“In the footsteps of the Impressionists- Left Wonderful Impression”

La Ferme Saint Simeon - Relais et Chateaux
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Honfleur
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This place is magical and exceeded our expectations when we visited for four nights in late June. The setting is superb, amid vivid lawns and gardens bursting with blooms that you see from every room- yours (all have window boxes and views of the gardens), the main salon, the dining room and the terraces. Our junior suite was organized more like a suite with lounge and bedroom separated by wall and closet - but for a door between them it would have been a full suite I suppose. While the rooms were not large, they were comfortable and furnished in a more contemporary style with bare light wood floors, lots of ancient paneling and a fabulous bath- one of the better ones at this price point. The spa, pool, hamman and treatments were all top notch, and the al fresco relaxation area was a delight - beautiful to behold and serene. The dining room is gorgeous and warm- big beams and stucco with an array of wonderful artwork splayed across all of the walls. The art competes with the views of the estuary and the Pont de Normande. Our heads were swiveling. The service is very good, and the food is generally excellent. Our only disappointment was on a Sunday evening when the second team staff was not quite up to the task of top French service (every other night was grand and friendly), and two dishes were mis-prepared. We mentioned this to management and the response was truly professional and generous: They treated us to dinner and all wine (the head of the staff selected a bottle of fine Hermitage). We loved it here and plan to return when next in the vicinity. You can sense the presence of Boudin, Corot, Courbet, Monet, Jongkind and the others here. La Ferme left a lasting and fine impression on us. We urge you to visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main house up two flights of stairs. Not a problem for us, but if climbing stairs...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Drapeaued

Reviewed July 9, 2013

The main building and its property overlooking the water is stunning. Upon arrival we received a glass of cider and an apple tart which was a nice touch. The grounds are spacious and well kept giving the property luxurious yet relaxing atmosphere. Our room however was very small and lacked a view. It did not have an AC and was very warm inside. I suggest you inquire the size and location of the room when you book. The spa had a big pool and jacuzzi with a beautiful view of the water. The staircase leading to the spa had a lot of photos of celebrities who stayed there. They must have stayed at a much nicer room. The was beautiful but we did not fully enjoyed our stay because of the size and location of our room.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I recently stayed at this property with my wife and two teenage sons. It was not a good experience. First of all let me state the positives. The actual property is beautiful. The location is very convenient to the heart of Honfleur. The town of Honfleur is a wonderful place to visit full of kind, gracious people. The service at Ferme Saint Simeon is awful. When our car pulled up to the front door we were not greeted by anyone. Our driver finally carried our luggage inside the hotel as the staff watched. We were given two suites on opposite sides of the hotel so our children were far away from us. This obviously was not what we wanted. My two boys, ages 15 and 14 and I walked down to the spa looking for the the health club so we could work out. As we were standing by the pool an employee came up to us said there was no health club and in a nasty way asked us to leave. I have no idea why we were treated this way. We had a dinner reservation. When we came down to the dining room and gave our name the host pointed to a table and said "that one". We were not escorted to our table or seated. After we said down, we were completely ignored. After 10 minutes my wife got up and asked for menus. A disgusted waiter came over and tossed menus at us. After another 15 minutes of being ignored we got up and left. I went to the front desk and asked to speak to the manager. I was told that there was no manger on duty. At that point the head waiter came over and said to me" This is France not the United States." I politely told him that this was about poor service not what country we were in. I found his comment very offensive. I have traveled to 23 different countries and have visited France many times. Several years ago I was an officer at a company that had a branch in Paris. I am very, very fond of France. I enjoy visiting France immensely, just not this hotel!! I could go on and on here...the WIFI at the hotel stops working every two minutes and asks you to sign in, the stairwells are poorly lit and are difficult to walk up at night, etc. The list goes on and on. I think my 15 year old so summed it up best. He said "Dad, I just did not feel welcome at that hotel." Well, neither did I. When I checked out I asked to speak to the manager again. Once again, there was no manager on duty. I did speak to an assistant manager, but I really wish I could have seen the manager. In contrast to Ferme Saint Simeon, we stayed at The Hotel Meurice in Paris the next 5 nights. The manager personally greeted us and gave us his card. He called me twice during our stay to make sure everything was ok. When we checked out another manager was there to be sure our stay met our expectations. The Ferme Saint Simeon could learn from this.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank DavidT31
David_Vigier, Assistant Manager at La Ferme Saint Simeon - Relais et Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear DavidT31
Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor website about your stay at La Ferme Saint Siméon. We are sorry that you didn't enjoy your entire stay at all.
Your booking was done through a travel agency, which informed us that you asked for rooms in the main house, which is not a standard building. It is why your two rooms where not next to each other. By a simple request of your agency, or by yourself at the front desk at check in, we would have pleasure to propose a convenient solution for your family.
Regarding your dinner, you mentioned that you were ignored, which is not really true. In fact, our Maître d'hôtel was waiting that the 4 of you were seated on table, but you were in the lounge with your Ipad, while your wife was in the restaurant. This explains why she waited for the menus, which, in a gastronomic restaurant, are given when everybody is seated. That is what our restaurant manager tried to make you understood.
Thank you for making us the honor to compare our family owned property to Le Meurice Palace, first Parisian Palace. However, I truly believe that, as an Assistant General Manager, I was the right person you could to talk to, but you didn't accept it.
I would have appreciated to discuss about your disappointment, and would have probably found a solution to make your stay more enjoyable. I tried by myself to get in touch with your travel agent to contact you by email, but at this time, no answer !
You travel in many countries, and I am sure, if you contact me or provide me your email address, that I will have a good idea to change your mind about our Lovely Hotel.
Best regards

