0rgiL0ver
"small museum"
"an absolute"
"history buff"

Reviewed November 16, 2012

The Aisne-Marne cemtery and memorial mark the beginning of the modern Marine Corps, and it was here that the offensive began that led to the end of World War I. Some 8,000 American dead are honored here, and the cemetery staff has tried to compile information on each of them! I found information on my uncle that none of our living family members knew--amazing! The walk through the battlefield is moving, the cemetery immaculate.

4  Thank Tom C
Reviewed August 19, 2012

With a son in the Marines, this was an amazing experience for us. The cemetery and memorial chapel are immaculate. The landscaping in the cemetery and the memorial chapel is outstanding. Many beautiful flowers. This is indeed a tranquil place which causes much reflection.

We had the honor of obtaining a bottle of water from the Devil Dog Fountain in Belleau for our son.

The two ladies we talked with are so grateful for the U.S. Marines did for them in freeing them back in WWI. It was amazing how much history they knew.

This is a "must do" for any Marine or any Marine family who has the chance to visit France!

4  Thank Traveler06232009
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Directly behind the beautiful WWI Aisne-Marne Cemetery (see my review) in Belleau Wood, France, you will find the Marine Memorial. Just turn left out of the Cemetery and head around until you come to the stone markers that indicate the way to the Memorial. The woods are very green and quiet, as is the cemetery. We were the only visitors. There are WWI weapons on display as well as the Marine Memorial near the flag pole. The peace and solitude offer the visitor a chance to walk the grounds and contemplate what war must have been like in this place. There isn't a great deal to see, but combined with the Aisne-Marne Cemetery and the beautiful little church across from the cemetery which commemorates the battle, all combined, make this a very important stop if you are visiting WWI and WWI Cemeteries and Memorials in France.

Since WWI sites are sometimes difficult to locate and are usually outside of tiny towns in the fields of France, I suggest doing your research in advance at the American Battle Monuments Commission website: www.abmc.gov. There, you will find all the information necessary to locate these and other cemeteries, monuments and memorials scattered throughout Belgium, France and the Netherlands.

The wars fought in these places were horrendous. Our eleven year old grandson Drew asked me why we visit the cemeteries. He feels they are sad and depressing. I explained to him that they are neither sad nor depressing. They are places where people of great courage rest. Places where we can take a moment to remember the thousands lost, with no graves to visit, only a name etched on a wall. They are lovely places that offer the opportunity for quiet contemplation, places of beautiful architecture and fragrant gardens, and most importantly, they remind us of our freedom and it's cost.

8  Thank Sailorsgirl