“too much hype = disappointing; an above-average fish and chip joint”
Review of Mo's Cafe

Mo's Cafe
Cuisines: Canadian
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Drove an hour just to try Mo's this weekend, based on some of the hype on TripAdvisor and some general buzz around northern NS about the place. And there's a lot to like about it. Servers are friendly, place itself is quaint/pleasant/lovely/etc and in great shape, there's live music... Plain and simple, it's wonderful that someone has invested in revitalizing an old store in this little village, and probably helped breathe a lot of life into the village itself too. It feels wrong to say anything other than "well done" but the issue is... the food just wasn't very good. Or maybe more accurately, it definitely wasn't what I had been expecting.

It tasted like most things were fresh out of a box or a bottle or a bag. Except for the pizza (that wasn't bad but absolutely was nothing to rave about - nothing), most plates seemed to have something (or most things) right out of the deep fryer. I had a salad with my pizza - I asked if any of the dressings were house dressings (server didn't seem clear) or if any were made there (server didn't know) so I ordered balsamic vinaigrette (straight out of a kraft bottle). It's just not that hard to make a vinaigrette if you're running a restaurant where you care about good food. Everything about the place screams fresh and local - but the food wasn't. And it's really, really too bad.

If you go there expecting an above-average fish and chip joint with pizza and and couple of sandwiches, you may be thrilled. The kitchen seemed to be staffed by very capable short-order cooks. If (like me) you read the reviews here that are so positive, and walked into this very inviting place expecting fresh, local, etc after driving an hour just to go there, you risk being disappointed. I'll likely go back if i'm in the area: it's good for what it is - you just need to know what it is.

There are newer reviews for Mo's Cafe

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have been to MO's many times and I am never disappointed. I love the home made, delicious and healthy food, excellent service, atmosphere and overall experience. When I have people visit me, I take them to Mo's so that they too can experience what I have. I love the local art work, the friendly people...it is a MUST while visiting NS. A MUST.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

A nice change from the small canteen establishments that dominate this country route. The service was friendly and the food tasty. Prices were reasonable and the place was clean. We'll be back.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Arrived around 2 PM on Sunday with a party of 4 for lunch. Nice menu - ordered the bowl of seafood chowder & found it excellent. Crowning touch was the above mentioned dessert. Waitress was outstanding too. Highly recommended.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

There isn't much to Five Islands as far as businesses go - we counted 3 or 4 restaurants and a small grocery store. We passed Mo's on the way to spend the night in Parrsboro (about 15 miles west), and saw several cars parked outside. The next morning, one of the guests at the B&B where we stayed -- a Nova Scotia native -- raved about Mo's. Since our kids didn't get up in time for breakfast, we stopped at Mo's for an early lunch. Simply put, it was one of the best meals we had during our two weeks in Canada. I'm not much of a dessert guy, but these were REALLY good. The place is spacious and inviting, and the staff are friendly, helpful and humorous. They also run a hostel at the same location, so that's available if you need a place to stay.