“Its all a facade!”

L'Auberge Saint Pierre
Reserve with
L'Auberge Saint Pierre is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #102 of 129 Restaurants in Saumur
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Our friends had raved and raved about this place, so we were dying to try it out. We arrived and had to move as our table was literally swarming with flies. Then fooled into ordering aperitifs at 6 euros a glass as we werent allowed to have the food menu. Or a wine menu.

Nibbles and fizzy arrived, 10mins later the over sized menus were given to us. 6 on a table, we couldn't read the menus without hitting each other. Was quite comical until we couldn't really find much to eat.

There are fixed menus but limited foods & some of the translations for the more adventurous foods were not v clear.

We avoided entrees and went for mains and hopefully desserts. I ordered Coq au vin, partner ordered the pork and others ordered hamburgers and Salmon.

Wine is by the bottle at minimum 18 euros per bottle. No pichets like other restaurants. We ordered Saumur Champingy because we like the musty reds, vielles vignes too - at 26euros a bottle. This was between 5 of us and we had to ask twice for water. Very unusual for Saumur restaurants.

Food was tasty, I loved Coq au Vin. Again, cooked in a Saumur Champingy wine but very anaemic chicken. Chips were nice. More like potato chips though, as opposed to pommes frites as advertised. Two with hamburgers found it disgusting. Couldn't eat it. There was something additional in the burger, we couldn't work out what it was... Pork was tasty. More like gammon but drowned in Honey.

Plates cleared and given dessert menus, we chose and we waited. For 45mins.

I was bored, wineless and still hungry. I asked for the bill & then was told to go inside to pay. Bill came to 150 euros for 4 aperitif, 1 bottle of red and half bottle of white and 6 main courses.

we had a dog with us who is usually a little angel. She sits under the table and sleeps. The owners allow cats to loiter so our little chien spent the whole time looking for the cats and barking at them. My brother (it was his dog) found it very stressful and argued constantly with us, then he didn't eat half the hamburger.

We went to another restaurant for desserts & cafe. 30euros and that included 2 bieres and a large glass of white wine.

Would not recommend.

It ruined our last night.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

It is always interesting reading other reviews, and finding that they differ from your experiences!
We thought at first that this was just a chain restaurant likely to be serving typical fast food - but check the menu - very different.
By choosing local specialities we had a different but good meal, and quite reasonably priced. I would recommend looking at the À La carte section and try out something new! The bone marrow was delicious, the mushrooms with snails goos, although quite mean with the snails! Beef carpaccio was as good as ever, and the lamb shanks with ginger disappeared quickly!
It is in a busy square, so don't expect a quiet meal à deux!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We ordered coq au vin. The food was delivered to our table within 5 minutes - too quick! The chicken leg was overcooked, tough and not enough meat on it. The vegetables were overcooked as well. In my broken French I said to the waitress that the chicken was sick - "Il est malade". My wife had crème bruleé which was tasty. The owners let lots of cats run riot in the restaurant. This can be offputting as some customers feed these felines.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Visited with my wife. Set in a nice location on a square with quite a few restaurants and bars.
I had the Salted Entrecôte which was fatty and chewy. For desert I had a chocolate tart filled with lemon curd which was average at best. My wife had caremelized pork which she thought was average but certainly not caremelized. We both had a cocktail each to drink. Neither of us could taste any alcohol in our drinks!
Total was €58 which is way too much for an bad meal!
Told the waiter about the poor entrecôte. His response was that entrecôte is always fatty!
Overall there has to be better so try somewhere else as you're unlikely to get any worse!

1  Thank PKatVCR
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Visited this restaurant twice and both times the food did not disappoint. Lovely setting in a bustling square. Staff were very friendly and helpful with recommendations of food and wine. Beef bourguignon absolutely delicious as was the coq au vin. My husbands favourite was the ginger lamb shank and creme brûlée. Saturday is a good day for lunch as there is a market in the square so plenty to look at whilst having a leisurely lunch.

2  Thank Tracey H