“Excellent location”

Hotel Barriere Le Royal La Baule
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Excellent location”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I sayed in this hotel 5times,this is perfect place for thalassotherapy ,wonderful ocean view,old style of decoration ,fantastic beach with restaurant Rotonda,overall I really liked relax fresh air,but unfortunately last time in June was noisyli because near with hotel was open new night club,I didn't sleep every night,not good for relaxing place.But this hotel for me like a old movie!Jazz,coffee,wine!

Room Tip: Rooms on the ocean view,only!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Natalia M
ebequet, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Royal La Baule, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear Natalymaxime

First of all, I vwould like to thank you so much for your positive comments posted on this website about your stay at the Royal Thalasso Barriere hôtel in La Baule. Nevertheless, I have taken note of the fact that your stay was disturbed by noise coming from night club located in front of the hotel. It's a problem for us and for our guests, I know it.
I hope that despite this incident we will be able to welcome you again in La Baule.
Yours faithfully.

Emmanuel Béquet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 23, 2011

We stayed there for 2 nights in mid-November as a couple without kids. We had a deluxe 2 bedroom with sea view, it was on the 2nd floor (level 3 in America) with a little balcony. Overall we really liked it - we were there to relax and this did the trick. Nice staff. The bedroom was spacious, the bathroom was separate from the toilets, the decoration was really old style but this was charming. The breakfast buffet was better than the usual French breakfast buffet. The pool was nice, the water quite hot (32 C) with sea water which was quite nice for November. Note that this hotel offers "thalassotherapie", say 3 or 5 days of wellness treatments (massages and other spa treatments) and you have a whole side of the buffet that is deemed diet with calorie count. Same thing for the menu of the restaurant: you have a diet section. We were not impressed by the restaurant and thought the food only average - especially compared to other restaurants we tried nearby: Nossy Bay (on the beach walking distance), la Villa and la Croisette on Avenue de Gaulle (15 minutes walking distance from hotel). Impressive service at these last 2 restaurants, it was definitely above average for restaurants in French. Cute stores on Avenue de Gaulle. We didn't try the casino next to the hotel. The movie theater was quite nice for such a small town. The beach is really fantastic and we enjoyed our walks, we were lucky with the weather: blue sky in the mid to high 60s.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank SouthwellGardens
ebequet, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Royal La Baule, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
Dear Southwellgardens

First of all, I would like to thank so much for your comments posted on this website and obviously for choosing the Royal thalasso Barriere hotel for your last stay in La Baule.
I have read very carefully your comments and thank again for your description of your stay. You liked it, you overall appreciated the service and the quality of equipments. Despite the positive points you mentioned, I've noted that you were not impressed by the restaurant La Rotonde and thought the food only average, especially compared to other restaurants we tried nearby.
Nevertheless, I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you in a near futur in La Baule.
See you very soon at the Royal thalasso Barriere,
Sincerely yours.

lebanon lb
Reviewed October 15, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for one night and all I can say ,it was excellent

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
ebequet, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Royal La Baule, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Dear Sylvia K

First of all, I wish to thank you so much for your recent comment on this website concerning your last stay at the Hotel Royal Thalasso Barriere in La Baule. I'm very happy you enjoyed your stay, and it's a satisfaction for me and my staff.
Looking forward to your next visit in La Baule,

Yours faithfully,

Mold, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2011

REVIEW RE RESTAURANT ONLY
A special meal to end a five week touring holiday throughout France and Spain turned out to be one of our most dissappointing.
The setting of this large period 5" hotel in the charming town of la Baule is stunning and the food would have been good if it had been served after a reasonable passage of time. We were one of the first to arrive and one of the last to leave!. The quality of the food was excellent, however the main course was served cold, and I mean cold!! with a skim having been formed on the sauce. The wine waitor took the order and left an open bottle of wine on the table. That was it!! - no tasting, no pouring, -NOTHING. We watched in amusement as he seemed busy doing very little. When we finally obtained the bill, it was far too much and additional courses had been incorrectly placed on the bill. Very grudgingly these were removed, but with little apology, just a shrug.
This review is obviously the result of one visit and hopefully is not typical of the hotel. We had two other superb meals in La Baule which made up for this dissapointment.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
ebequet, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Royal La Baule, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Dear UK Travellers89

First of all I would like to thank you for your comments on this website, further to your recent stay at the Royal Thalasso Barriere hotel in La Baule. I have read very carefully your comments on your stay, and I kindly request to accept my sincere apologises for this unusual suite of inconveniences about the service in The restaurant La Rotonde, which is reflected not at all the Lucien Barriere standarts of fine service and quality we want to offer all our guests. You spent to much time in the restaurant due of a slow service, and unfortunately the wine waiter did not make his work. Please be assured, that we now have done and we will do everything possible to prevent any incident of this type to happen again.
Despite the points you mentioned, I hope that we will have the oppotunity to welcome you in a near futur in the Royal Thalasso Barriere.

Sincerely yours.

General manager
Central England
Reviewed May 17, 2011

The barriere hotel is in a great position and gives exceptional service. Although we were on a golfing trip and in the hotel residence, every thing about the hotel was first class. It was a bit strange to have people in dressing gowns parading around during the day, but there you go! Not sure what the other reviewers want, but if you like classy hotels that are slightly dated, this is the one. There also seemed to be lively night life. which kept me a wake on certaim on certain occasions.

• Stayed May 2011
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I stayed at this hotel 6 nights during the course of a Thalassotherapy cure at the adjoining Thalgo Spa.

The rooms: I was upgraded upon arrival (always a nice surprise, and very unexpected since I was travelling alone). The room is a bit dated (heard that rooms would have been redone if it hadn't been for the financial crisis), but spacious and extremely clean. Very comfortable bed. Friendly and helpful housekeeping staff.

The restaurant: Excellent food, friendly and professional service, although they did get a bit overwhelmed during dinner some of the days, as the hotel was full due to school holiday in Paris and any of the guests were there with children. The possibility of taking breakfast in the room at no additionnal charge is a definite plus. I did however miss the possibility to take a lighter meal at the hotel, as both restaurants served full meals but no salads or snacks.

Other services: The Thalgo centre is just fantastic, nothing else to say. Great pools (I love salt water pools). Free use of bicycle, which is very nice since the centre og town is a 15 minutes walk from the hotel.

Conclusion: As part of a package with the Thalgo centre, this was a good value stay and I would definitely repeat the experience. I really appreciated the friendliness and efficiency of the service on all levels, which in my view compensates for the somewhat dated rooms. Note: since my mother thongue is French, I have no idea how service quality may be perceived by non-French speakers.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Andreanne75
Surrey
Reviewed October 29, 2009

I stayed at this hotel in Sep 09 (granted only for 1 night) with my sister. The hotel is in need of a major refurbishment- the decor looks shabby and does not fit a hotel of this star rating. The room was adequate, but again perhaps not what we were really expecting from a Barriere property. We used the indoor pool, sauna etc which were fine, but the edges of the pool were mouldy and it just looked like it needed either a good clean or a lick of paint. We knew what to expect from La Baule and you kind of get the feeling that the town has maybe lost some of its charm and past glamour. However we walked the full extent of the beach in the evening which we really enjoyed. We would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family