“Not the best”

Hotel Morand
Ranked #17 of 51 Hotels in Rouen
“Not the best”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

It is quaint, well-located, affordable and the staff were very friendly. I can see why others like it but it was not for me -- I couldn't sleep. The building is old and, as they readily admit, not soundproofed. If you are a somewhat light sleeper, you will have problems sleeping here -- you can hear room neighbors' showers go on, cell phones go off, conversations in the hallway, creaking of the floors, etc. Another problem on the sleep front is that the mattress was as firm as a futon and the pillows weren't pillows but that long "uni-pillow" thing that is terrible for side sleepers. Between the noise and the bed, I barely slept.

I might also add that this is an old and retrofitted building. For example, the floor in my room was badly warped/pitched. I would not be surprised if there was a drop of 4-5 inches over the span of 10-12 feet. Electric cable runs in channels over the walls, the toilet is in a separate "room" apart from the shower (and raised up of of floor level, I assume to accommodate plumbing), etc. This is no big deal if you don't mind a little extra "character" but it is worth noting. I actually thought the appearance of the hotel was appropriate given its proximity to the old city. It feels rustic, mostly in a good way.

• Stayed September 2013
THOMAS L, Propriétaire at Hotel Morand, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear BR1999,
Thanks for your review , it's good to read:

"It is quaint, well-located, affordable and the staff were very friendly. I can see why others like it but it was not for me "

I think that everything is said in your short first sentence...
I have to contest your remarks because most of them are false ( matters , pillows , ....)
1-Matters is firm ,yes , because i have bought it last year and 95% of my customers likes it ....better for your back , isn't it ? . It's absolutely not a futton but a good matter !
2-Pillows were in the cupboard...like courtesy set / wifi and all our services not quoted ...
3-Our building is a 17th century coaching Inn !when you have booked here , everything was precised ... i will not reply to other wrong statments .....travellers will understand that this hotel was indeed not for you....For 50 euros per night , seriously sir , what did you expect ?
Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Turkish first
Goring-on Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Rouen was wonderful and the location of the hotel very good. Value for money it was fine. Breakfast okay. Nothing matched the enthusiasm of the owner to be helpful ensuring we had the best visit possible. Yes we would return but not to room 10 - I just fitted in the loo (am 5ft/7stone) imagine the fun/struggle my poor husband had (6ft5ins/16stone)!!

Praise MUST be given to the lady what did! Because she did everything - serving breakfast, cleaning all the rooms, laundering etc, an absolute treasure.

All in all a very successful stay. Helpful note underground parking behind hotel and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Avoid room 10 if you are large!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
THOMAS L, Propriétaire at Hotel Morand, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear jill j,
Thanks so much for your kind review. I will forward to my staff and we will pursue our efforts to improve again and again our satisfaction level.
I want to inform travelers that we are going to renovate this winter room 10's Bathroom to solve the issue quoted. That's true , the space between the shower and the toilet isn't wide ...
To help us , Book on our official web site to redeem the cheapest offers from the web !
For instance , on our official web site you can save 25% on room rate opposite to travel agencies !
best regards
T LOUIS
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Small, family run hotel I used twice during a recent tour of France. Only two star so wasn't expecting much, rooms were small but had everything (a bed and a shower) that I needed. Staff were friendly and helpful. No lift, so no good if you can't do stairs, and Rouen is full of one-way streets so a good map or satnav is a must to get to the hotel. Small (€3) discount if booked through their website rather than a booking one.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank GeoffSoltau
THOMAS L, Propriétaire at Hotel Morand, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear GeoffSoltau,

