“We'll be staying once or twice a year!”

Moulin des Chennevieres
Ranked #4 of 14 Giverny B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We can't recommend Le Moulin Des Chennevieres highly enough; except to say that after our stay with them in autumn of 2013, we knew we had found the perfect location for our business! We are bringing other artists to paint in Giverny and Monet's Gardens. It is important that the service, location, rooms and meals all be the best we can find for our artist guests. We are confident artists traveling with our "My Art Trip" will be as happy with the inn and host family as we were.
My husband and I were on our honeymoon and were delighted to have found Stephanie and Gerard's ancient flour mill, converted to this most welcoming bed and breakfast. We stayed 8 nights so I could paint in Monet's Gardens and surrounding villages. My groom enjoyed daily bike rides to Vernon, walking the gardens and surrounding areas, and reading in our spacious "Daisy" room.
We were amazed at the quantity and variety of food. Gathering in the spacious common area to visit with the other guests and our hosts over hors d'oeuvres, was just a prelude to a most enjoyable mealtime. Gerard's expertise in grilling in the open fireplace and Stephany and the girls' kitchen skills were wonderful. They were able to accommodate our dietary needs without problem.
They were also generous with area information. There was general helpfulness and abundant laughter which made us feel at home. And Stephany was so kind to not only "put up with" my beginning French, but to encourage and help me along.
We look forward to our next trip in June! C'est magnifique!
Sue Ann and Rick

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sue Ann and Ric... H

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Picture perfect. Charming room, excellent meals and warm and friendly service made this a dream come true. I was with a small group of artists with Art Colony Giverny. We were within a short walk to the village of Giverny and Monet's Garden and painted there and the surrounding countryside daily. Does life get any better?

2  Thank bybluewater
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I don't know if it is because it is the end of the season...but we had a mildly unpleasant time here. The lovely hosts that other people speak of must have been on holiday when we stayed. I stayed with my husband, 6 year old daugther and our grown up son. And the overall impression was that we were a problem. We were not welcomed in the drive with hello, we were 'welcomed' with the fact that the hoovering was not yet finished. [This when the arrivals info says arrive after 3 and we arrived after 3] We were shown to our rooms, but later, while we were eating dinner in a restuarant in town the landlady came to tell us we had been given the wrong rooms by her and that my husband had told her we were only three. So the room movie was his fault [This was a lie, as I was in the room when he made the telephone booking]. The breakfast was made unpleasant by the landlady constantly asking us to put the jam and the milk back and wiping stains from around us as we tried to have our breakfast. [needless to say we are fully functioning adults and not messy people.] After breakfast we went into the grounds to admire the animals that the owners advertise on their site. On the way back into the house each of us in turn was stood over by the landlady and told to fully clean our shoes. I cleaned mine as best I could and was then told it was not good enough. I felt like a school girl at school. Surely part of the fee we pay at a guesthouse is to behave like a guest...I was not walking in shovelfulls of mud and if I had been asked nicely would have gladly taken off my shoes. But this was done with disdain.
None of these things by themselves carried out with a smile or good humour is that bad, but this was done with an attitude that we were being done a huge favour by our hosts. The house is indeed lovely, the grounds are great, but the hosts feel like they are doing this job against their will and the pesky guests are ruining it all by living and breathing. I've stayed in many places and had such great times...this was not one of them.

Room Tip: In the Daisy room in which we stayed the toilet was only hidden from the full view of the room by a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank CecilyBoomtrinket
stephguil, Propriétaire at Moulin des Chennevieres, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

