“Kitchenette so Convenient”

La Closerie Deauville Residence Hotel
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Deauville
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Stayed here on a business trip in the winter. Love that you can have control of your heat in the winter. There is a super cute balcony that would be lovely in the summer I imagine. The room is clean, efficient and a bit larger than most european hotel rooms. The breakfast is fine but nothing special at all. Bed is comfy for a Euro hotel although there is a big crack in the middle because of course it is two beds pushed together. The thing that really disappointed me was that there is a pool but NO GYM. When I business travel a gym is very important to me. But what it lack in gym it makes up for with the kitchenette. It saved me tons to hit the grocery store and make some food rather than eating out every meal. I Do agree though that the walls are very thin. I could hear everything. But somehow it wasn't as bad as I thought, I think people were being considerate of each other.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony for sure.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 4projectmayhem

Reviewed October 14, 2011

We were very much looking forward to our Deauville experience in a 4 star hotel; we were equally disappointed. The location was fantastic, being 5 minutes' walk from the Casino, the famous boutiques, the Hippodrome. The reception staff was friendly. Getting out the lift was the start of our great disappointment: long empty corridors with striped plastic covered floor, a balcony bedroom which was cramped, a loo which was behind 2 doors which made the trip at night resemble an assault course. What disappointed us the most was the dirt on the floor. The once upon a time beautiful red tiles were dark grey at places; the moist tissue paper test I did in the loo was conclusive: it was just filthy.
The breakfast at 15 euros per person was of very poor quality: tasteless and chewy bread and small croissants, very limited choice. Madeleines in cellophane, Babybel and Port Salut in plastic wrappers, wet pieces of ham are not what one would expect from such a hotel.
We are retired professionals, used to a certain standing. This not a 4 star hotel and the pictures on Internet are far too flattering.

Room Tip: Not applicable
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Albatros747
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Stayed here for one night after being unable to locate another hotel in town. While the lobby and pool area looked appealing, watch out for the rooms. Despite this being a no smoking hotel, our room reeked of cigarettes and even worse was that the towels did too. We had quite a few mosquitoes as well. They charge $10 Euros for parking which is really unnecessary given all the street parking. This is really a 2star hotel in my opinion and the worst value throughout our 6 week stay in France.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2011

We weren't sure what to expect when we arrived at La Closerie -- the reviews of this hotel are very mixed and some of them are quite bad, so we were pleasantly surprised and overall very pleased with our stay. I think the reason for the mixed reviews is at least two-fold: the categorization of the hotel as 4-stars and the online pictures, both of which are a bit misleading. At least by American standards, this is not a 4-star hotel; It is 3-stars, and most similar to extended-stay hotels that would have a small kitchenette in the room. The rooms are functional, clean and mostly comfortable, but there is nothing plush about them. Everything is a bit shabbier, mismatched and less shiny than it looks in the pictures. Stil, the staff was pleasant and efficient, the grounds were nicely kept, and there is an indoor swimming pool which our kids loved, especially because we ran into some rainy weather. Another plus was the large, 2-bedroom units which allowed families to stay together -- adjoining rooms for families with small children being hard to come by in some of the other hotels in the city if they are available at all. The hotel is located in walking distance of the train Deauville-Trouville train station, and is even closer to "downtown" Deauville, which is chock-a-block with cafes and shops that include Hermes, Printemps, Lancel, Longchamp, etc. There is a small dining room which served a continental breakfast for 10 Euros, but I can't comment on it, as we never tried it, preferring to walk into town in the mornings for cafe and croissants. There is also a Carrefours market in town where we were able to get everything to have meals in the room if we wanted, including wine, which was a nice break from the high prices, especially in Paris. If you are looking for a deluxe hotel in Deauville, then you should stay at the Royal Barriere or Normandy Barriere, which were beautiful. However, for about the price of one room at those hotels, we were able to get three rooms at La Closerie and our accomodations did not detract from our stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank kkbrown
Reviewed July 22, 2011

For a family looking for a great location and room to spread out, this hotel was perfect. We were able to eat some of our meals in the hotel, which is great when traveling with a large family. The rooms were clean, if not luxurious, the staff was friendly, and the location couldn't be beat. Ten minutes walk to the Deauville/Trouville train station, and just few blocks from great shopping and recreation. If you're looking for luxury accomodations in this beautiful beach town, go for the Normandy Barriere or Royal Barriere, but if a great value for your money is what you want, La Closerie won't disappoint.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank FancyNancy714
Reviewed July 3, 2011

As a hotel owner I chose this location on the recomendation of a friend and I wish I hadnt

I called and booked a special stay for two friends, paid in advance and made very sure they knew this was a gift and to send me a copy of the (paid) bill.

Not only did they hand a copy of the bill (what a nice gift/surprise) to my invitees when I called and mentioned that I was really disapointed they really didnt care at all.

I spoke to the front desk and to a senior manager a total of five times to book this special occasion. I am shocked with their uncaring service, courtesy to guests & finesse. Book elsewhere there are nicer locations with more professional staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We only spent 2 nights and had it been longer I would have moved to another hotel.
The room was very dingy. (We had a small apartment). Stains all over the walls and couch. Dirty floors. Dead and alive mosquitos everywhere (at least 20 of them). Not a very comfortable room to hang out in. Won't go back.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family