“Chose Your Room”
Review of Anne d'Anjou

Anne d'Anjou
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Saumur
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We stayed for one night on a wine tasting trip to the Loire Valley,Saumur is a pretty town and this Hotel is within walking distance of the town . I have to agree with other reviews , the staff were very friendly but the Hotel is in a very old building .We had Room 101 comfortable with a good bathroom and with a beautiful view over the Loire BUT on the first floor beside a busy road .This was one of the expensive rooms but if you are a light sleeper ,beware as traffic noise will intrude . Our Wifi connection which was free would not work on either of our IPAD's on arrival until the following morning, and the breakfast was all buffet including the coffee from a machine , adequate but nothing to write home about. We had dinner out so cannot comment on the restaurant , overall I think the previous reviews sum this Hotel up and hope this addition helps fellow travellers

Room Tip: Take note of traffic noise if you have a room on the front.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 6, 2012

We enjoyed Anne D`Anjou for three nights in Saumur. It is a very old building and may appear a little dark inside but we found it to have a nice atmosphere and to be very comfortable and clean. The shower was fantastic! Our room overlooked the Loire River and we enjoyed looking at the river in the early morning and evening light. There was plenty of space to unpack everything. We were not disturbed by the occasional traffic noise. If this potentially poses a problem for you ask for a room overlooking the garden and enjoy the view of the Chateau!

The owner was frequently in the lobby making sure all guests felt welcome and at home. She recommended some good restaurants and made us comfortable in the garden each evening for our pre-dinner drinks. She also helped with suggested outings and assisted us with our train booking. Nothing was too much trouble.

We were delighted to find our first lift of our trip and we never had to wait for it . Often we walked the staris to work off some of the red wine and cheese we had consumed!

Saumur is a lovely town , and Anne D`Anjou was within easy walking distance to the town centre. The Saturday market was one of the best I have seen in Europe, so fresh and colourful with all the locals purchasing products. We purchased the makings of a picnic at the market which we enjoyed on the banks of the Loire River outside Chinon.

This hotel made a good base to explore the region

Room Tip: ! Our room overlooked the Loire River and we enjoyed looking at the river in the early morning an...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 1, 2012

very nice stay, nice and great rooms with al accomadations
parking in house
nice terras with view onto the castle
and the restaurant ; the best in Saumur Michelin recommandation worth

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Look up from the courtyard and you see the Chateau on the hill above. Great views of the city from there. Don't go to the restaurant in the courtyard. It is pretentious and expensive. It is a renovated home so it is pleasant in that way. Small rooms as usual. Nive breakfast.

Room Tip: You have a choice of a view of the chateau (probably quieter) or the river and street.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank DaveChicago_Illinois
Reviewed May 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in mid-April. The owner of the hotel was frequently in the lobby making sure that guests had were content and to provide information. The front desk spoke fluent English and always had a smile and helpful information. Portions of the hotel have historic interest particularly the art on the ceilings above the staircase.

There is a single elevator in the hotel so there are occasional slow-ups. The room was clean, well equipped with wireless and a flat screen TV. Our room was located on the Loire River side of the hotel and the view at sunset or sunrise was really quite beautiful. We left the window open at night and were rarely disturbed by the street traffic below. There is a wardrobe in the room which could easily accommodate all our clothes. We enjoyed the included breakfast which went far beyond the usual breakfast in France and included hot dishes, as well as lovely croissants, teas, coffees, yoghurts, cereals, fruit and cheeses. A good start to the day.

The center of town is about a ten minute walk from the hotel. In general the town is easily walkable. There are quite a few excellent restaurants in the area around the town square. One morning we went for a walk and ended up at the Combier Distillery where Triple Sec originated - its about a half hour walk from the hotel and provides tours and free samples of its many products. Saumur is in a wine -growing region and the wines produced can be purchased at the lovely hotel restaurant - Les Menestreles, which is quite popular.. The food was very good, nicely presented and the the service excellent.

A nice stay and we would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 10, 2012

The warning signs were there when this hotel wouldn't let me book an additional night beyond what I'd booked through an online booking site unless I completely cancelled the online booking (thereby depriving the online site of its commission). I had asked them for a quiet room, and they obliged by giving me one on the chateau side. The view was spectacular, but the walls in the hotel are paper-thin, and someone in the adjoining room had a horrible hacking smoker's cough.

The interior walls are ultra-thin. In addition to hearing every cough and wheeze of my neighbor, I could hear conversations and bathroom sounds. I asked if they had another room. They showed me another room on the street side, which had a beautiful river view, but was also on the main road. In addition to being noisy, it had an odd yeasty odor, which was less pleasant than the odor of smoke in the other room. It also had a much older and sagging mattress so I returned to the first room. In the process, the hotel key got misplaced, which I notified them of immediately.

I was scheduled to stay 4 nights. On the second day I asked the desk clerk if I could check out a night early and he told me it would be no problem and even recommended a hotel in Angers. On my last night, a different person told me I would have to pay for the 4th night, even though I'd already paid for a room elsewhere. It took a long, unpleasant conversation with the manager on the morning on which I checked out to get them not to charge me for the night I wasn't staying. After finally prevailing on them not to charge me, he told me, however, that I would have to pay them 86 Euros (about $115) for the room key. Since I had never taken the key out of the hotel (it weighs a ton), I told them the key had to be in the second room I'd looked at or in my luggage, though I had searched that the moment the key went missing. Of course, since they had waited 2 days to tell me there would be a charge for a lost key, I could no longer look for it in the 2nd room as it was occupied. There are no signs notifying you of the stiff charge if you lose the key, nor do they offer to let you take the key off the heavy metal base, which is apparently the costly part. I eventually found the key in the compartment where the handle for my luggage is, but for them to even try to charge that much for a lost key is criminal. To their credit they did eventually agree not to charge me, but it took a good 20 minutes of polite but firm arguing.

This was the only hotel I stayed in that didn't have reprogrammable keys. Even if you don't lose the key, the fact that they are still using old-fashioned keys makes the rooms less secure, and there are no safes in the rooms. There is also no A/C, and no central heat. There is a radiator and a separate noisy unit in the bathroom that cycles on and off loudly.

The staff spoke English, and other than the manager were pleasant and helpful -- hence the 2 stars. There are more centrally located hotels in Saumur (this one was a longish walk from the center), but Chinon is even prettier and much more lively and if I had to do it over I'd have stayed there. The courtyard might be nice in summer, but in May it's just an unappealing patch of dirt.

The on-site restaurant Les Menestrals is gorgeous and one of the few fine dining sites near the center. The food was not spectacular, but it was such a pretty restaurant I didn't mind and the service was impeccable.

Eat at Les Menestrals, but stay somewhere else.

The first room I was given

Room Tip: Rooms on the chateau side are quieter, but the interior walls are still very thin. Unless you are a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Linda P
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Had a lovely room overlooking the Loire. Staff was so helpful in recommending restaurants. It's a convenient location for sightseeing - Chinon, Usse, Fontevraud, etc. Plus they have parking!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple