“Of the many reasons to stay here, personal hospitality tops the list!!”

Moulin des Chennevieres
Ranked #4 of 14 Giverny B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We stayed here for a week long watercolor workshop of a dozen people in June 2014 and had a fabulous stay. We stayed in the Lilac Room, the most modest category of room and loved falling asleep to the sound of the water wheel in the mill race. Giverny and environs offers so much and the gardens are at peak color this time of year. My only wish was that I had done this trip at age 30 and been able to pack more in each day.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank loheed

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Travelled in September 2013 - just spectacular! The Daisy room (or Marguirette room) is just lovely with a huge window to the front which spills in wonderful, soft light. Keeping the windows open at the back of the room allows the gentle noise of water in the mill to provide a lovely lullaby at night. Beds are very comfy, and the room is very roomy! Good space in the shower, only little negative is the toilet does not allow much privacy in the room (screen for door only) - fortunately have access to a downstairs toilet as well if the need arises!. A great spot - very handy to Monets Gardens. Great breakfast. Loved having access to bicycles to ride through the country side and down to the unspoilt reaches of The Seine - loved it all! Thank you!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank beauy
Reviewed June 10, 2014

My husband and me were lucky enough in June of 2013 to get a room at Moulin des Chennevieres, travelling in France by motorbike. The old mill with its cosy rooms and beautiful garden, suitably located near the home and garden of Claude Monet, are an experience itself. Instead of visiting the village, we stayed at the inn and enjoyed a wonderful dinner prepared by our hosts and the company of other guests. The place has remained as one of the unforgettable memories from our trip.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tuija H
Reviewed May 22, 2014

En route south, we stopped for a night to break the journey and take in the Monet gardens early next morning to beat the crowds. Stephanie and her husband are the most welcoming hosts for a real Chambres d'Hôtes experience. The room was clean and comfortable in the eclectic house, surrounded by their mill garden complete with wallabies, ostrich and llama.
The highlight was the wonderful dinner, preceded by apéritifs (including masses of pre-dinner nibbles). All home made and cooked by the family, Stephanie's cheese tart was delicious, Gérard's open-fire roasted wildboar was epic, the cheese board was great and the older daughter's Poire Belle Lucy demonstrated that family tradition is continuing. All this was complemented by choice of wines and I was finished off by the calvados! Fantastic value.
The house is a very short walk to Monet's House and Gardens - we recommend it unreservedly.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tim W
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We can't recommend Le Moulin Des Chennevieres highly enough; except to say that after our stay with them in autumn of 2013, we knew we had found the perfect location for our business! We are bringing other artists to paint in Giverny and Monet's Gardens. It is important that the service, location, rooms and meals all be the best we can find for our artist guests. We are confident artists traveling with our "My Art Trip" will be as happy with the inn and host family as we were.
My husband and I were on our honeymoon and were delighted to have found Stephanie and Gerard's ancient flour mill, converted to this most welcoming bed and breakfast. We stayed 8 nights so I could paint in Monet's Gardens and surrounding villages. My groom enjoyed daily bike rides to Vernon, walking the gardens and surrounding areas, and reading in our spacious "Daisy" room.
We were amazed at the quantity and variety of food. Gathering in the spacious common area to visit with the other guests and our hosts over hors d'oeuvres, was just a prelude to a most enjoyable mealtime. Gerard's expertise in grilling in the open fireplace and Stephany and the girls' kitchen skills were wonderful. They were able to accommodate our dietary needs without problem.
They were also generous with area information. There was general helpfulness and abundant laughter which made us feel at home. And Stephany was so kind to not only "put up with" my beginning French, but to encourage and help me along.
We look forward to our next trip in June! C'est magnifique!
Sue Ann and Rick

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sue Ann and Ric... H
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Picture perfect. Charming room, excellent meals and warm and friendly service made this a dream come true. I was with a small group of artists with Art Colony Giverny. We were within a short walk to the village of Giverny and Monet's Garden and painted there and the surrounding countryside daily. Does life get any better?

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank bybluewater
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I don't know if it is because it is the end of the season...but we had a mildly unpleasant time here. The lovely hosts that other people speak of must have been on holiday when we stayed. I stayed with my husband, 6 year old daugther and our grown up son. And the overall impression was that we were a problem. We were not welcomed in the drive with hello, we were 'welcomed' with the fact that the hoovering was not yet finished. [This when the arrivals info says arrive after 3 and we arrived after 3] We were shown to our rooms, but later, while we were eating dinner in a restuarant in town the landlady came to tell us we had been given the wrong rooms by her and that my husband had told her we were only three. So the room movie was his fault [This was a lie, as I was in the room when he made the telephone booking]. The breakfast was made unpleasant by the landlady constantly asking us to put the jam and the milk back and wiping stains from around us as we tried to have our breakfast. [needless to say we are fully functioning adults and not messy people.] After breakfast we went into the grounds to admire the animals that the owners advertise on their site. On the way back into the house each of us in turn was stood over by the landlady and told to fully clean our shoes. I cleaned mine as best I could and was then told it was not good enough. I felt like a school girl at school. Surely part of the fee we pay at a guesthouse is to behave like a guest...I was not walking in shovelfulls of mud and if I had been asked nicely would have gladly taken off my shoes. But this was done with disdain.
None of these things by themselves carried out with a smile or good humour is that bad, but this was done with an attitude that we were being done a huge favour by our hosts. The house is indeed lovely, the grounds are great, but the hosts feel like they are doing this job against their will and the pesky guests are ruining it all by living and breathing. I've stayed in many places and had such great times...this was not one of them.

Room Tip: In the Daisy room in which we stayed the toilet was only hidden from the full view of the room by a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank CecilyBoomtrinket
stephguil, Propriétaire at Moulin des Chennevieres, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

I were sure to have a comment like this from you. The lovely hosts were not on Holiday during your stay and have done what they have to do to give you a nice stay . When nothing is going well nothing is good...
I always say hello when people arrive and I did it to all of you at your arrival but you probably don't hear. Why sould I have not said hello ? I even ask you which langage who wanted to speak as you where talking in inglish together. And in a good french the oldest man with you answer with a smile in French as the 6 years old girl was speaking fluently french and also you and him.
At your arrival I have told you that the hoovering was not finish in the dining room as the hoover was in the middle of the way and I were embarrased about that , Is it a way of not welcomed ? I take you to the rooms as all the rooms where ready at 3 pm. I even showed you the room to make you some tea and coffee where you were please to come five minutes after your arrival.
About the wrong room, I am sure you are a perfect laddie and that you never make mistake, I came to see you at the restaurant (I couldn't do it before as you didn't come back during the day) that I had write a booking for 3 people from the phone call and as I had an other booking the same evening (last saturday on october the 26th ) with 4 people I didn't look on my dairy. That is my mistake, I don't think it is a lie. The booking from your husband on the phone as been made in Inglish, if you had made it yourself you could have done it in french as you speak fluently french to avoid any mistake about the number of people. All that to conclure that you have stayed in the room you ask for on your booking.
At breakfast I never ask you to put the jam and the milk back on the table where everybody help themselves, I ask you nicely and only one time if you wanted some more and if I could take it as the other guest were arriving at breakfast. I think that everybody can have the choice of jam and have some milk, if you keep the jam and the milk in front of you, how the other guest can have some. The only time I wipe around you was after I take the milk when I have seen the milk you have spill on the wood table, I think it is normal to do that.
About the grounds, after and during the rain at this saison it is impossible to have clean shoes when you walk on it and for you it is normal to go upstairs (where it is a carpet of staircase) with shoes full of mud and grass, do you do that in your home ? Do you think it is normal that I had to ask you to clean them (and I said please) when I saw you coming Inside and open the door of the stairs. Normal people will have take them of buy themselves like your husband and your daughter did. I didn't have to say nothing to them. Do you think it is normal that the other guest who take off their shoes have to walk on stairs and floor full of mud and grass ? Because you went upstairs with your shoes like this. Do you think it is to behave like a guest ?
We love to rent a bed and breakfast when we have smiling people who enjoy to share the house and stay in a guest house.