“Avoid at all Costs!”

Ranked #25 of 33 Hotels in Le Havre
London, United Kingdom
“Avoid at all Costs!”
Reviewed November 24, 2007

I booked last minute, and this was the only hotel with available rooms in the area for that night - I soon discovered why! The room looked alright when I arrived, though I could hear the street noise, I expected it would calm down by the time I wanted to sleep. Very basic, small room - certainly not three star quality. But the real horror started at 1am - I was woken up by people talking in the next room. They weren't talking loudly, but the walls were so paper thin, I felt as if they were in the same room as me! I did ask them to lower their voices, and they politely agreed to, but I could still hear them talking quietly! It wasn't their fault! The chatter stopped an hour later, by which time I was too tired to be annoyed, and fell asleep. You can imagine my utter frustration when I was woken up AGAIN by the clanking of cups and saucers - at 7am (my room was near the restaurant). When I complained at the reception, I was told that was normal hotel noise, and you can't guarantee quiet, because you can't guarantee who your neighbours will be. This was said in a very condescending manner. When I asked to speak to the manager I was told they were not there. When I asked for a contact number or email for them, they refused to give it to me, repeating that I had nothing to complain about. As though it were MY fault that I didn't sleep well. An apology would have done. No apologies were ever made. I was working the next day, and felt terrible for the lack of sleep. I phoned this hotel twice following my stay, and asked to speak to the manager. Both times, my requests were refused. This hotel boasts soundproof rooms. That couldn't be further from the truth. If you get a room with no-one staying up late next door, then maybe your stay will be ok. But if you have any problems at all in this hotel, know that the staff will do absolutely nothing to help you, and there will be no follow up! Not worth the risk! The area is good though. But there are many hotels in the area. The Ibis down the road is much friendlier, cheaper, and I'm sure they deliver their promises (I didn't stay there but the staff were very helpful when I asked them for help finding a hotel in the area, as they were fully booked). The hotel opposite seemed lovely too, at half the price of this one. If the management of this hotel had been in contact, or the staff a little nicer, I wouldn't have felt so sore. But I still wouldn't stay here again. To sum up: Noisy 1 star hotel, with zero customer care!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Very very noisy, bad customer care, very basic rooms not worth the price
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank QueenRabbit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed August 30, 2006

I had read great reviews about this hotel on other sites so went ahead and booked it for one night. The hotel is in a good location. You can walk to the beaches and there are lots of shops nearby. However, the hotel is maybe a one star hotel, definitely not a three. The elevator can fit one person comfortably. Two people with luggage is almost impossible. The room was a good size for Europe but was very old and not in great shape. The carpeting was old and stained. Walls needed painting. Bathroom wasn't great . It took me about 10 minutes to get some hot water going in the shower. The room was clean but was absolutely nothing special. Also, there is no air conditioning but it's not a good idea to sleep with the window open unless you have earplugs. The breakfast was not worth the money. Very little selection and my husband almost got sick when he bit into a boiled egg. He said it tasted rotten. Final word is that this hotel is adequate if you are looking for just somewhere to lay your head and won't be staying long. However, there are much better options for similar prices if you look a little harder. Stay in the smaller towns further along down the Normandy coast. There are some beautiful places there.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Age of the room with no evident refurbishment.
  • Tips/Secrets — Better hotels in the smaller towns.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank Erin R

Travelers are raving about these Le Havre hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 7, 2005

We stayed here for one night with our children. We did not have a booking, after walking out of another hotel in Le Havre that evening (where they could not locate our booking).

The service was excellent, friendly, helpful. Hotel was clean. Rooms were a good size for France, even with the roll outs for our kids.

Price was very good.

Breakfast was included and was also very good.

• Stayed October 2005