“Great Chain, disappointing hotel”

Best Western Hotel Litteraire Gustave Flaubert
Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Rouen
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We love the Best Western Hotel chain and generally find them to be of good value. However, we were very disappointed in this particular property. Room had all the basics-king bed, desk, chair, TV, but had a spartan, industrial look--no charm at all. Plus the bathroom was not very clean. Room had no air conditioning and was very hot that night, so we opened the window and drapes for air. However, there was a spotlight shining from the ground up to the roof over our window which lit up our room like daytime, until the spotlight finally went off around midnight. Worse, our room was a corner, and with the drapes open, we could see into our neighbor's room, and vice versa! They must have been hot too and also had the drapes open. Not a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: If you are considering staying here, check to see if they have air conditioned rooms first.
1  Thank Pat G

Reviewed October 4, 2012

The Best Western is located right in the heart of central old Rouen (perfect for tourists). The hotel is located just off the market square, and is largely surrounded by calm pedestrian streets, so the hotel is very quiet. There is a small amount of car parking. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk down hill from the Rive Droite station.

The reception staff were genuinely friendly and helpful. Directions and assistance were offered willingly and with charm.

The hotel is modern, clean and in general is reasonably decorated and well maintained. Despite being in the centre of the old town, the views from the window were nothing to get excited about, but this didn't spoil the hotel.

The room was slightly on the small side, but fine for a one night stop over. The room lacked a wall safe, but did have coffee making facilities and a bedside alarm clock (with iPhone docking station). My only criticism of the room was that it was very dimly lit, especially the bathroom.

There is a small bar area, a courtyard terrace (good for smokers), and a breakfast room. We didn't try breakfast as it was 14 euros (and there are plenty of nearby cafes).

On the whole I would suggest that this a good hotel for tourists due to its location (close to historic sites and restaurants), but given the smallish rooms, probably only best for a couple of nights.

1  Thank callumx
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Couldn't wish for a hotel in a better situation in the old Market Square. There is everything nearby; cafes, bars,shops, tourist attractions. We were in a room on the 4th floor (lift a bit slow but no problem) which was overlooking the quiet courtyard at the back. The room was sunny in the mornings tidy with comfy beds and a good size bathroom. There are tea/coffee making facilities in the room but stingy.They were replenished each day. However we took our own coffee sachets and tea bags and dried milk. Good choices for breakfast, even a hot plate upon which to fry eggs!! Staff friendly and helpful. My only criticism is the darkness of the room. The lights are so dim (bathroom was ok) and the walls painted a very dull, dark grey/green it was like being in a cave. Apparently the other rooms are painted in the same colour. There was more light in the lift. If I could have done so I'd have put my make up on in there!!!

Room Tip: The higher rooms are lighter and quieter..but the one lift is rather slow.We had room 406.
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Charming hotel , unbeatable location close to main sights in town, good selection of restaurants, shops etc nearby. My room was average size , well decorated, with a very comfortable bed , facing a very quiet courtyard so I enjoyed a very good night sleep. Internet connection was fast a easy to log in, bathroom was large and functional. Friendly and efficient personal, the only thing I missed was a more intense lighting also my room didn't have air conditioner although it wasn't an issue

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank MartaRoy
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This hotel is perfectly placed for enjoying the old town of Rouen (Cathedral, restaurants and bars are all on the doorstep). We had a small but adequate double room on the fourth floor overlooking the car park. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was equiped with all that you might require for a short stay.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful!
Accessing the hotel by car is interesting! As previous reviewers have mentioned, you enter the old town via a narrow road with an "access bollard" that gets dropped after speaking to the local policeman. Once through, you negotiate your way around a few sets of tables and chairs past cafes/restaurants and pedestrians in order to get to the hotel's car park! Could be daunting if you weren't expecting it and being lunchtime on a sunny day probably didn't help!
Breakfast is served in a nice light and airy room and the selection is everything you'd expect; plus you can even fry your own eggs!
If you're a "foody" then this is a great place to base yourself as there's an abundance of restaurants near by.
We would have no hesitation in coming back to stay in this hotel for a short break.

Room Tip: higher floors probably give you more light and a sense of "space" and old town Rouen is al...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank colin_reeves
Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

I booked the 'comfortable' double room for 4 nights. I spent a lot of our holiday budget on this hotel as the hotel we stayed in in Paris the previous night was very basic and I thought I'd treat myself and my boyfriend to some luxury. But i was wrong.
The room was small, which wasn't too bad but I had paid extra for the comfortable room which was stated as bigger than a standard double but our room was the smallest on our floor. There is no AC and they had run out of fans so our nights sleep was not great as we had to leave the window open to cool down but then we would be woken at 5/6 by the noise from outside. Someone, we don't know who, would start banging doors from 7 in the morning and our room would shake!! And the cleaners made lots of noise in the corridors even when we had do not disturb signs. I was longing to go back to the basic hotel in Paris...
Staff were nice and the hotel is lovely, but we paid a lot of money to be woken and banged up out of bed every morning after spending long days out. It really disrupted my holiday I was so tired and cranky..not very romantic!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

We booked a double room at this hotel. But my god what a small room. I have never in my life stayed in such a small room. When we opened the window, we had to look at the television THROUGH the window (see picture). The room was clean, But had a cheap and poor interior. The service was nothing special, they checked us in and out, and that's it. Would not stay here again, and would not recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2012