“More like a B&B than a hotel”

Hotel Ermitage Bouquet
Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Rouen
Kelowna, Canada
“More like a B&B than a hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed at the Ermitage for one night in early Rouen. I arrived by train in the city. The hotel is a 7 min. walk uphill along a somewhat bumpy sidewalk ( if you are pulling a wheelie case). It is a bit tricky to find at first as the entrance door is through what appears to be the entrance to a parking area. I could not open the hotel door at first ...nor realizing that I have to "buzz" first before the door is unlocked for me.
The registration area is a funny little alcove and the woman working there spoke very little English. She showed me to my room on the top floor ( caution.. no elevator). My room was a lovely cheery dormer room... charming. Nice furnishings. Room faced east so I would get the morning sun through the big dormer window.
There was AC in the room, which I needed to use as it was quite warm in the room. However, I had to get up in the night to turn it off as it worked too well!
The hotel was very very quiet that night. I felt like I was the only one in the building! Strange feeling.
The next morning, when I descended to the breakfast room, there was what I found to be an uncomfortable silence as the guests ate. No one talking... not even at their own tables. Breakfast was adequate... nothing special.
There are no cafes or restaurants nearby ( or at least I could not find any). When I asked the woman at the front desk where to eat, I thought she said (in French)... near the train station. However, there really wasn't much around there. She also did not tell me that I could have ordered a room service dinner from the hotel( I found a card on the desk with a few meal choices after I returned from gathering together some bits and pieces for a picnic back in the room). .Nor did she tell me that there was a sitting room/lounge area with a bar downstairs by the breakfast room .
The next morning, because my room faced east and towards the parking lot area, I was awakened very early by cars starting and doors slamming and people standing outside talking.
I would recommend asking for a room which does not face the parking area if possible.
The room was a reasonable price and was clean and comfortable. It just felt a little strange and not like a hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Once you realise that waht appears to be a narrow front door is actually a driveway to rear parking and that your car is actully a lot narrower than you think you will appreciate both the off street parking and the relatively short walk to the main sights. The hotel is well appointed as a tourist stopover and with helpful staff , decent breakfast - agood base to tackle Rouen.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Geewiz1948
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was easy to find arriving by car. Good secure parking, but would be difficult if your car is very large. Room very clean and comfortable. Double glazing kept street noise out. Good quiet air conditioning. Luxurious shower with multiple jets. Good breakfast, especially liked the fresh fruit and scrambled eggs.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Olliff-Thor
Binfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed here on way back from South-West France. Once located, the hotel was really comfortable and well maintained. Staff could not be friendlier and the overall service excellent. Rooms were very big with super king-sized bed and room fully air conditioned. Bathrooms included hi-tech shower.

Breakfast is continental style buffet but there was everything you could want available.

Be warned, entrance to the parking is extremely tight but cars appeared very safe behind hotel.

Recommended and I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alanlee1
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights, 2 rooms (2 teenagers), to explore Rouen, and the surrounding area.
Hotel about 3 mins walk to the central train station, about 5-10 mins walk to centre of city. Nice safe area. Cafes for breakfast (hotel breakfast at E14 too expensive!) within 5 mins walk.
Clean, very friendly staff - made us welcome and very helpful - rooms very clean, bathroom very clean, rooms were big/spacious, with everything we needed (safe, extra pillows, blanket, fridge). Would recommend this hotel - it has a bit of personality/style!

Room Tip: we had rooms 15 & 17 which looked out on the street - it was not a very buzy street, but you can...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

A friend and I stayed for three nights. On arrival we were greeted by a wonderful young man whose name I didn't get, but he spoke good English and couldn't have been more helpful. The rooms were basic but clean and cool. We had changed hotels as the one we originally booked had a number of reviews criticising the air conditioning. We went out for dinner but on our return the rooms were like ovens and it turned out the air conditioning had stopped working. There was a different person on the desk and he really wasn't that interested. His only suggestion was to open the windows. Both our rooms were on the street side and very noisy. My room was on the ground floor and so I didn't feel safe opening the window so we both spent a terrible night, very hot. The next morning there was yet another person on the desk, an older man than his predecessors. He couldn't have been more helpful. He told us he would move us to other rooms on the car park side and what is more upgraded us to suites! Seemingly the car park side of the hotel has air conditioning that works on a different system so if you stay in this hotel and the weather is warm request this side of the building. Once we moved rooms we couldn't have had a better stay. The hotel is pretty basic but very close to the rail station (we were travelling by train quite a bit) and not too far from the old centre of Rouen. Breakfast at the hotel was extra but pleasant and with a good choice.

Room Tip: Car park side and not ground floor. The street side is noisy and on the ground floor you can't...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Moraig30
Umea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Located in a beautiful townhouse with parking facilities (only smaller cars can fit through the gate though). Easy to find.
Excellent breakfast, friendly staff. About 15min walk to downtown. Free WiFi