“I hope I will learn not to com back (overall)”

Restaurant L'Estuaire
Ranked #109 of 165 Restaurants in Honfleur
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Vancouver, Canada
“I hope I will learn not to com back (overall)”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

One more disappointment in Normandy and during this trip, which had plenty. Tried something different this time, a set menu in a nice looking outdoor space that this restaurant presented in the long line of very similar looking restaurants. Overall every place looks very touristy and the town is full of them. two 29 euro and two 19 euro set menu, glass of wine and water, still rang out 130 euros, or 200 Can (try to spent that much on a very simple meal in vancouver). Mussels uneatable, small and dry, gizzards salad - ok, but tasted more like ham, fish (sea bass) overcooked or cooked in advance and reheated, dry and tasteless . disgusting. seafood usual tourist fare, oysters - tasty and fresh, some see snails and and overcooked crab or langoustine, which clearly was on the ice for longer then needed, as the texture is no longer firm. Service was prompt and friendly, not to many smokers on the patio at that time which is a big plus, the standard offering of no english menu or any knowledge of english by the servers ( why bother as long they customer comes and pays, it is not need and keep the sense of national pride up). Definitely not coming back to the area and the country.

• Visited July 2013

Doncaster, United Kingdom
“went twice!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

well I really don't know where everyone else gets their view of this place but we cant and wont fault it. we ate here twice and the food was good, I am not saying we haven't had better because we have eaten at some of the finest but you would be hard pushed to find any faults worth mentioning with this. I had duck the second time and it just fell off the bone really well cooked but still pink and my husband had oysters both nights and they were absolutely fine. the owner dosent have much engish but then again we don't have much French but she was welcoming and friendly the waitress was a nice girl and although the wine was a bit expensive overall it was a good meal, really convenient for our hotel, didn't mind that we were the last ones in on one night, and all in all we wouldn't have done it any different. a good teste is always if it is busy and it was both nights that we ate there as well as the one s we didn't. give it a try and don't be put off by other reviews

• Visited June 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“One to avoid if you are British!”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We visit Honfleur quite often because we tend to do a night there on the way to or from the ferry at Le Havre. We have tried lots of the restaurants there over the years but, until this recent trip in May 2103, had not previously been to the L’Estuaire. I’m sorry to report that it was very bad choice. The food itself was ok, although not up to the standard of most French chefs, but the service was just terrible. The three staff on duty just did not seem to be bothered, they stood around chatting and basically ignored us. We had to ask for things (e.g. water) several times before anything arrived and we just could not extract a bill from them at the end of the ordeal. What made it worse was that they was just no civility, no smiles, no pleasantries, no “bon appetit” etc. and what made me really furious was that they seemed to have a completely different attitude to the FRENCH customers who were greeted with smiles, waited on promptly, and served with due diligence. I can get by in French reasonably well and always try to ask for things in French politely, so it’s not as if I was a hopeless British person expecting them to deal with me in English, but they clearly had an “attitude” problem. I observed the comings and goings during the painful and extended duration of our meal, and the staff seemed to behave in the same ignorant manner to the other British diners, so it wasn’t just a personal issue against us. There are lots of lovely restaurants in Honfleur, especially The Corsaire around the corner, so I would avoid this one. Most of the businesses in Honfleur do very well out of the vast numbers of British tourists who flock there, xenophobia is economically not in their best interest, so the very silly staff in this restaurant need to think on and perhaps learn to behave with some manners to their fellow Europeans.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Popintops
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not a great experience”
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

It started so well, nice appearance and menu but when my wife's main course arrived with my entree.....a basic but fundamental error, the whole evening began to spoil. My main course was a very long time coming, the staff seemed miserable and when several people put there coats back on, commenting about the cold inside the restaurant, the front door was left wide open!
Food was ok but the service and care was poor.

Visited May 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Food not cooked to order. served dry and cold.”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Would not recommend go eat here. Food not prepared like a restaurant more like cheap cafe.