“Food good when we eventually got it”

L'Auberge Saint Pierre
Reserve with
L'Auberge Saint Pierre is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #97 of 124 Restaurants in Saumur
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Mustbetrue
“Food good when we eventually got it”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This restaurant is in the place Saint Pierre in Saumur and on a Wednesday night was one of few restaurants to choose from and therefore very busy! We sat for half an hour before even being acknoweldged then probably a further half hour before any order was taken (inc drinks&food). Once we finally ordered the set menu, the food was good - traditional boeuf bourgignon and coupe de glaces/ dark choc&orange mousse especially tasty! Value was OK but lacking in staff which unfortunately let this restaurant down.

Visited September 2012

Northern Ireland
“Avoid!! (the first time I've ever advised that!)”
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

I'm just sorry that I have to rate it 1 point. My husband, our 2 year old son and I ate here on the 12th September, having decided on a change from our old faithful, the Brasserie du Theatre in the main square. What a mistake. McDonalds would have given us a welcome and better food. We chose it for the menu which listed traditional dishes and because we thought we had eaten there man years ago when it was much smaller and run by a very busy but effective lady. We sat down at a table outside at 7pm, a civilised hour to eat at in France. The square was busy for a Wednesday and we thought there would be a little ambience. We were greeted by a woman I could only describe as insolent. I asked for a high chair which was eventually produced with reluctance. Grumpy eventually took our order, looking disdainfully at me when I asked if they did wine in a carafe ( from long experience, this is often a fairly decent local wine). We ordered the set menus so that we cold have could have the coq au vin and boeuf bourguinonne. I ordered the child's menu for our son as well. Drinks arrived eventually via a young waiter than starters quite some time later. The restaurant was far from busy and we had arrived first. The starters arrived with our son's meal. They were small and not terribly flavoursome. Eventually the table was cleared and after another delay, main courses arrived. They were small, the beef had lots of gristle and were at best lukewarm. I would have complained only it was nigh on impossible to catch the staff's attention, especially the insolent one's. We ate up and sat for ages. Grumpy/Insolent came and took our dessert order. She waltzed off not lifting so much as a fork from the table. After some time, a waiter arrived with the bill!!! The dirty main course dishes were still on the table! And he gave the bill to our son!! We enquired about dessert - he was embarrassed and took the bill away. Someone else came and cleared the table. And still we waited... After about 20 minutes, I went to the counter and asked what the problem was with our desserts. Another lady asked someone else to check and we were told they were ready. By that stage, we just wanted to leave. Dessert was chocolate mouse for all three of us!! How easy is that?? I asked what had happened and the woman couldn't tell me. She said she would take the drinks off the bill as desserts were part of the set menu price. It was a poor deal and on hindsight, I should have refused this offer for a better deal. It was no compensation and I pointed out the short-comings of the restaurant. My French is good enough to pass as a local so it can't have been a language barrier. I feel gravely disappointed and stupid for not having gone back to the Brasserie du Theatre. Please avoid!! I wish I had read the reviews before going as in this case the large number of 'terribles' would have told the tale.

Kidderminster, United Kingdom
“Good Food”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The meal and service was better than we expected from the first look of the place. It was a wet evening but was undercover. Service and food was good value. A meal for 2 with drinks was 49 euros.

Visited June 2012
UK
“What a big disappointment...”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We had visited this establishment on a couple of occasions and had reasonable meals. This time it was pretty dire. We ordered a gin and tonic, which came without lemon or ice, just gin and ready poured tonic in a very small glass, couldn't barely taste the gin. The main course of Coq au Vin looked like road kill, it was scrawny and stringy and difficult to cut, it was also totally tasteless, not a herb in sight, so I called the waitress and sent it back, telling her I would refuse to pay for it. My husband had ordered Beef Bourguignonne, so as his looked OK and had plenty of meat I decided I would share his. What a mistake, meat with no flavour, worse still gravy with no flavour. Truly awful. This got sent back as well. We paid for our wine, drinks and starters and left, never to return to this tourist rip off..

• Visited September 2012
Northern Ireland
“Biggest disappointment dining in France”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Past experience had led me to believe you cannot go wrong with restaurants in France but this was not the case here. What the menu promised it failed to deliver. Bread stuffed with snail and pigs trotter utterly tasteless; Sea bass en croute with chorizo, was fish with red shavings on the skin which perhaps contained a hint of chorizo but could not be sure; the only redeeming feature of the meal was a good creme brulee.
Should have complained but the language barrier stopped me, and the pace of service was so slow it was a relief to get anything on a plate. Could not help noticing the service of tourists was very slow and surly, whilst when locals arrived to eat at the next table they were greeted warmly and their food came out quickly.

• Visited August 2012