“Wonderful!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Honfleur
London
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

My husband and I recently spent 4 nights at La Maison de Lucie over the August bank holiday. We chose the hotel as we wanted a hotel a little special with a French feel to it!

La Maison de Lucie exceeded our expectations in all areas. Honfleur is a busy town, yet in La Maison de Lucie you can escape the bustle and relax in their gorgeous courtyard over a long lazy breakfast or afternoon coffee! As other visitors stroll past and peep their heads in with envy, you can sit their and feel rather smug!

Bedrooms and bathrooms are uniquely and beatifully furnished with fab views.

The service at the hotel is personal and relaxed, we felt very much as if La Maison de Lucie was our own home for the weekend (albeit an improved version!) Francois the manager was on hand for everything we needed and we really enjoyed being looked after by him.

Breakfast was delicious and should be enjoyed at leisure.

Practicalities:
Parking is a short walk away . The hotel is really well sign-posted, from their the hotel will direct you.
Central Honfleur is a 4 minute walk down a not too steep hill
Honfleur is a great place to visit - gets busy on weekends but not unbearable and at La Maison de Lucie you can escape the hustle and bustle.

All in all I cannot recommend this hotel enough. We were made to feel so special and welcome - I would go back tomorrow if I could!

• Liked — Courtyard area, service, furnishings & general feel!
  • Disliked — I honestly cannot think of anything!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jen77London

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Estepona, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2007

Firstly, parking is a big problem. Nothing close by and you finish up about 500 metres away up a narrow hillside road. A hilly walk away. There are 7 rooms - we were in the most expensive (room 5), which turned out to be a converted roof space with a sloping ceiling that made 50% of the space un-usable. It was also up 3 flights of stairs and not for anyone with breathing problems. A down hill walk of 5 minutes into the town. Quaint, but in August packed ! No air conditioning.
Only breakfast served in the hotel, adequate but not special.
Some might feel it to be cute - we didn't!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank artanis
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2007

Whilst researching where to stay in Honfleur, I came across the Maison du lucie and emailed asking about their availability. During the day it took to ask questions about the rooms available, it turned out that these rooms were booked to other guests, even though I had been clear about definately making the booking. The only option left was to book a suite, which was double the price of a double room. The suite itself was in a seperate, mini house across the courtyard and was furnished in a beautiful fashion, blending antiques with contemporary style. However, I felt that the accomodation was distinctly overpriced. Service was adequate upon checking in, although rather brusque. When we attempted to check out the next morning at 8am, the main house was locked up and we were unable to find anyone working there to settle our bill. We had to leave a scribbled note detailing payment methods - I was rather surprised that we didn't even receive an email from the hosts apologising or thanking us for making an effort. I think that the owners are rather complacent given that their hotel offers a different kind of stay than any other in Honfleur - just a shame it was style over substance.

• Stayed July 2007
6 Thank NikkiLondon
Rutland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2007

My wife and I can't recommend this lovely hotel strongly enough. It is hidden away in Honfleur, but is close to the centre. We stayed in room 4, (there are 6 rooms in total) which had great views across the town. Francois looked after us beautifully - there is a terrific courtyard where we enjoyed an aperitif. We didn't have time for breakfast but given that everything else was superb, I'm sure this would have been too!
The rooms are not air conditioned but we had the windows open!

Honfleur is a lovely place to visit and this hotel is a must if you do go there.

• Liked — overall excellence
  • Disliked — no air con
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DavoRutland
American in Moscow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2007

My husband & I stayed at La Maison de Lucie 3 weeks ago and I have to write a review for a number of reasons. I always check tripadvisor before booking anything, anywhere & I figure it's about time I participated in giving feedback (this is my 1st). We found Lucie through trip advisor so, it's with gratitude that I thank all those who do leave feedback, good or bad. Lastly, "Lucie" deserves feedback - she's lovely!

Unfortunately, we only had one night in Honfleur, which itself is worth a special trip.

I had read comments about the hotel's poor booking service, so rather than take a chance, I called to reserve a room. I was told that I still needed to fill in the online form, but that I should do so the next day due to computer probems they were having. I tried the next day without success, called again and was told not to worry because "I tried".

No probems with reservation.Generally, these small B&B type places don't have great online booking systems and I think it's always best to call to confirm or book. In this regard, Lucie is no different than most.

Lucie is charming - stylish, intimate without being pretentious & made even more special by the hospitality of the manager, Francois and the owner, Nadim. This really set them apart from the other places we stayed at in Normandy.

The town itself is a bit confusing when driving in with extremely narrow, curvy streets. Fortunately there is excellent signage to Lucie and all other hotels. The hotel does have parking, but I would suggest informing them when making a reservation that you have a car as the car park is relatively small. Francois escorted us to the car park which is just a 5 minute walk away. He had an umnbrella for us as it was drizzling when we arrived.

We had one of the cheaper (or cheapest) rooms (150 euros) on the 1st floor & it was delightful. Remember, the 1st floor in France is always one flight up! The decor was lovely; great bed with wonderful fresh, crisp, high quality linens, 5 windows with a view over the courtyard and roofs of the town; simple, but classy decor with a fabulous bath.

There's a very nice, small courtyard which we couldn't take advantage of as we had bad weather.

The hotel is about a 10 minute walk down a small hill to the old harbor. I don't do great on hills, but no problem.

Yes, you must arrive before 10PM (which they tell you when you make a reservation) as Francois leaves and locks the courtyard. Guests are given the code to the courtyard door.

There are 2 sitting rooms which are beautifully decorated where you can relax and have a smoke, if you're a smoker. The sitting rooms also serve as breakfast rooms in case of bad weather such as we had. Breakfast is made to order upon request - eggs as you'd like them done, bacon, croissants & other breads, endless coffee, and fabulous freshly squeezed orange juice. As everywhere in France, expensive at 17 euros, but at least you get a "real" breakfast.

The basement jacuzzi is a must! It's yours for an hour as long as you book it in advance. Like everything else at Lucie, beautifully designed and a very special private retreat. A must do!

We really enjoyed talking with Francois & Nadim. The good news is that Nadim & his partner have bought the house next door so they'll have more rooms in the future.

There are two serene housedogs, Bob & Zooey who add to the homelike atmosphere.

We would absolutely stay here again & hope we have the chance.

Strange that no one's posted any photos, so I'll be the 1st as I always appreciate honest photos in other people's postings.

Can't say enough good things about this special place. Thank you Francois & Nadim! If you go to Honfleur stay for at least 2 or 3 nights. The town & Lucie are worth it. Enjoy!

• Liked — Decor, location, hospitality.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank scg128
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2007

we turned up on the bastille day and were offered a suite - whilst expensive for the last night of our holiday it was a welcome relief from a rain spent and cold holiday in a family house deeper in normandy. Honfleur itself is stunning and well worth a longer stay, but the mainson de lucie = just stunning fantastic decor, hugely comfortable bed, and amazing living room. The bathroom - fantastic shower and beautifully decorated. The service from who we presume to be the owner was superb and whilst settling in he came to inform us of the jacuzzi downstairs - heaven!
More than worth the price and made a magical end to a slightly disappointing week that had preceded - be sure to go!

• Liked — The quality of the decor
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2007

Very beautiful and central! The breakfast in the courtyard with fresh squeezed orange juice and croissants and the jacuzzi on the lower level are the little things that make this hotel stand out in a country so full of beauty.

Stayed August 2005