“This is not a 3 star hotel - do not recommend this hotel. It is terrible.”
Review of Castel Albertine

and 1 more site!
Castel Albertine
Ranked #30 of 33 Hotels in Honfleur
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Calling this place a 3 star hotel should be a crime. I have stayed at other 3 star hotels in France and they were nothing like this place. If they ever gave negative stars, this is the first place on the list.

Other than the location, this hotel has absolutely nothing going for it. There is onstreet parking that is free and there is a locked parking lot for 10 euros a night. Park on the street. There are plenty of street lights.

Upon entering the lobby, the stench of smoke was everywhere. This is advertised as a non-smoking hotel and it certainly is not. When we approached the man at the reception desk, oh my was he put out that he had to talk to us. We were such an inconvenience. The man on the desk the next day was equally as disagreeable. In the course of the month that I've been in France, this hotel had the monopoly on rude male reception staff. No one has came close to these folks. The only bright spot was the charming lady who checked us out in the morning. We left very early because the rooms were just so hot.

Wifi was supposed to be available in the 'far' parlor. What wifi? I went to the wifi room and tried to connect for 30 minutes with no luck. Again, stinky smokey room so I really didn't want to stick around any longer.

Trapsed up 3 flights of stairs to our rooms (no lift or assistance here). My room was in the attic, under the corner of the roof. Slanted ceilings made standing up a challenge and I'm only 5 foot 6 inches tall. There were 3 small windows in the room; non opened except for a small slit at the top. I felt like I was in a castle lookout tower. They sprang for pricy window shades for these windows, so what's the deal here?

And hot? It was unbelievable. I wanted to rip the windows out of the sashes. We asked the unfriendly, unhelpful man at reception if he could turn down the heat. We received a withering glance and were dismissed.

The room was filthy with exposed wiring in the corner of the baseboard - made me feel really safe. The carpet was horrible, the bed rolled to the middle and was the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in. The linens were gray and the headboard (cloth) was greasy looking and had a cigarette burn in it. I wanted to sleep in the car.

And the bathroom. What can I say. Filthy, smelly, moldy; tiny goes without saying, but I can live with small. I cannot live with filth. And there was this weird plastic skylight-thing bolted to a bit hole in the ceiling above the shower. On the oppositte side of the plastic, it looked like it ws covered with bugs. It wasn't well secured, so I could only hope that it didn't fall in. I put one of the see-through towels on the shower floor because there was no way I was standing on that floor.

Avoid this hotel at all costs. Sleep in your car, sleep anyplace but this place. If I could I would give it all zeros across the board.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank fannyfrance2010

Reviewed October 18, 2010

The location of this hotel is very good and from the outside you are deceived into thinking it is a very nice hotel. As soon as I entered the lobby I realised that it was in serious need of updating. Everything about this hotel is shabby, carpets, curtains, woodwork, everything. The room was dirty, especially the bathroom and I didn't feel as though I would like to take off my shoes, which I didn't! The bed was small and very uncomfortable, the headboard had grubby marks from other peoples heads!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 5, 2010

We booked this hotel for two nights, and stayed ONE night. It was totally misrepresented, small and cramped, hot with no window only a skyligh. It was like an attic room with the sides slanted inward. It was unbearable hot as the temperatures were in the high 80s outside, hot and stuffy inside with NO air conditioning or windows, unbelievalbly terrible. We had to go up several flights of stairs, no elevator of course! The manager or attendent (the only person we saw) was not friendly to say the least and we were totally overlooked. When we asked for a different room, he said there was none!

When we asked why the wireless computer service was not available as advertised, his answer was...."I am not a computer expert and I don't know" to us that was not acceptable for the price we paid, and he was very rude. We had to ask him to turn on a light in the lounge area so we could see our computer and he was reluctant to do so. This wireless service was advertised on their website also the rooms looked beautiful and were advertised as such, with a big window, clean and efficient, totally misrepresented in every way! When we arrived they put us in a room then changed us to another one was as bad as the first. He said they made a mistake and put us in the wrong room so we were moved supposidely to OUR room. . It was unbelievable hot and we would have left but we had driven all day and would have to pay for one night anyway with no computer service to find another hotel at the time.

We choose this place because it had parking and was in town, well that is the only thing in our view, that this place has going for it. We did not see any staff only this rude guy who would not even look at us when we approached him. I do not think two people in their 60s especially us would intimidate anyone. We would not recommend this hotel to anyone. We left at 4am to get out of there with about an hour of sleep, most terrible experience of all our ten years of traveling to Europe.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sedina
Reviewed October 29, 2009

What a gem of a place Honfleur is but how dissappointing the Castel Albertine. Booked on-line for it's location near to the port, outwardly this looks a nice accomodation but looks can be deceptive. A Grand Hotel in it's youth no doubt but a very very faded lady now. Ghastly room, damp, cold and a bathroom to avoid. Reception were as cold as the room and it being the tail end of September thought it outrageous we should want the heating on, much less supply a portable heater. Thank goodness it was only one night.. Breakfast was mediochre and we heard complaints made about the coffee. We shall return to Honfleur without doubt and have selected our choice for a longer stay. Avoid the Castel Albertine if you want comfort and cleanliness.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2009

Room was at top of 2 steep flights of stairs (no lift) and was generally grubby, certainly not up to 3 star standard.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrightonSherbert
Reviewed September 25, 2009

When you make reservations for this hotel and have a car, make sure that you also reserve a parking space with them. When we arrived we were told all spots taken, park on the street, which was very crowded and we only found a spot by chance. The man at the front desk must have been the same one everyone else has written about because he was very rude, However, to his credit, he did find us a parking spot in their gated lot. I guess he knew how upset we were with not being told when we reserved our room 4 months in advance that we also needed to reserve a parking spot.
Otherwise the room was very nice, breakfast was fine and location was a bit of a walk to the harbor but it was right down the main street.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dkfCT
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Stayed in this hotel for one night ont he way to Brittany from Calais. Honfleur is beautiful and the hotel is only a short walk from the harbour. Staff were all very friendly and courteous and the rooms were clean.

We will be visiting Honfleur again next year and will use this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple