“Great meal with excellent service”
Review of La Tortue

La Tortue
Ranked #10 of 167 Restaurants in Honfleur
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Charming, small restaurant that was packed but not crowded. Delicious local fish. Excellent selection of Normandy cheeses. Definitely want to go back.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We had an enjoyable meal at Tortue during September 2013, We hadn't booked but were allocated a pleasant table for 2 on the ground floor and were served by helpful staff. It was a busy evening but there were no delays and we didn't feel hurried at any stage.

The food was of a high standard with only 2 areas that prompted us to comment.

The entre item titled "Filo parcel of seasonal vegetables" appeared as a very large bowl of salad! Nice enough, but no sign of any filo pastry and the "seasonal vegetables" seemed to be mainly lettuce...

In addition, the cheese platter seemed a lttle austere for the price we were paying.

An introduction on the menue advised that the chef had travelled the world developing the menue and further advised that dishes might vary for various reasons from time to time - perhaps that explains our experience.

Overall, we had a pleasant evening in a pleasant environment.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

4 of us were traveling on a Uniworld River cruise with a day in Honfleur, what a beautiful city. We were hungry for a light lunch and this restaurant was recommended by a local retailer. In any case we sat down and after waiting 10-15 minutes asked to see a menu. The issue was there were no al a carte options on the menu everything was a 4-5 course lunch for ~30 euro. When I asked the hostess she saids that was all they offered but I could clearly see the locals behind us ordering from an al a carte menu. When I told her we were not interested is prix fixe meal she became irate and said since we had unfolded our napkins it would cost 4 euro for laundry and effectively through us out.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

When in Honfleur, we choose this restaurant because of the pretty decent reviews on TripAdvisor. How much of a dissappointment can it be???

We selected the extended menu of 28 euro, which consisted of a starter, an intermediate course, a main course, cheese and a dessert. We must have had bad luck, because we cannot understand at all that this restaurant get's such a good score. The presentation of the dishes was creative and nice, but the general evaluation is that that food had LIMITED to NO taste at all.

We started off with a fish soup, served with croutons, cheese and cream. Nice ingredients for a fantastic dish, but not so: the soup had no taste at all. The next course was an apple with cinamon with Calvados. We had difficulty to find the Calvados in the dish...

The make course was hake, and again the presentation was quite nice, but the taste of the dish was poor.

Then came a selection of 3 local cheeses, which were very good.

As dessert, I had a duo of Chocolate which was reasonable; my wife had an Ile Flotante which was huge, but again, lacked taste.

So this seems to be the story of our dinner... "lack of taste". Judging from the other TA reviews, we must have had bad luck and a chef that lost his tasting capabilities in that week. We paid 86 euro for 2 people.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband and I ate here and I can say I have never had such a wonderful meal in France. The starter was tasty and not too much, the main of which I had the fish was the most luscious fish dishes I have ever tasted. We ended the meal with a typical fruit type salad but with the extras of cream and ice-cream. Although La Tortue (the turtle) is not cheap it is well worth the money for the experience and the very attentive staff. Will go again when we return to Honfleur.