“Still great”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Berkshire, United Kingdom
“Still great”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Another great meal here. We’ve loved this restaurant for years and always go when we visit Normandy. The food is simple brasserie fare (although the fish and seafood are particularly good) but it’s the atmosphere we go for. Even in the winter, you can sit outside under the heated canopy and watch Trouville go by and the fish market opposite. Service is very French and supremely efficient. We paid 70 euros for two adults and two children and had three courses plus a glass of wine and beer and coffees. Highly recommended.

• Visited April 2013

Surrey, UK
“Typical French brasserie”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

If you are in Trouville on market (or indeed any) day, go no further than this popular brasserie across the road from the seafood stalls and fish market. Sweet mussels and frites for me, and a huge salad for my wife, plus a glass of white wine each, all after a morning walking around the lively market were pretty much the perfect end. (Deauville in contrast was at the boring end of the spectrum in all respects).

Service was French brasserie style. Locals were plentiful. Plates of seafood were the meals of choice.

Check out the loos on the first floor of the hotel to which the brasserie is attached!

• Visited April 2013
Cambridge
“A good choice”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Despite the cold this Easter Sunday, we walked along this bustling quayside looking for a restaurant with an appealing menu and an outside table in the sun. Brasserie Le Central has outside seating for a hundred or more (and many more on 3 floors inside) and we managed to get a sheltered table in the sun and with a heater to take the chill off the air and keep the food warm. We went for a reasonably priced 4 course set menu. We chose the seafood/fish options which were beautifully cooked and service was surprisingly attentive considering the high number of diners and limited space for the waiters to manoeuvre. Our (fresh) bread was constantly topped up and courses were brought at decent intervals and no effort was made to move you on. There was a great buzz to the place which was mainly full of french diners and families. There are no concessions for foreigners - if you want English in menus, waiters who speak English and anything but typical Normandy food then this is not the place for you.

• Visited March 2013
Fremantle
“Wonderful”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We visited Le Central on a whim a few days before Christmas. It was so busy, and so full of locals, we figured it was a safe bet. What a treat! We had no reservation (I don't even know whether they take them) and were lucky to get a table for 3 upstairs. The brasserie is charming, right on the waterfront and opposite Trouville's famous seafood markets. It's menu is full of seafood, but there are meat options (and a kid's menu) as well.

The place was packed, and I wasn't really optimistic about its food or service. We knew nothing of its reputation. But the service was very friendly, the meals arrived so quickly I was astonished, and the food was superb. The mussels in cream were the best I've had ever in my life. Groups on neighbouring tables had come to feast on the most amazing seafood platters I've ever seen. (And I live in a large fishing port).

I was surprised to read some of the reviews of disappointing experiences on this website when we got back. But I guess that given the restaurant is so big, its staff so large and with the volume of meals covered there are bound to be some who leave disappointed.

I suspect we paid more than we might have done if we'd gone elsewhere, but the quality was streets ahead of the lunch we'd had in a nearby bistro the previous day and, frankly, not much more expensive. But the ambience and experience was the best we've had in France.

• Visited December 2012
Monza, Italy
“The worst waitress”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The waitress did not permit us to order. I am not joking. From the beginning she traited us as "stupid boring foreigners", and she played the game she did not understand my french. It was surreal. After 5 minutes of rudeness, unkindness and stress I left the restaurant and the waitress to her "perfect" french and her ignorance of courtesy . I propose the owner of the restaurant to control better his personnel.

• Visited September 2012