“Good food but worryingly empty.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of L'olivier

L'olivier
Ranked #431 of 649 Restaurants in Rouen
Cuisines: Moroccan, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Hove, United Kingdom
“Good food but worryingly empty.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I enjoyed a terrific L'Olivier couscous, in a very accessible, friendly and well-appointed restaurant. What concerned me was that I was the only customer (on a Tuesday) and the restaurant was empty also when I passed the following evening. Food this good deserves more takers. The pichet of wine was very good value and quality and the couscous delicious. The only thing I found off-putting was the sheer size of the portions. I am a heaarty eater, but made my way through perhaps half of the meal. I would urge readers of thus site to try this restaurant: you will not be disappointed.

• Visited October 2013

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Chosen because of Trip Advisor reviews”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Several days in Rouen and my husband had chosen this restaurant in advance because of its good reviews. The restaurant was, indeed, very good. You are presented with at least twice as much food as you will be able to eat. Presentation is excellent, but so much food can be over-facing. While I thoroughly enjoyed our meal, personally I would have preferred a little less! There must be so much waste as I defy anyone to eat it all! A good meal - recommended.

• Visited September 2013
Brooklyn, New York
“Great food, nice atmosphere, good price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was about to walk past this place when I decided to stop in for lunch. This is a small, atmospheric restaurant that serves Berber food. I ordered the Mutton Couscous, and it was out of this world! I make my own couscous, but let me tell you, I was impressed. The vegetable base had chunks of carrot, zucchini, and celery, and the most intriguing aroma that you can imagine. The couscous was as light as air, and the dish was served with condiments on the side.

The mutton was served on the side, and overall, the serving was enormous--there was enough food for two. I hated to leave a morsel behind. The couscous was 10 euros, which seems like a bargain to me. If you go with a friend, order appetizers and share the main course. There are all different varieties of couscous, including vegetarian. The Middle-Eastern desserts looked fabulous, but I was too full to eat one more bite.

I'll definitely go there again on my next trip to Rouen.

• Visited June 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“If you leave here hungry it's not their fault”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

2 years ago we ate here and have remembered what a wonderful meal we had so this trip we brought our friends along and promised them a feed to remember.

L'olivier serves up north African dishes and it is all good nourishing meats and vegetables.

We ordered tagines and cuscus and it was all delicious and we couldn't finish it all but we finished it off with several glasses of their mint tea which is quite sweet but a great way to finish the meal.

A real surprise was the red wine from Algeria (or Algiers?) and was just perfect

So all in all a lovely meal for €70 for four including drinks.

London UK
“Delicious feast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

We had tagine, and the food was memorably excellent.

• Visited April 2012