“Poor service with a terrible attitude”

La Ferme Saint Simeon - Relais et Chateaux
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Honfleur
Nashville, Tennessee
“Poor service with a terrible attitude”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I recently stayed at this property with my wife and two teenage sons. It was not a good experience. First of all let me state the positives. The actual property is beautiful. The location is very convenient to the heart of Honfleur. The town of Honfleur is a wonderful place to visit full of kind, gracious people. The service at Ferme Saint Simeon is awful. When our car pulled up to the front door we were not greeted by anyone. Our driver finally carried our luggage inside the hotel as the staff watched. We were given two suites on opposite sides of the hotel so our children were far away from us. This obviously was not what we wanted. My two boys, ages 15 and 14 and I walked down to the spa looking for the the health club so we could work out. As we were standing by the pool an employee came up to us said there was no health club and in a nasty way asked us to leave. I have no idea why we were treated this way. We had a dinner reservation. When we came down to the dining room and gave our name the host pointed to a table and said "that one". We were not escorted to our table or seated. After we said down, we were completely ignored. After 10 minutes my wife got up and asked for menus. A disgusted waiter came over and tossed menus at us. After another 15 minutes of being ignored we got up and left. I went to the front desk and asked to speak to the manager. I was told that there was no manger on duty. At that point the head waiter came over and said to me" This is France not the United States." I politely told him that this was about poor service not what country we were in. I found his comment very offensive. I have traveled to 23 different countries and have visited France many times. Several years ago I was an officer at a company that had a branch in Paris. I am very, very fond of France. I enjoy visiting France immensely, just not this hotel!! I could go on and on here...the WIFI at the hotel stops working every two minutes and asks you to sign in, the stairwells are poorly lit and are difficult to walk up at night, etc. The list goes on and on. I think my 15 year old so summed it up best. He said "Dad, I just did not feel welcome at that hotel." Well, neither did I. When I checked out I asked to speak to the manager again. Once again, there was no manager on duty. I did speak to an assistant manager, but I really wish I could have seen the manager. In contrast to Ferme Saint Simeon, we stayed at The Hotel Meurice in Paris the next 5 nights. The manager personally greeted us and gave us his card. He called me twice during our stay to make sure everything was ok. When we checked out another manager was there to be sure our stay met our expectations. The Ferme Saint Simeon could learn from this.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank DavidT31
David_Vigier, Assistant Manager at La Ferme Saint Simeon - Relais et Chateaux, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear DavidT31
Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor website about your stay at La Ferme Saint Siméon. We are sorry that you didn't enjoy your entire stay at all.
Your booking was done through a travel agency, which informed us that you asked for rooms in the main house, which is not a standard building. It is why your two rooms where not next to each other. By a simple request of your agency, or by yourself at the front desk at check in, we would have pleasure to propose a convenient solution for your family.
Regarding your dinner, you mentioned that you were ignored, which is not really true. In fact, our Maître d'hôtel was waiting that the 4 of you were seated on table, but you were in the lounge with your Ipad, while your wife was in the restaurant. This explains why she waited for the menus, which, in a gastronomic restaurant, are given when everybody is seated. That is what our restaurant manager tried to make you understood.
Thank you for making us the honor to compare our family owned property to Le Meurice Palace, first Parisian Palace. However, I truly believe that, as an Assistant General Manager, I was the right person you could to talk to, but you didn't accept it.
I would have appreciated to discuss about your disappointment, and would have probably found a solution to make your stay more enjoyable. I tried by myself to get in touch with your travel agent to contact you by email, but at this time, no answer !
You travel in many countries, and I am sure, if you contact me or provide me your email address, that I will have a good idea to change your mind about our Lovely Hotel.
Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This hotel is the most romantic and enchanted place you can possibly find. You can rent bikes, it's main restaurant is delicious, the breakfast in the morning incredible, in the middle of nature and a five monute walk from the center!

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Jeanbirk
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 7, 2013

While in Honfleur, France , we decided to have lunch at Ferme St. Simeon. We thought it had a Michelin star ( I do not think so ) and it is a fine hotel, beautiful location and a short walk from the city center. The dining room was lovely , and the food quite good, but it was very expensive and not exceptional. We were there in May which is "off season" and could be the reason it was not up to it's reputation for fine dining.