I were sure to have a comment like this from you. The lovely hosts were not on Holiday during your stay and have done what they have to do to give you a nice stay . When nothing is going well nothing is good...
I always say hello when people arrive and I did it to all of you at your arrival but you probably don't hear. Why sould I have not said hello ? I even ask you which langage who wanted to speak as you where talking in inglish together. And in a good french the oldest man with you answer with a smile in French as the 6 years old girl was speaking fluently french and also you and him.
At your arrival I have told you that the hoovering was not finish in the dining room as the hoover was in the middle of the way and I were embarrased about that , Is it a way of not welcomed ? I take you to the rooms as all the rooms where ready at 3 pm. I even showed you the room to make you some tea and coffee where you were please to come five minutes after your arrival.
About the wrong room, I am sure you are a perfect laddie and that you never make mistake, I came to see you at the restaurant (I couldn't do it before as you didn't come back during the day) that I had write a booking for 3 people from the phone call and as I had an other booking the same evening (last saturday on october the 26th ) with 4 people I didn't look on my dairy. That is my mistake, I don't think it is a lie. The booking from your husband on the phone as been made in Inglish, if you had made it yourself you could have done it in french as you speak fluently french to avoid any mistake about the number of people. All that to conclure that you have stayed in the room you ask for on your booking.
At breakfast I never ask you to put the jam and the milk back on the table where everybody help themselves, I ask you nicely and only one time if you wanted some more and if I could take it as the other guest were arriving at breakfast. I think that everybody can have the choice of jam and have some milk, if you keep the jam and the milk in front of you, how the other guest can have some. The only time I wipe around you was after I take the milk when I have seen the milk you have spill on the wood table, I think it is normal to do that.
About the grounds, after and during the rain at this saison it is impossible to have clean shoes when you walk on it and for you it is normal to go upstairs (where it is a carpet of staircase) with shoes full of mud and grass, do you do that in your home ? Do you think it is normal that I had to ask you to clean them (and I said please) when I saw you coming Inside and open the door of the stairs. Normal people will have take them of buy themselves like your husband and your daughter did. I didn't have to say nothing to them. Do you think it is normal that the other guest who take off their shoes have to walk on stairs and floor full of mud and grass ? Because you went upstairs with your shoes like this. Do you think it is to behave like a guest ?
We love to rent a bed and breakfast when we have smiling people who enjoy to share the house and stay in a guest house.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stephanie and Gerard were wonderful hosts, attending to our needs and requests in every way.
We did not arrange dinner with them, another couple did and they raved about their great meal......cooked over a grill placed in the fireplace! They have a beautiful property that's filled with many interesting antiques.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Horace P
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed here for two nights. The location was excellent you could walk to Monet,s Garden.
The room was lovely and cosy and overlooked the garden and animals. The hosts Stephanie and Gerard were very friendly and accommodating. The first night we dined at the Mill with the family and other guests. It started with an aperitif around the lovely log fire where we met other guests then we all dined at the very long wooden table. A lovely traditional meal was served by Stephanie.
The next day we borrowed the bikes at the mill and rode around Giverny and then on the dedicated bike track the 4km to Vernon. On our second night we dined in Giverny at the Hotel Baudy where the impressionists used to gather. We had an excellent meal there. My husband and I enjoyed our stay at the Mill and would not hesitate to recommend it and would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nichola m
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My friend and I stayed for two nights at this delightful B&B for the purpose of visiting Monet's garden last month. We found the hosts most welcoming and kind who inviited us to join them and their other guests for an apertif on our arrival in the evening and even gave us a ride in their own car to the local resturant we had booked for dinner because by then it was dark and raining. Our suite of rooms were joined by an attractive small balony set with a table and chairs over looking the grounds, gardens and grazing animals. The rooms were immaculate, comfortable and cosy and the breakfast ample and delicous included warm pain au chocolate and plenty of fresh coffee. After a wonderful day visiting the famous garden and exploring the village of Giverny we were able to enjoy the treat of having our evening meal cooked for us over the magnificent open fire whilst we sipped apertifs and shared hot hor d'ovres with fellow guests. We are already hoping to make a return visit in the spring.

4  Thank Brenda H
Reviewed October 6, 2013

A wonderful warm welcome not only from the huge log fire burning in the impressive inglenook, but also from hosts Stephanie and Gerard who, before we had even removed our coats, invited us to join them with an aperitif before dinner even though we weren't actually booked in for a meal that evening. We had actually booked a table at The Baudy Restaurant in the village and Stephanie very kindly drove us there. However, the following evening we had a superb dinner at the B&B which I would highly recommend. My friend and I had the Sunflower/Buttercup Suite. The rooms were very clean and comfortable and beautifully furnished and the bathroom was luxurious and every attention to detail was perfect. The Moulin is ideally situated within a short walk of Monet's garden and all the other facilities that the pretty village has to offer. I really cannot fault anything and am so pleased to have found this little gem. Am looking forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: Sunflower/Buttercup Suite on the first floor has an adjoining balcony with table and chairs
3  Thank anne p