We enjoyed a wonderful few nights at Chateau de Verrieres last month, and can thoroughly recommend this delightful hotel to other travellers to the region. Saumur is centrally located for exploring many of the lovely chateaux and vineyards of the Loire, and our superb hosts Thierry and Yolaine with their passion and enthusiasm for the Loire Valley were our daily inspiration for information and recommendations for days out, tourist attractions, restaurants and scenic drives. We’d never have thought for example of visiting a Tank Museum (Musee des Blindes) within 5 minutes of Verrieres and that it would prove such a fascinating and thought provoking morning’s visit, and Yoliane’s help to find the most delightful restaurant for lunch set in gardens overlooking the Loire was priceless - we would never have found it without ‘insider knowledge’!
Chateau de Verrieres is a stunning house set in large grounds, it dates from around 1895 and was built for a General of Napoleon III, before passing to one of the local wine families. Thierry and Yolaine bought it from them just 8 years ago, and have devoted their time to restoring the house to provide 10 exquisitely beautiful en suite rooms and suites. We loved our room, called The General in memory of the original owner and reputed to have been his bedroom, but on a quiet day Yolaine showed us around some other vacant rooms and they are all exceptional. The rooms have all been individually restored and furnished, with hand blocked wallpaper, silk wall panelling and tasteful antiques– incidentally, although the house is in a town the gardens are big enough to feel secluded and it is very quiet - with a perfect bed so comfortable - we slept so well!
Breakfast is served buffet style in a bright and beautiful basement room with vaulted ceilings and good light from high set windows, it is continental style and includes numerous croissants, pains au chocolat and muffins. All are delicious and a welcome change for us traditional Brits!
The hotel does not provide evening meals but then again it does not have to. There are at least a dozen excellent restaurants between 5 and 20 minutes walk from the hotel, and Yolaine and Thierry are happy to recommend their favourites to you and make reservations on your behalf – they never let us down in their choices and it is worth mentioning here that Saumur should be considered a ‘gourmet destination’ – if you are foodies like us you will not be disappointed, La Gambetta, L’Alchemiste and L’Escargot all deserve places in the Michelin Guide!! And after a lovely evening meal it was glorious to return to our base (which we soon became accustomed to calling ‘home’) to stay a while in the wood panelled reception rooms beautifully lit with candles and chandeliers and listen to the faint sound of classical music wafting through.
Would we go again? Yes, in a heartbeat! It is not budget accommodation, but it is worth every Euro!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Verrières is an élégant Château, built in 1895 to host receptions and elegant parties for the officers from the famous Cavalry School. It has been artfully restored, romantic atmosphere. Only 10 rooms and Suite to welcome you. Each room is unique, filled with light through the high windows. Verrieres stands in huge grounds with a heated pool, spa and sauna. Step in directly into the heart of old Saumur and make your choice among the delicious restaurant located around Verrières. Free wi-fi and parking. All comfort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Chateau de Verrieres & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chateau De Verrieres Saumur
- Chateau De Verrieres Hotel Saumur