“Did the job, but at a price”

Hotel Novotel Le Mans
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in Le Mans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Thatcham, United Kingdom
“Did the job, but at a price”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed for one night to break a long journey and it did this well. The location was easy to find and not far from the motorway. Parking was suitable, check in swift and the staff all very pleasant and helpful. The room was great and did just what we needed. The food and wine in the restaurant were also very good.

Now the downside - for what it was, it was very expensive, particularly the bar and restaurant. We didn't look for anywhere else to eat in the area (we chose the hotel as it had the restaurant and we didn't want the hassle of searching after an 8 hour drive) but assume there wasn't anywhere else close by. So the hotel has a monopoly - and uses it!

Overall, it did the job we needed well, but at a very steep price.

• Stayed August 2013
Martine G, Directeur général at Hotel Novotel Le Mans, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay in our hotel. I am pleased to see that our services provided you satisfaction.

Regarding your comments on our bar and restaurant prices, our hotel is part of the Novotel brand and as such, our restaurant prices are fixed on a national scale.
Nevertheless, our Chef offers a selection of daily specials prepared with seasonal products at lower costs on a daily basis.
During your stay, we were also proposing several buffet options at very competitive prices.

Looking forward to welcoming you again at Novotel Le Mans, I send you my sincere greetings.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

And now I'll go and remark on it!
It's a Novotel, with beds, in Le Mans. That's it. We stayed here as it's right next to the tramstop, allowing an easy journey into the centre for the very remarkable Nuit des Chimeres. The hotel was clean and tidy inside, the room was clean, well-equipped, fairly spacious and air-conditioned. There's free wifi, free secured parking and an outside pool. It's in a vaguely downmarket district, but we didn't see any trouble. The outside of the hotel is looking a little shabby and is in need of renovation.

Both breakfast and evening meals were pricey, so we chose to eat elsewhere - and didn't regret it. So it did tick many boxes, but I still resented paying €100 for somewhere to sleep - I'd value it at half that. It certainly wasn't 'business class'. Unremarkable, but the only hotel in Le Mans with free secure parking and easy access to the tram. I still don't know why I was charged €1 on my credit card to open a tab when they knew I had to pay €3 the next day in local taxes.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay in our hotel. I am pleased to see that our services were up to your expectations.

Regarding your comments about your check in the amount of one euro is not a charge on your credit card. It is a simple check of the validity of your credit card. This procedure is part of our security policy and is necessary to allow our team to bill extras (bar, restaurant, laundry ...) on your room during your stay.

South Wales
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We booked a night in this hotel so we could visit the race track the following day. Have never stayed in a Novotel before but read that they are very similar to a Premier Inn or Travelodge here in the UK so we didn't set out sights too high.

Hotel is situated to the south of Le Mans and as a good tram link into the city. The tram is electric so it doesn't cause any disturbance. There is a lovely river running past the hotel should you fancy a nice walk and there is good access onto the ring road.

Check in was nice a quick and they even gave the little one a small toy. The chap behind the desk was helpful in explaining what was around the area and what facilities were on offer.

The room was very basic. We were not expecting the Ritz for what we paid (<€50 through expedia) but it did offer air conditioning, a comfortable bed, a large sofa bed and the usual items you expect to find in a hotel room these days.

A small children’s area and pool are available to use. My only criticism was that the pool was so cloudy that you couldn't see the bottom at 1.3m and the access ladder had broken away from the side of the pool rendering it useless. Staff were informed of these but didn't seem interested.

Food wise, there is restaurant and brassiere but to be honest they were both over priced for what they were offering. There is a Carrefour supermarket a short walk from the hotel which we used for supplies for an evening picnic.

Would we stay here again? Perhaps as a stop over to break up a long drive but that’s about it. Pretty average budget hotel really.

Room Tip: The sofa bed folds out into two single beds
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Regarding your comments on our swimming pool, be assured that the nuature of the relations you had with our team is not usual. Our Technical Manager should have taken the necessary measures.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Easy to find and has parking on site which was a bonus. Short and easy tram ride into centre which goes from a stop just outside the hotel. The staff are really helpful and have done their best to make kids feel right at home with indoor and outdoor play facilities as well as a little gift on arrival -a nice touch.

• Stayed July 2013
Martine G, Directeur général at Hotel Novotel Le Mans, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay in our hotel. I am pleased to see that our services were up to your expectations and provided you full satisfaction.

London
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The more I stay in Novotels - nowadays only when I have to because they can be so convenient - the more I see them with few exceptions as tacky hotels providing dreadful value for money. This location perhaps is one of the worst. The location is near a tram line but apart from that convenience it's in a nondescript suburb of Le Mans. The staff are pleasant and professional but the building is tired, even though it's had a lick of paint and the latest Novotel makeover, and they cannot get away from the dingy corridors, small rooms and cheap fittings, all with the standard Novotel unpleasant fuzzy floor covering under your feet. As a previous reviewer says, our room had a smell of cigarette smoke as well. The restaurant food is nothing to rave about, the breakfast just about does the job, but for this level of hotel I expect to pay at most €50 a night, not twice that. Having stayed the previous evening in a hotel in the Spanish Zenit chain in Pamplona, spending €178 for three adults, two rooms, dinner and breakfast for all, and then being presented with a bill for almost €500 for the same thing but in tacky surroundings that cannot hold a candle to the Zenit's fit, finish, food and ambience, it's obvious to me that Novotel really has to up its game. Stay here if you have to, but set your expectations at the appropriate level.

Room Tip: Make sure you smell your room first. And avoid the pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about our hotel. You certainly see me sorry to hear that your stay was not up to your expectations.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team for this unsatisfactory stay.

You found our rooms too small and not well fitted. I assure you that our rooms meet the standards of the Novotel brand with an area of ​​25 square meters.
As you pointed out, we have 34 superior rooms which were completely renovated according to the latest Novotel makeover.

I am also pleased to inform you that we now offer executive rooms with bathrobe, slippers, mini bar and coffee machine included.

In hopes of having the pleasure to count you again among our guests to try our executive rooms, I send you my sincere greetings.
london
Reviewed July 27, 2013

this hotel was ok for one night , its a few minute tram ride to the centre of town , it looks a bit tired in places but the staff were friendly , its more of a business hotel than comfort ,it has a large car park but is over looked by blocks of flats , not the better part of town, if you go to the museum at the track its only a short car or tram ride

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Tramay and our free car park are indeed a big advantage of our hotel as they easily permit to visit the city center and 24 Hours circuit and museum in 15 minutes while staying in a unique green and calm setting.