“A gem of a find”

The Oak
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Visited this lovely pub/hotel/restaurant on a spa weekend in the lovely village of Rye. Can easily be missed during dark evening hours as the main front does not face the road. Based on the reviews here in we went with high expectations. And we were not disappointed. Entering the pub was like going back in time. The interior really has to be seen to understand the feeling. The fire was roaring in the hearth and initial sight was a little smokey but in a pleasant way. Landlord was pleasant with quick service at the Bar, there again it was not really busy. The food menu was limited but, as they state, it is all home cooked and fresh. Talking of food, wow, really nice. I had a Steak and Guinness pie with dauphinois potatoes and the wife had a steak and mushroom pudding again with dauphinois potatoes. Vegetable we're cauliflower cheese, broccoli spears and a sweed/carrot mix. Really tasty food, a little extra gravy would have been nice but that's me being fussy...lol. It was a really relaxing atmosphere in the restaurant, at no time did I feel rushed thus stayed to enjoy another pint. Would love to return in the summer season to sample the delights again and see if the atmosphere is any different. If I was to be a little critical then the toilets, men's, require a bit of love and attention to sort out a damp issue, but this did not ruin my meal and enjoyment in the restaurant. Would give it 4 and a half stars if I could. You will not be disappointed.

1  Thank rob p
There are newer reviews for The Oak

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Wednesday 4th September 2013.
I have to confess, it was not our intention to eat here. Nor was it the first place we tried. It was purely an accident. But what a fabulous accident! We came across the Royal Oak by chance and once we found it to be full of charm and an abundance of character we got a good feeling that the food would be too good to miss. We were right there! The fact that they allowed well behaved dogs inside the restaurant and offered a good selection of real ‘pub grub’ and ales, it was a no brainer.
I selected the Steak and Guinness pie, and Helen went for Chicken, with bacon and Brie, both served with vegetables. Both meals were fantastic, and I am sure that the remaining option on the menu would have been just as good.
On the basis of a good main, I had to dip my toe into a dessert, and went for the Apple and blackberry crumble. What’s not to like about a good home made crumble served with hot custard?
And the damage to the wallet? Minimal really, when you take into account the quality and above all the value. It is just a shame that this little gem in the Sussex countryside is just so far away from our home, but thinking of my waist line, maybe not!
I can only recommend that anyone passing the Royal Oak who is in need of a good meal and looking for one in a pleasant atmosphere, pull over and enjoy this place. Just as we did, purely by accident.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stopped here last night on our way home from a day out, I remembered seeing some positive reviews as we drove past and said to my husband "that's the pub that has good reviews" so he turned around. We are so pleased he did.
Saturday evening, we hadn't booked and with two children in tow even though a lot of tables were reserved, we were made very welcome.
The menu written on a chalk board, although small was varied and interesting. We opted to just have main courses - Chicken with bacon and brie served with beautifully cooked fresh vegetables and Dauphinouise Potatoes x 2, and Scallops with bacon, salad and chunky cut fresh bread x 2 (we don't have fussy kids that just want nuggets and chips fortunately!).
The chicken was succulent and the scallops perfectly cooked. We did indulge in 2 desserts shared between 4 and again we weren't disappointed - Lemon meringue pie to die for and apple and blackberry crumble just how it should be.
The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly. The quirkiness of the interior a real talking point, working out which Clint Eastwood films were represented by various objects, clothing and photos dotted around, did I say the landlord is Clints doppleganger, was great fun. The only thing missing was Clyde!!
Looking forward to visiting again soon.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

the royal Oak is one pub not tobe missed the food is good and wholesome and very reasonbly priced. Do not be put off by the outside just needs a little more light at times .When inside you will not be disapointed .a real old pub full of old world charm,The menu is up on a blackbroad it changes daily .there will always be something you fancy.Iam not going to recomend any one thing but if you can make room for a sweet Iwill just say the suet pudding was just like mum use to make GREAT.we where only in Peasmarsh for one week but we eat at the Royal Oak three or four times . I could not have cooked as well my self. You will be missing out if you do't give it a try.
If you are very lucky you might have Clint Eastwood as your host ..

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stopped at The Royal Oak on Bank holiday Monday for lunch. I am vegetarian and there was nothing on the menu so the landlord offered me an omelette (I went for a cheese one) with salad. My partner didnt fancy any of the dishes on the menu so opted to join me also with an omelette (he went for a mushroom one) also with salad. We decided to share a portion of chips. when the food arrived it was very nice although the salad was more of a garnish than an actual salad. However, when we went to pay the bill we had been charge £9 for each omelette and 'salad'! Now, I really think £9 is something of a rip off. Admittedly omelette was not on the menu but there was nothing else vegetarian and the main lunch dish of homemade steak and kidney pie with all vegetables was only £1 more. So, buyer beware, if its not on the menu you may well get ripped off.
Sadly we wont be returning even though this is a nice pub and is in walking distance (just) of our house.