“No Large Sign at the bottom of the mountain.”
Review of Ami Chenin

and 1 more site!
Ami Chenin
Ranked #8 of 24 Saumur B&B and Inns
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“No Large Sign at the bottom of the mountain.”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

For the Americans: We drove around for two hours in the dark and could not find this B&B. We had to call and be picked up to follow to the B&B. I was so exhausted and I missed out on dinner completely that night in France! They do not lock the front doors, they do not have locks on your room doors... Breakfast is bread and water, juice, or coffee. There is no phone, TV, alarm clock, iron board, rapid boil tea pot, or computer at this B&B. They did not turn on the heat it was 42 degrees out side! I slept with the covers pulled up over my head! I had allergies all night because they do not dust their antiques in the rooms. They do not clean the room while you are staying in it either. There are three tight parking places on a cliff. The road that leads up the mountain is one lane and curves back on its self and has a blind sharp right turn. It was difficult and dangerous to get up to the inn and then parking was difficult. It was cute and very French but has no ammenities. The owners were pleasant yet he was controlling. I don't know what to think when an inn keeper slaps you on your hand when you ask for your purse and personal items back?... After holding on to them while I parked my car. I was creeped out I should not have given into coersion to hand them over... What was I thinking?. I would not go back to this B&B. This town has a nice Best Western.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We made a stopover in Saumur for one night only, but when we saw the place, we regretted we hadnt planned to stay longer. The rooms are incredibly romantic, yet very comfortable with modern facilities. The hosts made us very warm welcome although we arrived pretty late in the evening, and later on helped us to plan our sightseeing for the next days with valuable tips. In the garden we had lovely French breakfast with selection of fresh breads, delicious jams and much more. We would not hesitate to return there if we pass by the region.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights and accepted the home cooked dinner for1 of them. But1st one had to get there and the access road is rather difficult, so don't try it if you have a large car! It was stressful parking in the rather narrow spot after a narrow steep short road. The location was otherwise peaceful, the large room clean, the bathroom renovated and quite nice. The old house and cave were quite charming.We slept well and the breakfast was delicious with wonderful breads, home made jam and baked goods. We had dinner with another set of guests, unfortunately we did not really take advantage of the wonderful wines the host had on offer. Xavier was certainly an expert at it. The food was nice and a good way of trying some typical French foods one may not order in restaurants. The hosts English was as limited as my French but we managed to communicate, they were indeed helpful. There was no Internet availability.

Room Tip: Our large room for 3 called Aunis, was certainly more than adequate.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Lancashire, Uk
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I booked this through TripAdvisor on grounds of location, price and charm and I was not disappointed (and neither was my wife) when we stayed earlier this year. France and Xavier's home is truly beautiful and they are wonderful hosts who were patient as I struggled with my French and made us feel at home. We enjoyed drinks outdoors with them and felt as if we'd dropped in on a couple of friends.
We also enjoyed a delightful meal served outdoors in the evening sunshine. I can't tell you how much my wife was impressed with my choice.
Part of the charm is in finding Ami Chenin and any difficulties you might have are outweighed by what you find when you get there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
new jersey
Reviewed May 29, 2008

We enjoyed our stay at this lovely "bed & breakfast," located in the Loire Valley, immensely. The owners, France and Xavier, are welcoming, charming -- the perfect hosts. The old stone house (complete with its own wine cave) is beautifully restored and decorated. We took advantage of the fact that a table d'hotes is offered, which turned out to be one of the best dinners we had during our 12 day trip to France; delicious and convivial. I booked our room (Aunis -- very spacious, unique in decor, and reasonably priced) through their website (www.amichenin.com). If you are traveling in this region, we recommend staying here -- we did not want to leave!

• Liked — the warm welcome and beautiful house
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 11, 2007

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this beautiful home. And then I saw the room - it was magnificent, very large and comfortable. Actually it was more a suite than room - a family of 4 could stay there and still have room to move around. I have a love for homes 3-5 hundred years old and this one did not disappoint. Breakfast outside in the garden was icing on the cake. I would love to return to this region - so much to see. One day just isn't enough.

• Liked — One of the loveliest places I've stayed in.
  • Disliked — Loved everything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed July 12, 2006

A big thank you to the last reviewer. We just came back from an all too brief stay at Ami Chenin. Though we didn't have the room they spoke of, our room was also lovely. The location was great. The surroundings beautiful. Our hosts couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. We also had a delicious dinner dinner there, which I would highly recommend, especially if you are there multiple nights (Saumur also has a number of gastronomique restaurants to choose from). Definitely the best Chambre d'hote of our 10 day trip.

• Stayed July 2006
2 Thank Labuscadora16
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saumur
Anne d'Anjou
Mercure Bords de Loire Saumur
Hotel Du Parc
Hotel Du Parc
#4 of 24 in Saumur

Been to Ami Chenin? Share your experiences!