“lost its game!”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 31, 2013

we went on a 14 July/Bastille Day, France national holiday that was this year on a Sunday. The whole city was quiet except la place du Vieux-Marché where the Couronne is situated. I have lived in Rouen for 10 years and I am from Normandie so quite familiar with the cuisine and the history of Rouen.
I was reluctant at first to go to La Couronne who is no longer a good "adresse" in Rouen but known as a tourist trap.
I was surprise by the inviting patio and the building is quite something... worth checking out. As I was traveling with a Canadian I thought why not he could be a great experience.
It was unfortunately the worth meal, service and Calvados of our three weeks traveling France.
The service took for ever it was not very good and when I order their specialty (on a F... 14 july) they didn't have it anymore. I later learned by ask a great waiter inside (while I was checking there Calvados selection) that the patissier had left so nobody could make dessert.
The service was also so slow that we missed the beginning of the firework (10:30pm).
their is better restaurants in Rouen.... la place du vieux-Marché is not the place to find good food.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,176)

Reviewed July 10, 2013

After experiencing particularly rude service (even by French standards) it was wonderful to have dinner at La Couronne in Rouen. Why it's not already up there near the top of the best restaurants in Rouen I don't know as we ate in a couple of the others and they just don't compare. From the moment we sat down we were treated with consideration and kindness as opposed to the bored resignation of so many French waiters. We started with a main course as we wanted to leave room for dessert but we were brought a range of starter pastries that were just delicious. Our main was wonderful and the dessert to follow scrumptious (although it isn't necessary to put Chantilly cream on everything!) This was then followed by petit fours which were complimentary and delicious coffee and liqueurs. Throughout all this we had two and sometimes three waiters buzzing around although unobtrusively.
Sitting outside in the Place de Vieux Marche was lovely but we moved indoors for our coffee and the dining room is just beautiful - this place is a must.

1  Thank Moraig30
Reviewed July 8, 2013

After looking arround at the old market we choosed the oldest tavern of France.
Classic french food with excellent wine. Very good price and quality for the meat, nice cheese plate.

1  Thank gissiegissie
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We arrived on a rainy Monday morning in Rouen, with no dinner reservation. After hearing recommendations from the hotel valet, and reading about this restaurant, we decided to try it. We had an experience we won't forget. We were seated near a large copper contraption, and my husband asked what it was for. The waiter started explaining about the special "squized duck" (how it was spelled in the menu), prepared using this copper press. Long story short, a specially trained staff member made most of the dish right by our table. See my pictures! It was without a doubt the most elaborate meal we have ever had, and the service, food, wine was in our top five- and we have had some great meals.

1  Thank Leslie F
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The service is very attentive and the restaurant is attractive. Our entrees (oysters and pate) were excellent. The entrecôte that we shared (and asked for medium expecting medium rare) came partly raw (yes not even rare). We sent it back--of course, since it was sliced it came broiled on the outside. It was OK. Good cut of meat but not cooked properly. Dessert was excellent. Wines are pricey. lots of empty tables and only partly because of prices.