“Not very friendly”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Five Islands
Five Islands Rv Campground and Resort
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were in the area and decided to stop and check out this campground. We are campers in our 40's with 2 kids. We just wanted to check out the campground to see if we would like it for later on. The lady at the office would not let us go in to visit the park. This is the first time that we were ever refused to enter a campground to visit. After reading the reviews on this place I don't think it's a place that I would like to bring my family.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank MonetteDieppe_Canada

Reviewed June 10, 2013

What can we say, my wife and I love to travel the maritime's, very scenic. In the fall we began to plan our weekends for trips and our first spot this year on May long weekend was Five Islands Resort. First a tip for the owners remove the word resort and replace with DUMP. I wish I had of read all the comments about this place prior to booking there. Many of the issues from the past 2 years still exist today including SANDY. This person Sandy who yes people is the owner is rude, ignorant and is in it solely to take your money. Our stay started withe the check in process, not computerized 30 min to check in, Tim, Sandy's boyfriend will argue and convince you that 'Cash is King' and they dangle a little discount in front of you if you pay cash. One needs to wonder why it's always cash, are they not reporting any income or is it so you can't get a refund from your credit card company. After we finally checked in we were escorted by Sandy on her little princess golf cart to our site we noticed the place was deserted only 3 other units so far. We parked, set up began cooking dinner. An hour later here Comes Sandy on her little princess cart yelling and screaming at us because we were in the wrong spot. She told us we moved from where she put us and we had to pay more and demanded cash right then and now. I laughed at her and said seriously you think we moved? I said no, our ticket says this site. She argued some more then left. Well 11 oclock rolls around, the wife and I are just falling asleep when we were awoken by a loud banging on our door. I got up, answered it and there she is again Sandy yelling at me again because apparently I moved into the wrong spot again, which by the way I never did move the first time. There was another RV parked on the pathway and the guy had the most dumbfounded look on his face when Sandy told us to pack up and leave. I said to here you know what, no problem as soon as you refund me my money. She reiterated the policies of no refunds blah blah blah then threatened to call the cops. I said go ahead because my ticket says this spot. The other guy in the RV looked at the ticket and sure enough she double booked the spot. Now one has to wonder how do you double book a spot because when I got up in the morning and went for a jog, I counted 11 sites booked and that was it. So let's review the facilities, Rec room Condemned, Pool Condemned although the official sign from the NS Health Department was removed later that day, Men's washroom still out of order since last year, play ground old and rusty would never allow children to play on it, Garbage bin still full from last year and smelt of rotten food which by 3pm the whole camp ground could smell. 4pm Saturday after yet another argument with Sandy because Sandy fealt we were causing trouble because 2 other people had come over and asked us what was going on last night. Needless to say we all started to tell her off and shortly vacated the campsite. People safe yourself the trouble, do not go there, do not pay cash if you do because you have no recourse. I read on another complaint that Sandy was a former teacher and won a dream home which is where she got the money to buy this place and they live in Phoenix during the off season.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Dave L
Reviewed August 20, 2012

After reading a brochure on this campground we decided to book a Waterfront site for five nights. The only good thing I have to say about this campground is the view is amazing. The waterfront sites cost $44.90 (taxes in) the trailer in the next lot was so close you could have heard them fart. The site was very rocky with next to no grass. There were some other pull through sites that were bigger but not by much. Here are the bad things about this campground; The bathroom floors would be totally wet from the humidity anyone could haves slipped and fell. There were no caution signs anywhere. We were there for five days and seen no one clean the pool, may daughter and I skimmed the bugs out so we could go swimming. Oh and there are no chairs at the pool, so take your own. The playground, well it looked like something out of the 50's and pretty unsafe looking. The so called rec hall was not open and there were no activities for the kids. You could get sports equipment but you have to pay a deposit and depending on what you wanted to do your deposit could cost you $100. The office hours were unbelievable, they opened at 10:00 and closed at 6:00pm. The owner (lady) gave my husband a hard time as he came into the office to buy ice about 5 mins before they were due to open. My god you would think during peak camping season they would be open earlier and close later. They do have wii-fi but it continually kept dropping while we were there. One evening my husband and I decided to take our 5 month old West Highland Terrier (11 lbs) into an open field to play off leash with a frisbee. Well within 5 mins the owner came down over the field and told us to put her on a leash for fear she might bite someone. Oh, there is not access to beach unless you go to through a field or someone's site.

The owner/manager (female), well let me tell you had a know the day this happened I would have gone into the office a ripped a major strip off her. On the first day we were there may daughter went to buy and ice cream at the office. My daughter said the lady did not know how to scoop ice cream and when she gave it to my daughter it fell on the mat. The lady told her to take it back to her trailer and wash it off. When she told me this I was so mad. For god sake it was just and ice cream she could have given her a new scoop.

We also talked to some other campers who were from Ohio and Arizona. The Ohio couple could not get their trailer into the site so they were moved and charged and additional $2.00 per night. The couple from Arizona checked in 2 hours early and was charged and additional $2.00 This is not showing very good NS hospitality.

