La Petite Folie
$214
  • Bar/Lounge
$642
TripAdvisor
All reviewstop floorbed and breakfastbreakfast was deliciousbeautiful housegreat hostsbeautiful honfleurpennyapartmentpriscillagardenfrancehostesstownparlorsalonantiques
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We had an amazing time at la petite folie. We just fell in love with the place. Everything was more than perfect. The rooms are gorgeous, the people there, are more then welcoming, very friendly and sweet. They just made our stay memorable.
Thank you Penny for that lovely place. And thank you christine for the yummy pancakes :)

Nanc. Et Steph.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed November 2, 2011

This is the kind of place where it's clear the owners love what they do, and care about their customers.

Penny (the owner) obviously works hard on communication so people leave happy with their stay. Upon booking (or I imagine, upon request), she sends you a very detailed email with loads of pointers and cancellation conditions etc etc. It's very clear and up front. It's quite long, but everything is in there, so if you have any particular needs, I'd advise you take the time to read it and get back to Penny straight away if it doesn't meet them! The owners seem very honest folk, and I can't imagine them encouraging guests to stay who have difficulty with their services. When you stay here, you know what you're getting, and La Petite Folie does exactly what it says on the tin!

We arrived at 6pm, totally drained from a particularly long journey, parked the car in front of the property (they have a garage to rent, it's extra, but worth it), and arrived to a very friendly welcome from (Vanessa, I think that was her name). She was busy with another client, so she invited us to help ourselves to afternoon tea in the lounge while we waited (what a goooorrrrrrgeous lounge and brilliant home-baked muffins!) I must say, it's one of the best welcomes we've ever received on our travels to date. We instantly relaxed and were ready for our weekend.

Next, the very helpful young lady sat us down in her office, and took time to find out what we wanted to eat and took the time to book it for us by telephone. Very helpful tips on visiting the town too.

Unfortunately, we had a really bad experience in the restaurant she recommended to us. We mentionned this to Penny at the end of our stay. Apparently we caught the manager (of the resto) on a bad night and she was usually charming since they knew her, and had good feedback from other clients. I'm sure this is true, having read a few good reviews on tripadvisor, but if a resto's bad side is that bad, I wouldn't risk my night on the possibility (everyone can have a bad day, not everyone's so rude when it happens, and if you allow yourself to be rude to clients, your policy is all wrong). Anyway, that's hardly the fault of La Petite Folie, but I'd thought I'd mention it for future travelers so you can make up your own mind. The place in question was Coté Resto.

The only availability Penny had left when I phoned, was the appartement Le Gernez (more like a house to be honest! Totally self contained two storey building with private front door entrance on street). Since we originally wanted a room, and our budget was tight, she did us a cheaper deal on the appartement.

Apparently, we were among the first clients to stay at the new appartement Le Gernez. And since there isn't any other review on this appartement yet, I can imagine that a review is helpful. The appartement happens to have once been the atelier of Paul Gernez, famous honfleur painter, and has retained many original features, which some people may find amazing. My husband and I aren't great fans of this art form and I'm sure we missed the greatness of the place. Enormous high ceilings, beautiful winding stairs to the mezzaine (avoid booking this appt if you have mobility problems) where there is a second toilet for nighttime duties (nice touch) and a very, very comfortable, well dressed bed, fit for any five star hotel. Good kitchen with all the basics (no oven though - however, this is noted in the email, so we were warned!) The bathroom is a good size, and the shower head too! Very good water pressure. It's obviously been very thought out, and designed so carefully. The finishing touches are five star quality - makes and models and quality materials give this place a real feeling of quality. It was extremely clean. Brand new clean. And the design very modern, very slick, and very comfortable. Certainly better than any five star hotel suite I've ever been in (I'm a hotel fanatic, I visit hotels when I'm on holiday, so I've seen a few!) You can sense the owners have put their heart and soul (and alot of time and money!) into this place. It is definately more than worth the rates they charge (not expensive for Honfleur anyway, particularly given its central location).

