Hotel le Cardinal
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Rouen
See available hotels
Very Good 4/5
  • Room Service
Average 3/5
Average 3/5
Very Good 4/5
Good 3.5/5
All reviewscathedral squarefloor roomrick steves recommendationsound and light showgreat cathedralhotel offerswalking distance to everythingtop floorsmall elevatorbalcony overlookingtwo nightshotel facesperfect locationsmall hotelwould recommend this hotel to anyonerecommend staying herewi fi
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We couldn't get enough of the view! We also loved hearing the bells every hour! (they do stop at 10:00 pm) Hotel was very clean and our room, I think it was room 10, was roomy. The bathrooms have been updated and were very nice. It was a bit frustrating when we arrived at 1:30 pm and the hotel was locked with a note that they would return at 1:00. We decided to eat next door while we waited and had to figure out what to do with our luggage. Other than that, we had a great stay! We would definantly stay again, and again, and again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Parking is located close by, approx 10 euros for overnight in an underground carpark. We were able to locate the hotel easily as it is situated just in front of the Cathedral in the main square. The sign as you go in states 2 stars so I wasn't expecting very much. The rate was 160 euros a night excluding breakfast, more than I would normally pay for one night, however we were last minute in finding accommodation for the night. We were placed on the 4th floor. As you enter the room it does have a 'wow' factor, it's clean, wooden floors, TV, shower, two balconies with exceptional views over the square/cathedral. It has the look and feel of an apartment. There are table/chairs and deck chairs on the balcony which is great if you want to bring along your own food/drink. (Just remember a bottle opener as all French wines are still corks). The only let down was breakfast in the morning based on the first floor. The spread laid on is very basic and then a grey cat walked out across the breakfast area. This really put me off my breakfast and I find it unacceptable to have an animal in the eating area unsupervised. Breakfast is also 9 euros a head. At Midnight there was a Cathedral light/music show which was very cool to watch and see whilst sitting in bed. If you don't like loud noises, the cathedral bells ring often and the music played for at least 2 hours, then this place is not for you. The windows did block most of the sound though.

Room Tip: Stay on the 4th Floor, worth the extra money
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is a lovely, wonderful, newly renovated hotel that is spotlessly clean and has beautiful bedlinens. The bed was also new and very comfortable. Unfortunately, it is in Rouen, a city that is worth skipping if you are sightseeing in France. And don't try to go on a Friday afternoon in rush hour. If you can locate the street, (even with GPS) you can drive up to the front and drop off your luggage. My advice is that you park at the Hotel de Ville municipal parking garage and walk about 10-15 minutes down towards the hotel. Herve, the owner, is very low key and friendly. The petit dejeuner was also lovely in a small room on the first floor.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The Hotel le Cardinal is a little gem. I was on the 4th floor, with a view of the cathedral that made me laugh out loud, it was so beautiful. M. and Mme. Waroquet, the innkeepers, were gracious and helpful. The funny little elevator was much appreciated (funny in that it is tiny, and one enters by one door and exits by another). The hotel is not fancy, but it was scrupulously clean and fresh and a very good value for the money. The cafe downstairs, apparently a favorite of Simone de Beauvoir, was also excellent. I wasn't sure how far the hotel was going to be from the train station, so I took a cab, which was totally unnecessary. I walked back the next day.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank utahtexan
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was a lovely place to stay in Rouen. It's seems very safe and our room was clean and adequate for the price. The best thing about the hotel is the location. Our room overlooked the Cathedral Square (a spectacular view of the church painted by Monet), and was walking distance to shopping and dining. I had a little trouble finding a place to park. We parked in a deck a couple of blocks away and lugged our luggage to the hotel, but this was as much my fault as anything. The streets are very old, small, and usually one way. It was a little hard to navigate...even with a GPS! That said, Rouen is certainly worth the stop and this hotel is a great option.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple