“Great Atmosphere, Good Solid Food”
Review of Restaurant Baudy

Restaurant Baudy
Ranked #2 of 17 Restaurants in Giverny
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine
Winslow, United Kingdom
“Great Atmosphere, Good Solid Food”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

The restaurant is staffed by a young team who are quick and efficient. We booked for 8pm and were glad we had, as it was very busy. The decor is in keeping with the style of the building, i.e. shabby chic but very clean and comfortable, though the portable gas fire was a little strong if you were unlucky enough to be sat next to it (we weren't). To start I had the 'house' dish of Camembert pancake, served in a deep dish. This was very filling, and tasty. For my main I had the ballantine de vollailes, which was excellent, two large cuts from the roll, a delicious sauce and generous slice of dauphinoise potatos. My desert was the Ile Flottante, another generous serving in a large deep desert glass. Worth noting that the toilets are outside across the yard, accessible through the middle door in the main seating area, and worth a visit to look into thw artists 'shack' and rose garden.

• Visited May 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Manhattan Beach, California
“Great restaurant in a perfect location”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We had dinner in this great, historic building last night. The food was delicious and the portions were quite generous. We had the walnut salad, chicken, salmon, and apple crumble. All of our items tasted very fresh and were served quickly, even though the restaurant was quite busy. You definitely need a reservation for this restaurant. We went as soon as they opened on a weeknight in the late Spring and had to sit in the bar (which was still very nice) because they were full the entire evening. The staff at the restaurant were very friendly and helpful. We asked one of the waiters a question about the community that he couldn't answer. He spotted the mayor passing by outside and he ran out to him to get our question answered! Afterwards we took a walk through the lovely gardens and artist studio in back of the restaurant, which were beautiful. We would definitely return to this restaurant.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Twila E
Manhattan Beach, CA
“Monet Experience”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

This setting in the small village of Giverny is where Monet and several other painters of the period hung out, ate, rented rooms, and argued with each other about who was the best painter. The menu was limited but delicious. I had a fixed menu which included salmon. My wife had chicken. Both were delicious. If you are there on a weekend make a reservation. The restaurant was a little pricey. Parking is adjacent to the restaurant. Be sure to visit the gardens in the rear of the restaurant before or after your meal. Very few people visit those beautiful gardens and it is FREE.

West Sussex
“Oven frites”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

This restaurant has a very interesting history and so worth visiting just to read about that and to see the artists' studio. The service was friendly but the food was not that great .I am certain the frites were oven frites - bland and dry tasting. I never thought I would experience that in a French restaurant.

London, United Kingdom
“Average food and not so friendly waiter”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

The food in this restaurant is equivalent to a pub meal. I ordered steak and fries and was not asked how I wanted my steak cooked. It was rare and luckily this is how I like my steak but unfortunately was a tough piece of meat lacking in flavour. The "salad" that came with the meal was a meagre bunch of green leaves dressed in olive oil and balsamic. Thankfully the fries were decent! My grumble about my experience and which lost this restaurant another star was the obnoxious waiter I had. The entire menu is in French with no English translation, which I found astonishing since it is a touristy spot. I wanted one of the meals to be translated and I asked the waiter if he spoke English, to which he bluntly replied NO and made no excuses or even try. If he didn't know English then how did he know what I was asking in English? I believed he did and couldn't be bothered. I wouldn't come here for the food or service as there are other much better restaurants in Giverny.