“Do stay at Le Moulin!”

and 1 more site!
Moulin des Chennevieres
Ranked #4 of 14 Giverny B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Le Moulin des Chennevieres was recommended in a guide book and because of its close proximity to Claude Monet's house and garden (2 minutes walk) we booked for two nights on the 28 and 29 April 2013. We had a lovely room overlooking the weir/river with a balcony. The room was very clean. Stephanie, Gerard and their two daughters welcomed us very warmly. We had booked dinner on our first night and Stephanie did us proud! Delicious food and wine with some gorgeous macaroons made by their eldest daughter. In fact it was so good we asked if Stephanie could cook for us the next night which she did and again it was excellent! It felt as if we had stayed longer than just two nights so comfortable did we feel there. Stephanie and Gerard work very hard to make Le Moulin a destination B&B so please stay there!

Room Tip: All of the rooms looked very comfortable, clean and spacious.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen M
There are newer reviews for Moulin des Chennevieres

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Recommended by local tourist office, stayed 13.5.2013 after travelling to Paris for a weekend by cycle. Owners gave a very warm welcome in this traditional mill/farm house..
Room spotless as was bathroom which had an enormous bath.
Outstanding position and very easy to walk to Claude Monet's gardens and house.
Recommended restaurant Baudy for excellent supper with all it history as well.

Breakfast was too much to eat with very wide selection of breads, cerials, fruit and home made preserves. Have used many establishments across France, this is one of the most remarkable for what I require.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank saxcycle
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Moulin des Chennevieres-our lucky find!
Moulin des Chennieres was a great `find` as we had not booked and called on `spec` on seeing their `chambres d`hotes` board outside their historic property! Stephanie kindly showed us available rooms in this beautiful restored mill house which is also a lovely family home. All rooms were well appointed and very reasonably priced. We chose the `middle range` room which was on the top of the mill house with a nice view. It was ideal for us. The room had its own separate bathroom and we had the floor to ourselves.

This lovely property is set in picturesque and well kept grounds, has the same stream from nearby Monet`s garden passing through it`s own gardens too.

There are very unusual very well looked after family pets in the spacious grounds. .

We received a very warm welcome from Stephanie and Gerard and their daughters. They are a lovely Giverny family. Gerard`s brother has an interesting Museum of a wonderful collection family owned stationary engines which is located very close to Monet`s house. (Definitely worth a visit too!)

On our second day we enjoyed a lovely social evening and drinking with other guests of other nationalities and a tasty meal from Stephanie`s kitchen. All very delicious and extremely reasonably priced too.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this lovely mill house. It is very interesting, relaxing, pretty and peaceful. It was clean and comfortable, and we enjoyed lovely breakfasts with homemade jams and great hospitality.

We definitely recommend Moulin des Chennevieres, although we almost feel that we should keep it a well kept secret!
Janette and John Horton