Room Tip: The cocktail area is lovely and very relaxing.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Thomas H
Laguna Beach
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The view from my room was absolutely stunning. this property is on the edge of town so it's a little bit of a walk into the center. The hotel though was in a quiet location so that is a plus the property is "Stunning".
WiFi is ok not good enough to stream. The bedrooms may be updated but the bathroom did not have a shower and getting luggage up a stairway was a little precarious. The staff was extremely helpful in accomplishing it. The breakfast for the cost was a little over priced for what you get. I would have love to eat in the hotel but the dinning room was booked so as a hotel guest I had to eat somewhere else. And becasaue they so booked I would guess the food is as good as the ambiance. I would recommend that you call ahead to make sure they have room to seat you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Bruxelles, Belgique
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We only stayed for one night, but had the feeling we had been there for a while.
Walking distance from the lovely city of Honfleur and so far away from the real world.
Very quite scenery and beautiful garden aroud the hotel with lovely views on the " Baie de la Seine".
Excellent and warm welcome with over friendly staff ( with the exception of one ! you will find out when you stay ...) everybody is very helpful and friendly.
Rooms are very nice and quite, you really feel pampered. Little home made cakes and bottle of Cidre give you "The Feeling"
Spa and related activities are pretty nice and very clean.
Restaurant is a great adventure : superb gastronomy and quite Great taste with exceptional presentation. Our "Dessert au Chocolat" was a master piece on itself.
With the exception of the wines ( rather expensive), but what a list I can't figure out on what could be improved.
We will be back indeed!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PDW188644
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed for three nights on a trip to Normandy. I liked the location, about 1 KM to the harbor area, so it was an easy stroll into town for dinner or whatever. The inn is a historic farmhouse and is generally very well done with lots of beamed ceilings and generally attractive architecture with lots of character. The lawn and outdoor patio areas are very nice, when the weather is nice – our first evening was a bit cold, but clear and it was enjoyable to sit outside. The room I had was in the main house it was a pretty good size and pretty comfortable, but not what I would describe as luxurious – more French farmhouse nice. It was rated as sea view and if you stood at the window it was, but you had to be right at the window. The room had a king size bed, small table, two comfortable chairs, and settee. Closet space was pretty limited, the draws in the dresser tended to fall forward and there was no coffee or tea service in the room. The bathroom was a nice size with separate shower and soaking tub, single vanity with plenty of counter space and a small water closet. However, I did not have hot water (warm only) the first two days. After letting them know, they did get it fixed, but housekeeping should have noticed and taken care of it. There was a small bottle of water in the room when I arrived, which was never refreshed – not what I would expect for the rate paid. Had dinner in the dining room one evening, very good dinner, but overpriced. At least a couple of restaurants in town are better and much less expensive (see reviews for Le Breard and Cote Resto). The breakfast buffet in the morning is small, but more than adequate and very high quality. On the second day I notice they have eggs cooked to order (small sign in French), but no one offered and I had to ask. The hotel does not have a gym, which given the rain and rich food, makes it difficult to stay healthy. There is a nice indoor pool, but because of the location of the stairs in the pool, swimming laps is not possible, so don’t plan to get much exercise while staying here. Service at the hotel was generally very good, but some gaps. My laundry was not placed in the room in the evening, had to call down the next morning – it was then brought right up. My friend’s room was not serviced until night time turndown service, even though he was out of the room all day. All in all, a nice stay but not worth 400+ Euros per night, not including the 30 Euro continental breakfast. When I mentioned they may want to consider a discount for no hot water, they provided 20% off, which I thought was fair and made it a reasonable rate for me.

Room Tip: Sea view is not worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Upon our arrival we were pleasantly surprised by the warm welcome and the fact that we were upgraded to a very luxury room. The scenery is stunning. The garden is a gem.
Breakfast is excellent, I cannot think about anything that is missing! The home-made yoghurt is almost like a desert, delicious.

We will be back soon!