“Nice rooms, reception, staff, breakfast not great”

Mercure Le Mans Centre
Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in Le Mans
Oxfordshire, UK
“Nice rooms, reception, staff, breakfast not great”
Reviewed November 16, 2011

The rooms very clean, and nicely decorated, comfortable bed although would have preferred a double bed to two singles! A small quiet bar is available in the evening which was perfectly pleasant.

The continental breakfast was fine, the usual fare, but the cooked options not so great... hardly anything there, nearly empty serving dishes, and no one re-filling them, and what was there was cold.

I expected more for the price.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank TheChunkyMonkey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
London, England
Reviewed August 29, 2011

An old building but attractive. Floorboards creak somewhat which meant we heard from our upstairs neighbours a fair bit !

A small room but equipped with a comfortable bed and an espresso machine and free soft-drinks in the minibar (I don’t think those benefits are standard – I believe they came with the particular internet deal booked through the Accor website).

Bath towels very small indeed by UK standards

A good car park if a little tricky to find.

Breakfast was of decent quality if a little expensive for the extent of the selection. A plus point was the “bio” table of healthy/organic options.

Very friendly and helpful staff. And only 10 minutes walk to the old town.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I stayed over one night at le mans on a motorbike tours to the south and found city center mercer my perfect home away from home. The garage is very good ( important in a busy downtown area) and the receptionist ( Claire) speaks at least 7 languages. Excellent location, excellent rooms. No restaurant other than for breakfast but many close by.

• Stayed August 2011
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2011

After some problems at another Accor Hotel in Le Mans, I decided to check-in at Mecure Hotel, in order to give them another chance, as I know Mercure in UK is a reputable brand and I expected a very good servicein France as well. I can tell you now that it was a big mistake.

I arrived at the hotel on a Saturday. The hotel was obvious nearly empty. As I did not have a reservation I went to Reception to find out how much it will cost me for 2 nights. Considering that the hotel was not busy at all and after a bit of negociation with the nice lady in Reception, we agreed at a rate of 100 euros for the first night ( as supposed to be double occupancy) and 80 euros ,second night just for myself, with breakfast included. Unfortunatelly , I failed to inform Reception that it will be single occupancy for both night, as my friend decided to go back home as he lives not far from Le Mans, but he did join me for breakfast on Sunday Morning. However as it was my mistake I was prepared to pay the agreed rate of 100 euros for the first night.

The rom was very large, bright, well appointed, but the cleanliness far from a 4 star hotel standard, as I found some hair on the bathroom floor and also the wall above the head-board, painted in dark red , had a thick layer of dust, very visible. However I did not complain, as I was there to enjoy, not to get annoyed.

On Monday morning when I went to pay my bill, I was surprised to notice that I was charged 100 euros each night and on top of that I was charged for breakfast too. I did explained to the gentleman behind the desk, that this is not the rates promised me by his colleague, who worked over the week-end. He said that is not possible as 80 euros is not their room rates. I did ask to speak to the lady who checked me in, but apprently she was off duty. I asked then to speak to the Manager and he was quick to reply that he is the Manager. I explained again what was agreed when I checked in, but he was adamant that I am telling him only lies. I did say that I am not prepared to pay the amount he is asking me to and his answer was unbelievable: '' you can leave. I have your credit card details here, so I will charge anyway''. I was shocked with this answer coming from a Manager. I asked for his name and he produced a business card: Poirier Sylvain -Directeur. I cannot believe how someone with such a poor customer service can be a Manager. In UK , not a chance. I told him that in UK when a customer is promised something, then we keep our promises. Obviously in France is not working the same way. If this is the way Mr. Poirier is treating his customers, then I am not surprised the hotel was empty.

In the end he reduced the rate for the second night to 85 euros ( even it was agreed 80) and also removed one charge for breakfast ( I still paid for one, even supposed to be included).
This situation showed me that there a gross lack of internal communication. He should have listen at what I had to say and after that carry out an internal investigation, regarding the rate I was promised when I checked in. This what A MANAGER would and should do.

I have the address of Accor Hotels Head office in France and I will wrtite a detailed complaint letter. Is not about the 29 euros I over-paid, it is about the way I was treated and the way he make me feel, like a lying thief.

In the hotel over that week-end were 4-5 guests all together, so they decided to charge the customers they had to make up the loss of revenue for the entire hotel.

Extremely bad. This sort of people should not be allowed to be anywhere near a customer, let alone being promoted to a managerial position. Accor should review their promotion/ recruitment strategy as a matter of urgency.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo