“lunch with the locals”

Ranked #71 of 128 Restaurants in Saumur
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 13, 2013

After much siging of Mona Pizza( to the tune of Mona Lisa) by my husband every time we passed this restaurant, we finally ventured in a the end of our holiday. We sat in the front dining room and had a very entertaining hour with local workers who ordered the largest steaks I have every seen. My amazement was great entertainment for them.
My husband had pizza which was freshly made with a delicious thin crust. I had confit du Canard with potatoes dauphinois after reading a recommendation but definitely won't be passing that recomendation on. The pizza and steak seem to be the best options. Service was slow, particularly as the restaurant wasn't busy but polite.

There are newer reviews for Mona Pizza

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Really liked this restaurant. All food seemed to be freshly prepared and was excellent. We ordered pizza which was the most obvious but I later noticed that a lot of locals seemed to be ordering magnificent looking steaks. Would definitely try one of those if get a chance to return.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

After a week surrounded by cassoulet, fois gras, confit and Sarladaise potatoes, this vegetarian was ready for a lighter change of pace. I ordered one of the wood-fired pizzas, another in my party had a salad, and the table across from us had the lasagna, which looked (and smelled) divine. The pizza was wonderfully crisp (and still retained its texture after a night in the hotel fridge, a rare feat indeed!) and topped with fresh baby arugula. The wine list included several local vintages for 3 Euro a glass.

The restaurant is small and intimate; there was Italian music (pop and opera) playing in the background, and it felt like a neighborhood joint rather than one of the many cafes found along the main drag (Rue Roosevelt). You can also order your pizza to go. This was a fun detour with great pizza that I would happily visit again!

Reviewed August 24, 2012

The place is really nice, cousy, out of the main restaurant road in Saumur.
The pizza was very good, with a good amount of rocket salad. I had a spicy pizza that was quite spicy indeed.
During the espresso time after dinner, the waiter did a magic trick for some kids on the other table, everybody in the place enjoyed. Good experience in a beautiful city.

1  Thank GuiGiustina
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We walked past this place one night and couldn't get in as it was very busy. So we went a couple of nights later when it was fairly quiet but did fill up. The pizzas are good - thin, crispy and well covered and they come with a nice garnish of rocket. But we thought they were a bit pricey - up to 14 Euros for a pizza, some restaurants were offering a complete menu for that price. It didn't represent such good value for money as other places we visited but if you like a good crispy pizza that isn't too salty this place is well worth a visit.