“Luxury - at a price!”

Mercure Le Havre Centre Bassin du Commerce
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Le Havre
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We wouldn't normally stay in such an expensive hotel, but my husband found a special offer, and booked us in. It was wonderful - huge rooms, and our friend, who travelled with us, had a bed big enough for a young army! The bathroom was bigger than our bathroom at home!

We didn't take the breakfasts, as they were very expensive, and although a cheaper option was available, we were all recovering from flu and not really wanting coffee, so we didn't take it. We did eat in the hotel restaurant one night, though, and found it good value for money, and good vegetarian choices for our friend.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mrs-Redboots

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have stayed at the Mercure Le Havre on a few occasions and all I can say is it gets better every time I visit. Being located close to the city centre there is an abundance of great restaraunts within walking distance if you feel the need to leave the tastefull in house restaraunt.
The rooms are spacious and modern, the staff are super friendly and helpfull.
If you are coming to Le Havre then I'm sure you will find this ticks all the boxes...5 star !!

Room Tip: Prefably on the front of the hotel wih a great view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Always for me service is everything! it can make or break a stay, and this hotel is no exception. Staff with attitude are just annoying at best and upsetting at worst. This includes a passive aggressive attitude. One of my pet hates is picking up the phone without apologising while you are talking to me at reception, very frustrating.
The hotel itself is in need of painting and renovating to dispel the shabby air which is present, and would not be so annoying if the service were stunningly great. Compared for example to the Mercure in Hannover where the service is impeccable.
Rooms are clean and have all the basics, however the attitude of distrust, locked mini-bars, refusal to allow charges to room even though credit card has been left and so on just make for unpleasant stay. There are nicer hotels in the area and next time I'll be staying in one of them.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Pheephox
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I had never been to Le Havre before and stayed here for a week whilst on business in nearby town. Very easy to find by car although went round the block twice looking for the car park, eventually had to park and walk into reception to find out how to get in the car park, it is actually unsigned and is just past the reception, small driveway on left. Hotel is fairly standard, I had a room on 6th floor slightly to the north side of hotel but had good view over the basin.
Room ok, fairly big, large bed, plenty of pillows, bathroom with great shower, tea, coffee and kettle provided, big flatscreen TV and table to work on, what more do you need. All in all I'd say room is same sort of standard as Novotel. I normally book Novotel when on business in Europe but it was full and very expensive therefore I was pleasantly surprised to find the Mercure was of a decent standard. Breakfast was actually very good and better than I would expect in a Novotel, buffet of course but very extensive.
I can't comment on location if walking as I only used the car but did find a really nice Italian restaurant only a few hundred metres away. Reception staff very friendly, helpful and most spoke very good English.

Room Tip: I had room on 6th floor facing north, ir was fine, reasonable view towards ferry terminal and over t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Andy P
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I was there for a weekend break with my partner and kids.

The hotel is rather well located: 10min walk from the train station and at one side of the historical Perret District.

The staff was helpfull and the overall experience was acceptable.
My suite (a family room with double bed and sofa) was rather large and comfortable. The sofa bed was definitively bad (acceptable for my kid, but could not imagine myself sleeping in that "bed").

What's wrong with this hotel?...
It is definitively outdated. I guess that Accor choose not to renovate if because they might consider that competition is not that sharp in Le Havre; I cannot imagine a Mercure hotel with such an outdated atmosphere in Paris or London... (if they don't do anything, this hotel will finally become very trendy with the time;-).

Some rooms (not mine, unfortunatelly) seem to offer impressive views over the impressive "Bassin du Commerce".

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank manywhere
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed there last August 15th and 16th; we will certainly recommend the hotel, great location, very clean and the staff is very friendly. We booked in half board and enjoyed also a good restaurant service and good food.

Merci Beaucoup

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maubet D
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Hotel choice for business needs locally ....I let the French peopl down by not being able to speak French but no problem as the staff were english speaking and helpful. Brilliant selection for breakfast and plenty available with staff again very pleasant and helpful.

The room was a good size for my needs and in general comfortable but as the heading suggest my room was past its best. General room cleanliness was ok but put off by the the bath/shower area which was affected by grimy looking grout and mildew .... housekeeping could be greatly improved in this area. I had a bit of a struggle to get an iron and board but did eventually .... they were maybe more popular demand when I was there.

Excellent area for short walks to many eating places but most are closed on a Monday ..... I had a good view from my room up to the bridge.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business