Reviewed June 28, 2013

This hotel is the most romantic and enchanted place you can possibly find. You can rent bikes, it's main restaurant is delicious, the breakfast in the morning incredible, in the middle of nature and a five monute walk from the center!

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Jeanbirk
Reviewed June 7, 2013

While in Honfleur, France , we decided to have lunch at Ferme St. Simeon. We thought it had a Michelin star ( I do not think so ) and it is a fine hotel, beautiful location and a short walk from the city center. The dining room was lovely , and the food quite good, but it was very expensive and not exceptional. We were there in May which is "off season" and could be the reason it was not up to it's reputation for fine dining.

Room Tip: The cocktail area is lovely and very relaxing.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Thomas H
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The view from my room was absolutely stunning. this property is on the edge of town so it's a little bit of a walk into the center. The hotel though was in a quiet location so that is a plus the property is "Stunning".
WiFi is ok not good enough to stream. The bedrooms may be updated but the bathroom did not have a shower and getting luggage up a stairway was a little precarious. The staff was extremely helpful in accomplishing it. The breakfast for the cost was a little over priced for what you get. I would have love to eat in the hotel but the dinning room was booked so as a hotel guest I had to eat somewhere else. And becasaue they so booked I would guess the food is as good as the ambiance. I would recommend that you call ahead to make sure they have room to seat you.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We only stayed for one night, but had the feeling we had been there for a while.
Walking distance from the lovely city of Honfleur and so far away from the real world.
Very quite scenery and beautiful garden aroud the hotel with lovely views on the " Baie de la Seine".
Excellent and warm welcome with over friendly staff ( with the exception of one ! you will find out when you stay ...) everybody is very helpful and friendly.
Rooms are very nice and quite, you really feel pampered. Little home made cakes and bottle of Cidre give you "The Feeling"
Spa and related activities are pretty nice and very clean.
Restaurant is a great adventure : superb gastronomy and quite Great taste with exceptional presentation. Our "Dessert au Chocolat" was a master piece on itself.
With the exception of the wines ( rather expensive), but what a list I can't figure out on what could be improved.
We will be back indeed!