These owners are only in it for the money. This campground has much potential but I think it needs new owners. They need to update the pool area, the playground, rec hall, and they should have an area where dogs can run off leash. Lord know they have enough space. This place would only be good for staying a night and to look at the few. Not good for a family vacation. We left a day early of course there are no refund her either. I will never be back and will never recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank kims811
Reviewed August 19, 2012

On arriving there was no friendly greeting by the manger doing the registration. Registration was expensive, and not up front, when arrived we had to pay for two additional adults even thought the pamphlet says that a maximum of 4 adults per site. They were very strict with lots of rules. The rec hall didn't look like it was used for a long time and was locked up. I noticed on there web site they advertise that they have lots of activities planned for the kids on weekends, I found it wasn't kid friendly at all. the buildings were run down, the the pool looked dirty and there was no chairs or even a bench inside the gate. They advertise clam digging but yet there is steep banks making it almost impossible to go down to the shore as there is no path or stairs to the shore. We had a another adult that wanted to join us for a night but were told only 4 adults to a site, so he had to get a tent and paid for a site just to join us. I think its ridiculous that a RV that sleeps 6 to 8 people that you owe yourself that people who owe the campground can tell you you are only allow 4 people in it and even at that after 2 people it costs more to stay. The view was nice but the sites were mostly gravel were we were.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank laura t
Reviewed August 9, 2012

The first week of July we were going to PEI and decided to take the Ferry over so we stopped to this resort on our way. I have to say we’ve been coming here for years about 4-5 campers of us and as far as I’m concern… they will not see me there again! Here is my experience there this year.

We got to the resort on a Wednesday afternoon and noticed that there were spots available for that night. We got the paper work ready, told them we had a baby girl but nothing about dogs because we knew it was Ok for the pets to go in the park. Well to our surprise, my husband was finishing the paper work and ready to pay when she asked do you have a dog? He said YES, and she wanted to know what breed… so he told her Part Sheppard/Lab and he didn’t even finish that she refused us because a lady got bit by a Sheppard the day before or something like that by a Sheppard. He wanted to explain that we come here every year and we never get judged by our dog… so that day they had changed the rules that there was no Sheppard on the grounds!! But she was determined that we were not staying there. My husband being all upset told her that she might have a Rapist, Child molester or Killer in their park and you don’t see them get discriminated, maybe everyone should be security cleared!! If she would’ve looked at our dog which he’s (part Sheppard/Lab & husky) he’s a white fur ball doesn’t look at all like a Sheppard. But she did NOT let us explain the bread of our dog. It’s so easy to discriminate a dog so imagine how easy it is to discriminate your child (too hyper, too loud, etc…). My dog is a big baby and if someone would approach him too fast or scare him, I’m not sure how he would react. IT’s a DOG… not because he has Sheppard in his blood that he will attack. I wonder if they would let an off duty Police officer and his dog (Sheppard) camp there?!?!

I’m just saying it’s not nice to discriminate people nor is it to do that to dogs or pets. Before the owner changed it was a super, beautiful and Friendly park but with the new owner and their bad attitude everything changed!

Before choosing to discriminate a dog…put a NO PETS ALLOWED sign.

Thank goodness there are more parks around that were ready to accomodate us!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank LM B
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Not kid friendly by the way the playground is inkept, not safe, coupled with rude owners that do not care about repeat business. We were promised a spot over the phone, told them the size of our camper and when we got there they gave us a different spot in a totally different section, saying ours could not fit in the spot/section we were sure we were promised as well as they would not let us in until we paid IN FULL before we saw our cheated spot and this is when we found out about our section change. We approached the owners, asked about a compromise of some sort and she smugly pointed at the no refund no credit sign and would not budge, now claiming she was the manager! Absolutely disgusting customer service, rude and mean to be honest! $560 for one night. They will hide behind their policies and grab every penny that hit's their property! Read their terms, watch out for Sandy (owner or manager, depends on the situation).

• Stayed: June 2012
9  Thank TraceyGrant1
Reviewed August 6, 2012

The only thing this place has going for it was the view ...The management here are not nice they are rude and heartless...There were five families travelling together all with children..We had to book for 3 nights for them to guarantee us a picnic table as well as firepit , They have way too many rules..Washrooms were not clean , At 1030 we were told to put our music off "" NOW '' which was not loud at all and it was the way she approached us DO IT ''now " turn it off ... NO HI SORRY COULD YOU PLEASE TURN IT OFF NOTHING JUST TURN IT OFF NOW """ also told to use our indoor voices that our voices could be heard throughout the campground however when going for a walk about could not hear a thing...or any others ..We were 5 families travelling to have a nice weekend with our children and a 3 night stay turned into 2 because of the way we were treated we all left a day early...We do not recommend this to anyone

Room Tip: View is great however ...Go elsewhere