I see precisely who you are . It was a pleasure to welcome you and i would like to thank you for that kind review.
Thanks also for advising other travellers to book on our official web sites to redeem best offers than on line travel agencies ! We offer indeed 5% on each room rates and at each dates on our official website (linked here).
Travellers have also to know that on our official web site , we add recently spectacular unrefoundable offers up to 25% on room rate !
Concerning our developpement we plan to continue our efforts ( a renovation program will continue during this winter , like last year , see on our official website the article ...) to get the Trip advisor Certificate of excellence again !
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Arriving 'late' at 8.20 in the evening to find reception unmanned and front door locked. Whilst driving I had received a message on my phone giving me the entry code to the door. My room was open, very small, dingy and dirty. I would have appreciated a welcome and advice on parking. Running a hotel means being in attendance at the times that customers want to arrive - 8 o'clock is not late.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Spudmoran
THOMAS L, Propriétaire at Hotel Morand, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear SpudMoran,
Like you i will be DIRECT.I am sorry but i find no points on this review to thank you.
I found who you are . You stayed in my property the 24th of JULY 2013.
You have booked on a travel agency a a LOW COST single room with toilets ont the landing.
On the website you booked . A sentence IN RED precise to you that you have to call the hotel in advance if you arrive after 8PM. Fortunately for you , i took the time to secure your arrival and you told it , that is true , i did call you and leave to you a voicemail with all instructions.
I had also send you an email with all instructions.I have also put inside your room keys / wifi / citymap in english and a card for a good restaurant with a discount.Parking instructions are on line in every Hotel Morand web medias and in our rooms.Car park instructions were also in your booking confirmation.You should read more ...
You forgot to mention it on your review.
That's why the owner's response exist. To reveal to other travellers the truth.

Moreover , in the leather booklet present in your room , there was 4 full pages of informations.
When you book a room you have to respect internal regulations of the property booked.
Nobody force you to book in our property.Your choice is yours , you have to assume it instead of posting wrong statements Like Dingy or dirty which is not correct.
Contact me directly to explain us where the dirtiness was in your low cost room.
When i saw you in the morning you did not talk about that , why?
Those statements strongly interest my governant who clean these rooms since 1987 in this old post relay.
Dingy : for you information , i have renovated completely this single room on march 2013.
( New shower / New window , New floors , New paintings ...)
Yes the walls color are white. I apologize that the white color offend you.
The room is little , yes , of course.
For 38€ per night , what did you expect ?
Concerning the reception closure time at 8PM , you should book a 3 /4/5 Stars Hotel and you will find someone at the desk 24h/24.
But not for the same room rate .
At least , you received from trip advisor a certificate of excellence this year , you should read other reviews concerning our property. Perhaps you will acknowledge that your review is quite harsh.
Best regards
Breukelen, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We are very fond of this hotel. Convenient location, next to the Museum of Modern Art, and a pleasant walk away from cosy restaurants. Nice old fashioned rooms, and a very pleasant and helpfull staff! We rather keep this address a secret.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

THOMAS L, Propriétaire at Hotel Morand, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Marijk2013,

It's always a pleasure to see you , thanks so much for your review!
Take Care
Minsk, Belarus
Reviewed August 9, 2013

An absolute great hotel in the heart of Rouan. Convenient location, in the middle of town, near by the train station.Very pleasant and helpful staff, everything very clean, the food was tasty and rich offer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

THOMAS L, Propriétaire at Hotel Morand, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Nathalie l,
Thanks so much for this fantastic Audit !This clear and short description will help travellers to make the good choice in Rouen!
Always visit our official web site , you can redeem the best offers on line !
It will be a pleasure to welcome you again Here .
Yours Sincerely
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My stay at Morand Hotel was quite comfortable for the price we paid. The whole building was a bit aged but both my husband and myself loved the lounge area where they have decorated well and cozy. The location was not too bad as it is not too far away from the train station although the entrance is kind of hidden in the alley and coming back to the hotel for the night, the area is very dark. The owner's family has also owned a restaurant. We had been to that restaurant and we were given a discount. The food was nice and the restaurant environment was good. Overall experience was nice, again for the price we paid, which was a pretty good deal.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Harriet S,
Thanks so much for this fantastic Audit !This clear and complete review will help travellers to make the good choice in Rouen!Especially for those who are looking for warmth and authenticity!
Always visit our official web site , you can redeem the best offers on line !
It will be a pleasure to welcome you again Here .
Yours Sincerely