Room Tip: The rooms are very adaptable for families as well as couples. There is a another room with a fridg...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janette H
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I came for a weekend with my eldery parents from Paris. I was not greeted but felt like an inconvenience by the owner. Its a woman who is very angry and unpleasant who constantly barks orders at her husband. We arrived at 2pm and was unable to see our room until exactly at 3pm. It seems as if our room was ready but we they are very strict on exact check in. She also scolded us to be extra quiet that it is a bed and breakfast, not a hotel. We are not excessively noisy, or loud people at all. They had little children, 3 girls running around being noisy along with the creaky sounding house. The owners are extremely rude and unaccommodating. The rooms are very outdated and the linens looked unclear. STAY ELSEWHERE. I would suggest on rue claude monet. The place was 100 EUR, but you can find a better value somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank UsaTravel318
stephguil, Propriétaire at Moulin des Chennevieres, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Dear Miss TCHOI
Besides being dishonest, you lie. Your stay was not in April with your eldery parents but on Saturday the 11th with your mother who is still young. You forgot to specify on the comment that in spite of my horrible service I had organized you a taxi for the Sunday morning at 7.30am as you ask me for and that you left at about 6.45am on foot to the train station in Vernon (5 kilometers) without paying the room and without cancelling the taxi and that we caught you up in Vernon before you took the train to Paris. You didn’t even take time to have your breakfast, too hurry. Your other comments about the Dauphine Hôtel in Paris allowed me to have confirmation that those comments were yours. I got the owner on the phone who remember you and your mother very well.
You arrived at the end of morning at about 11:30am and not at 2 pm and the room was not ready. I took care of your small bags (easier to leave discreetly), take you to the bathroom and gave you a plan of the village to go eating and visiting Claude Monet's gardens and all this in English.
In your return in the afternoon (at about 4:00 pm) I took you to your room and you were enchanted. You immediately asked me for bikes that we provided you with my husband and myself because you ask to adjust you saddles. You left for the market in Vernon and returned only in the evening to lock you into your room at the 3rd floor.
How and at which moment 3 children would have been able to be noisy especially that I have only two girls 10 and 11-year-old and one of her was not there. No customer had children. And even how you would be able to hear children on the ground floor from the 3rd floor.
Your horrible note for the cleanliness is estimated after you have eaten in the evening in the room what you had bought at the market in the afternoon.
And to finish the rent of the room wasn’t 100 euros but 85 euros that you paid me when we caught you up in Vernon and called the Police.
We made everything to give you a pleasant weekend with your mother but it had not been advisable that the overnight stay was free.
Last thing why to lie on the date of your stay and the number of persons as you did ? Certainly to make us not able to answer to those false charges and explain which kind of ladies you are.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We are already recommending this chambre d'hote to all our friends - simply superb location, accomodation, food and hospitality of the owners. Three blissful days. Can be visited as a stop over on your journey or as a short holiday stay in it's own right if you want to explore this region. Thank you Stephanie & Gerard

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at Moulin des Chennevieres where Stephanie and Gerard were both welcoming and gracious hosts. You can easily walk around Giverny from the Moulin and after spending the day just slowly ambulating around the historic and picturesque village I arrived back early evening to warming fires and the aroma of a traditional french beef bourguignon slowly simmering in the kitchen. We also enjoyed a traditional charcuterie plate with home made saucisson to start our meal and finished with a selection of fine french cheeses. This was all matched with some incredible french wines. And towards the end of the evening some enjoyable sharing of music,singing and stories. You make life long friendships here. This was a delectable way to end a most memorable day. The rooms are all clean and comfortable. The gardens an extension of Monet's, a joy within which to wander and which included a babbling brook feeding into the ancient mill. As an Aussie who has lived abroad for 9 years I was also delighted to see some smaller two legged marsupial Aussies hopping around the garden. This is a delightful place to stay. French hospitality at its best. I have stayed in many a country at many a B&B and this is one of the best.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank chriskate1813
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I chose this B&B because I knew my husband would enjoy the ambience and the animals and I was right! He was delighted with the wallabies and the other animals on the grounds and the patio/balcony outside our room was a bonus. The mill itself makes for a unique B&B and we loved the decor and ambience. We stayed in the Sunflower room, which was beautifully decorated. The bath is across the hall and is shared with another room if that room is booked, but this was no problem for us. We kept the window open so we could hear the water wheel below and it lulled us to sleep. We were a little worried when we saw that there was an outdoor concert going on nearby, but we didn't hear a thing. I think the water wheel helped mask the noise. The bed was comfortable and both the room and bath were spotless. Breakfast the following morning was more than bountiful with croissants and bread and eggs and yogurt. The host and hostess were very helpful in recommending places to eat in Giverny and in giving us tips on the best times to see the sights so as to avoid crowds. Stephanie was also very kind in listening to my attempts to speak in my very poor French. My husband says it was one of his favorite places that we stayed in on this trip and I agree!

Room Tip: The Sunflower room is light and airy and has an outdoor seating area that overlooks the animals. You...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MixNixon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Giverny
La Musardiere
#6 of 14 in Giverny
Le Coin des Artistes
Le Coin des Artistes
#10 of 14 in Giverny

Been to Moulin des Chennevieres? Share your experiences!