The garden. An amazing view, but not what I expected. Looking at the internet site of la petite folie, I expected a marie antoinnette style sculpted garden directly beneath my window. In fact, it's next door to the right. Personally, I think the view we got was even better. And staying at the Le Gernez, you have access to the sculpted garden anyway (ask for the key to garden gate - access is not directly from the appartement), so you get the best of both worlds. We had a leafy tree view. Loads of trees and greenery. And tennis courts beyond. Birds singing and loads of different colours. Beautiful sunlight. Staying in this appartement windows (massive windows) wide open, you feel like you're in the middle of a nature reserve. Very nice surprise indeed. My husband and I had a beautiful apéritif there for our anniversary and it couldn't have been more special.

Appartement very calm and dark enough to sleep at night (given the massive windows, and being a light sleeper, I was worried I'd be woken by the morning light. No problem there).

We met Penny at the end of our stay who was very welcoming.

I almost forgot to mention the homemade cakes and sweets and lovely note left by Penny in our appartement one day whilst we were out. This place is full of nice touches. Everything feels so cared for. You'd be hard pushed to find fault with La Petite Folie.

Verdict: we'll be back!

Room Tip: If you want maximum privacy, choose Le Gernez or Priscilla appts. They are not in the main building.
1  Thank QueenRabbit
Reviewed November 1, 2011

If you're looking to stay in Honfleur, look no further than La Petite Folie! We were made wonderfully welcome by Penny, Catherine and Thierry from the moment we arrived to the moment, very regretfully, we closed the door behind us for the last time. Real highlights for us were the extremely comfortable bed and blissful bed linen, the beautiful staircase and elegantly appointed rooms and tea/coffee 'on tap' in the salon from 4-7 pm in front of a log fire. An aura of calm, conviviality and congeniality pervades the house. Breakfast round the big table was delightful in the company of other guests, with our hosts always ready to chat and give advice; restaurant recommendations are carefully tailored to meet guests' needs - and purses! - and Penny and Catherine are excellent at securing well-placed tables. La Petite Folie is excellently situated in Honfleur for whatever you want to do, and we had no problem at all in parking right outside the front door of the house. 'Aurevoir' but by no means 'adieu'!

Reviewed October 29, 2011

My niece and I absolutely loved our trip to Honfleur and our stay at La Petite Folie. The inn is located on a small cobblestone street and is a couple blocks walk to the harbor, restaurants and everything you'll want to see in Honfleur. The guest rooms are beautifully appointed with top quality amenities in the bathrooms. A stylish parlor, and lovely garden are available for guests use downstairs. The breakfast includes luscious croissants, breads, fruits and juices as well as yogurt and a yummy regional cheese. Penny and her staff were incredibly helpful with whatever we needed. We called prior to our arrival in Honfleur and were told we could drop-off our bags prior to 4:00 check-in if we arrived by noon. When we arrived back at the inn after parking our car (a quick, easy walk away) we discovered that our incredibly heavy bags had been taken to our room on the top floor by Penny's thoughtful staff. Prior to arriving in France, I emailed Penny asking her for restaurant suggestions in Honfleur as well as hotel and restaurants in Paris. She sent me a comprehensive list of restaurants in Honfleur, with descriptions, as well as suggestions for my trip to Paris. Penny suggested that Sa Qua Na, in Honfleur, was not to be missed and it turned out to be the best meal we had in France (If you love to eat, you must go, but reserve in advance.) Honfleur is also a great place to stay as a base to explore other picturesque towns in the region. I highly recommend La Petite Folie and hope to return.

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem for you, ask for a room on the first floor, which is one flight up. We had no problem walking up to the top floor.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2011

My husband and I stayed recently at La Petitie Folie for 5 nights. It was exactly as it looked on the B & B's website - a lovely restored old home in the heart of Honfleur, close to everything. Our room The Kiosk overlooked the garden and Morrocan inspired Kiosk at the end of the garden. It was tastefully decorated with a lounging area and large entry. The bathroom was clean & modern with a good supply of Aveda products, which I love.
Penny was very helpful and accommodating to us. She suggested restaurants and offered some historical information on sights in Honfleur. One reviewer was dismayed that she wasn't "flowery" and although I'm not too sure what she meant by that, we loved Penny's enthusiasm for France and her desire to make us feel at home. We also loved sitting around the big breakfast table and sharing travelling stories with people from around the world.
La Petite Folie is not a "doiley" kind of B & B, but rather an elegant centuries old manor, finished with great care and attention to tradition.
Cathy Black-Pearlman
Calgary, AB, Canada

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the garden.