“Quaint hotel, lovely location”

Hotel de Bourgtheroulde, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 51 Hotels in Rouen
London, United Kingdom
“Quaint hotel, lovely location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel in a lovely part of town, let down slightly by the poor maintenance on a number of areas such as flower pots left dry with parched flowers desperately seeking TLC. Other ares in need of TLC include deep clean to the ornaments and decorations above head level. Also there were a number of bulbs missing and switches in the room that did not do anything.

The valet parking was one of the best aspects of the hotel as it offered convenience, but was a bit daunting as when you first arrive a random bloke appears from nowhere and asks you for your keys, it's not clear that he is a valet parking attendant and there is no visible identification presented and you are not issued with a ticket or anything that indicates you have given your car to a legitimate employee. I raise this as the valet parking point is offset to the reception area and not directly in front of the hotel, we walked away feeling we may have just given the key to a complete stranger. However that was not the case and we were glad to learn that he was indeed the valet.

The bed room, was a modern one, and was really nice and fresh, the entrance to the hotel is laden with red carpets, also a nice touch. The food and the restaurant are well laid out and the choice for breakfast is well laid out. The spa is basic and clean although it's more of a fitness centre and the one towel per visit room is very 1980s and unhygienic.

The building is quite historic and beautiful but somehow the hotel manages to not highlight or draw patrons to the history of the place. There seems to be a lack of spirit or soul missing which is a shame as it's really a beautiful hotel with so much more to offer. Ps the best part of it all is that the staff are truly happy, helpful and an asset.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Gosford, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

We had not planned on Rouen as a destination and it was late in the afternoon, we had been driving looking for a suitable hotel, when we saw Hotel de Bourgtheroulde. We were lucky and managed two excellent rooms and ended up loving both the town and in particular this hotel. It is simply gorgeous. Art, modern, everywhere, beautiful surroundings, superb rooms, fantastic staff, so helpful and you go out the door (if you must) and enter the best Rouen has to offer. This stay was memorable for all the right reasons.

Room Tip: Hard to say, but if you can get a room I would suggest there isn't a bad one.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Susan T
Yeovil, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

This is our second year of visiting Rouen and staying at this hotel.

I love the modern art they have on exhibition here - not always too my taste but always surprising and worthy of conversation.

The staff are charming and really helpful. The first year we had a very comfortable room downstairs just off from the lobby which was good but this year we went for the 4th floor room just next to the lift. Ordinarily we would never take a room next to a lift but this room has a corridor that leads the bedroom away from all the noise.

Comfortable bed, lovely Egyptian cotton sheets, big bathroom and seperate loo. A good nights sleep.

Breakfast is served in a rather ugly red and black dining room, but the food was great. A good choice. I had scrambled eggs which were bought steaming from the kitchen and were soft and absolutely perfect.

Love this hotel - not easy to get service always can be a bit slow but they make up for it in just being helpful and friendly.

When you arrive park your car in the allotted bays as they have a valet service that will then park your car for you, and deliver it back when you are ready to leave.

You have to pay something like 25 euro for this but it would be the same if you left it on the square for 24hours and parking is very limited there.

Room Tip: Fourth floor room I think 401 next to the lift. You can hear the a/c, but not as noisy as some plac...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
West Byfleet, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night on a trip around France. We had a lovely, spacious room that was quiet and comfortable. We had a delicious meal in the bistro and fabulous breakfast the following morning. We had booked this as a package which made it very good value. The combination of the modern decor in an old building really appealed to us. Having read previous reviews about staff, we were a little worried. However, we found the reception, restaurant and valet parking staff to be exceptionally polite and helpful. We had an issue with the service and professionalism of the bar staff but this was reported to the restaurant manager who dealt with the issue very well. If you are driving, you need to take up the option of the on-site parking. You also need to set your sat nav to the street behind the hotel otherwise it makes driving to the hotel an interesting challenge! We would stay here again so that we can explore more of this interesting city.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Spurplepink
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Great Hotel. Great pool and Steam room. I was disappointed that although the pool is open from 8am to 10pm the steam room is only open from 9am until 8pm. I found that out as the lights just went out at 8pm without a member of staff coming in to tell me. I was also disappointed with the breakfast as the last time we went there was a much bigger selection and the kids were looking forward to the pancakes that they had the last time, prepared in front of them. I was told that the chefs take the month of August off for their holiday. I would not expect that of a five star hotel

Stayed August 2014
L'Hôtel D, Front Office Manager at Hotel de Bourgtheroulde, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

following to your comments regarding the hotel, I would like to inform you that the steam room opens when the spa opens for security reasons. The swimming pool and fitness center open from 7am to 10 pm but the steam room only open from 9am to 8pm. My colleague at the front desk should have give you this information on arrival. Please accept our apologies in case they would not gave you thaht information.

My colleague at the spa are used to inform the guests who are in the spa that they will close and that they will turn the light douwn. I am sorry that nobody did it this day you where here.

Regarding the breakfast, we still serve pancakes, but, it's true, you have to ask the waiter because we do not prepare it in the breakfast room anymore. I will transmit your comments to the food and beverage manager.

Please accept our apologies for those problems you suffered.

I do remain at disposal,

Front Office Manager Assistant
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2014

We stayed two nights in Rouen to allow a day trip to Giveney to see Monet's garden.
I picked the Hotel de Bourgtheroulde based on its interesting exterior - not my usual selection criterion!
But it was great. Fantastic room up in the pitch of the roof, with a bathroom in the turret you can see in the pictures you can see of the exterior. Excellent room service on the first night, and a good meal in the restaurant on the second night.
Breakfast was the standard 5 star offering, but in pleasant surroundings and to a high standard.
The pool was a stand-out, as a lap swimmer I used it three times in two days and amused the other guests who seemed happy just to float about.
All in all, I would have liked to have stayed for a few more nights to explore Rouen and enjoy this very good hotel.

Room Tip: Pick the room with the turret bathroom - it was wonderful.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2014

We visited Rouen as a surprise treat for my wife whilst we were camping in Normandy and couldn't have picked a better place to stay overnight. A Great location in the heart of the city. A very beautiful historic exterior and modern interior. Welcoming, polite and helpful staff who spoke good English and understood my basic French. We had a Privelege room with a giant King size bed which was wonderfully comfortable. The room was clean, quiet, well-appointed and the air con made little to no noise. The room was at the perfect temperature after a hot afternoon waking around the city. I particularly liked the large window overlooking the Hotel courtyard and the furniture.

My son somehow managed to soak the bathroom floor when he had a shower, and whilst we were out to dinner in the evening the towels were changed and the floor cleaned......without us asking or having even notified the staff. Indeed, all the service we experienced from the barman and reception staff to the breakfast attendant was consistently of a high standard, remaining both friendly, attentive and efficient at all times.

There was a very good choice on offer at breakfast. All in all I had no complaints - quite the contrary. Unlike some reviewers here I thought the Hotel de Bourgtheroulde merited all its stars and I would not hesitate to recommend it. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

My tip: The Parking la Pucelle is just across the small square from the hotel entrance. It was very cheap compared to English car parks at 19 euros for roughly 36 hours, which equated to £15. You couldn't get much nearer to the hotel and it was pretty easy to get to via the N138 Pont Guillaume le Conquerant and then the Rue Saint-Jacques.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family