“Fresh and innovative dining.”
Review of L'Aromate

L'Aromate
Ranked #5 of 130 Restaurants in Saumur
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Quaint and warm place. Nice owners. I think we were lucky to get a table. They were turning people away shortly after we sat down. The menu is unique and limited with delightful selections of fish,meat,duck, etc. nice wine list. Do not pass on dessert! Amazing desserts! If you are in Saumur, try this fabulous little restaurant. It does not disappoint!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

This small resto is beautifully renovated in a modern style. The staff were professional and eager to please. But best of all was the food. Well designed menu offering a wide choice of prix fixe or a la carte and specials. Portion size was large and the kitchen produced some of the best fois gras, salads, mains and desert I had on the entire holiday.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

42 Rue Maréchal Leclerc 49000 SAUMUR
Tél. : 02 41 51 31 45 E-mail : laromate@bbox.fr

First Impressions
The restaurant is a small modern chic and stylish place located just a short walk from the center of Saumur. The staff are very welcoming and they spoke good enough English to help my wife and I through the evening. The owner and chef is Laurent Chauvagne who, I was informed , is an outstanding French chef. He was very modest.

The Food & Service
The menu was small, simple but full of tasty surprises. We eat the following;
START - Fois Gras with mushrooms Palma Ham & a cream sauce. Smoked Salmon Salad with a basil dressing and chive crème French.
MAIN – Duck with bean sprouts, thin sliced potatoes & goat’s cheese in filo pastry spring roll with roasted new potatoes and broad beans & broccoli.
Sirloin Steak with seasonal potatoes and broccoli florets and broad beans.
DESERT – Chocolate fondant with strawberries cream & strawberry sorbet. Crème Brule
The service was very good and the waitress was very helpful. The food was very good it was well presented and full of flavour.

Overall
This restaurant was recommended to me whilst I was visiting Saumur and I was not disappointed. It was good traditional and hearty French food full of flavor and the staff were helpful and polite. There was a party here on the night we visited which added to the great atmosphere in the restaurant.

Service- 8/10
The Food- 8/10
Value for Money - 10/10. The meal cost £75.00 for 2 with a ½ bottle of wine

1  Thank thehungrybutcher
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Was closed last year for hols and has obviously realised what they were missing. Well patronised by Brits. Twice visited. David and I chose the 27 euro menu which we thought was much better than the 20 euro one. First we had a bottle of Rigoletto from Domaine de la Paleine. Today we have just visited their cave and purchased 18 bottles to take home. Vins de Saumur.

Anyway we had nice fish dishes at the restaurant and good desserts. Second visit we had a nice bottle of light red wine. I would recommend this restaurant to others, a bit better that L'escargot and L'alchimiste. About 100euros.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We tried this place on our second night. The lady at our B&B hadn't yet tried it but we found the food and wine very good and the service excellent.