“Worst hotel in Rouen” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 51 Hotels in Rouen
London, United Kingdom
“Worst hotel in Rouen”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

This place was the pits, managed to damage my car door trying to park in their supposedly safe car park which had a ruddy big ramp you had to drive up with 2 Electricity lorries parked at the bottom giving you no room to manoeuvre, thence my dent. You got in the lift which was 4ins below floor level, opened window in room and the traffic noises outside were horrendous, not much better when you shut the window. Hotel was over priced for where it was situated.Will never ever stay there again!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeffmey
Sonia P, Gérant at Kyriad Rouen Centre, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Mr,

Thank you for your comment which is helping me to improve the quality of my hotel.
Please accept all my apologies for the matter you had in our car parK. It s a tempory acces due to civil engineering and earth-moving but we are in discussion with a company to find a solution for a real acces to reach the car park which will also be renovated.

Please accept once again, all my apologies and hope to receive you again.

Best regards

S. POIRIER

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Hungarian first
Loughborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is a standard Kyriad hotel so you know hat you are getting. From the outside it looks unattractive and a busy round-the-clock road runs past. Overnight parking is best at an adjacent Council lot which is free after 6.00 pm. Staff are helpful and friendly, rooms and facilities up to standard. Needing three rooms for the family, staff had obligingly reserved them in close proximity. Breakfast is taken refectory style from a buffet, children eating free by company policy. The bustling city centre is less than 10 minutes walk away and offers the best options for dinner. Convenience is the key here as this will not be a memorable stop.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mike B
Skipton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I arrived at this hotel at 12. 30 at night having nowhere to stay. I had just had a bad personal tragedy and been let down by another hotel closeby. I was given a room by the night manager Lulzim who was so kind, trying to calm me down and being very professional . All the staff at this hotel were just wonderful. The restaurant was good value for money and great food.
I cannot emphasize enough how wonderful and helpful Lulzim was that night and also, the next morning the girl on reception . I think Laura was her name. Pretty with dark hair. My husband joined me the following evening and again Luzim helped us through. I hope they get to see this message because they are worth their weight in gold. They both spoke English very well. I would stay there again if ever I was in Rouen. Mary Maxfield

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mary M
Doncaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed at this place for an overnight stop. Car park was grotty and like a building site.
Not a good first impression.
The Room we had was shabby and smelled a little but for one night I thought it will be OK. I had a look in my bed which seemed clean enough .Tired after 400 miles of motorcycling we had a quick shower and headed for the old town and had a pleasant evening.
The problem started the next morning.We were in the process of packing when my son noticed an object in the bed.
Wasn't too sure but looked like a beetle or tick.
Then i noticed one in my bed. Then the third bed was pulled back and was literally alive with them.
Our friend Ed was covered in bites. In all we counted 380 separate marks which came out even more during the day as huge lumps.
This place needs fumigating. Or even better torching.
The girl on the desk said her English was not too good but she didn't seem surprised when I got through to her that they had an infestation.
Avoid this place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Karlos64
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

If I was to comment on the ground floor for this hotel this review would be a 4 out of 5!

The ground floor is very nice and welcoming and the staff were very friendly and also recommened that we see the the Rouen cathedral all lit up on the night time which we did and I have to say was a great experience!

Now on to the floors above the ground level. The appearance of the rest of the hotel is very basic and is not looked after very well!

The carpets have stains in them which lead you to your room and the room itself, for a non-smoking hotel smells that bad its enough to make you an addict!

I was only there for one night and it made me start calling everyone man and thinking of growing my hair in dreadlocks!

The only thing I can say that I was impressed with was the meal we had at the hotel which again was on the ground floor. It was a three course meal and was basic but I have to say I enjoyed.

Other than that it's not a place I would recommend. I've tried it once and don't think I will again!!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Joeboy2305
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed here as a cheap option after driving for seven hours. Went purely on cost for a triple room.

Hotel is handily placed to walk into the old centre of Rouen. That's one of the few plus points.

The car park adjacent to the hotel is run by the city council and is dog rough and covered in graffiti. You assume on arrival it belongs to the hotel but theirs is past the hotel around the back. I parked on the council one as i was advised by the extremely helpful english-speaking receptionist it wasn't worth the hassle of moving. She also told me about a "fantastic" light projector show onto the face of the cathedral at 10.30 every night (we went and it was fantastic).

Went up to our first-floor room via a staircase. The carpets on the stairs and landing were disgusting. Stained to death and beyond redemption. Upon opening the door to our "non-smoking" room we nearly threw up with the disgusting smell of mustiness and cigarette odour. I quickly threw open the window to be greeted with a view of air conditioning units on an adjacent flat roof absolutely covered with hundreds of cigarette butts! Revolting.

The room was basic with riffy carpet. The bathroom was no better. Opened the toilet lid to be greeted with the sight of a king-sized floater! The underneath of the toilet seat was covered in yellow urine stains accumulated over the years. Grotty stained tile grout over the bath and a quite awful bath panel completed the scene.

We should have walked but utter exhaustion and the palaver of finding an alternative so late prevented us from doing so.

To be fair the reception area and dining room seemed to be acceptable and people were in there eating so we joined them for a decent three-course set menu with a fair choice of options.

Thank goodness we were able to walk into centre rouen to get away from the kyriad, albeit through what appeared to be the red light district adjacent to the grotty car park.

Couldn't sleep at all well. The room ponged and we were terrified as to what our mattresses were like under the sheets. We daren't look.

No hot water at any stage. Couldn't shower just a very quick splash of cold water for us all.

Breakfast buffet was very basic and bland but it was included in the room rate.

All-in-all a horrible experience for 62 euros for the room. We usually stop at the campanile in rouen nord which is more expensive but different class in comparison.

I could never contemplate going back.

• Stayed August 2013
7 Thank GrahamJ451
Aliso Viejo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Arriving at the hotel it seemed that the hotel would be as drab as the outside but once inside, the lobby was very inviting. We got a triple room and it was a nice size for three people. The front office staff were extremely nice and very helpful. It seems that they are remodeling rooms as I saw a few on my floor that they were working on. Plus the rooms are air conditioned which is great especially on hot days. It is an easy walk to the center of town where all the tourist sites are.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family