“Quality accommodation at a high price with average food & service”

Hotel Barriere L'Hotel du Golf Deauville
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Deauville
Reviewed June 15, 2014

The hotel is an impressive sight, externally and internally. The lobby is spacious and tasteful, as was our superior room overlooking the golf course and the sea / Le Harve beyond.
Check in was smooth and we eagerly awaited dinner which was included in our package for one of our two nights. There is a language barrier in the restaurant and there was a degree of awkwardness as we declined the lobster themed menu which was the only menu on the table. The fixed and a la carte menus were produced, minus prices on either mine or my friend's menu (pretentious!) so we chose from the limited fixed menu of 4 starters and 4 mains. We were also asked for our dessert choice at the time of ordering which is unusual. The food was variable in terms of taste, imagination and presentation. The cheese chariot consisted of 4 cheese options, all local which was way inferior to any cheese chariot I have had in similar establishments. The meal was very good in parts, disappointing in parts.
Breakfast was an impressive spread but there were no gluten free bakery items and the hot section was luke warm at best. I requested gluten free bread and it arrived 15 minutes later. It was the best gluten free bread I have ever tasted but it would have been nice to have had it as standard and not had to request and then wait for it to be warmed up.
We were on a relaxing holiday so wifi was not top of our agenda but after 24hrs, I wanted to use it and had to phone reception who advised I needed a code which took a while to be delivered to the room which then didn't work..... so I gave up. It's not how wifi should work in such a hotel.
Our two biggest gripes were on the first afternoon, having indulged in some of the renowned liquid produce of the area and after a long drive, we wanted a snooze before dinner. There is no aircon so the only means of fresh air is to have the windows open. Immediately below us on the lawn was 15-20 thesbian types who were chanting, singing, clapping, cheering and generally making a lot of repetitive noise from 5pm to 7pm continuously. I phoned reception after an hour or so to enquire what was going on and when was it likely to stop. I was met with 'i don't know and unfortunately they are guests of the hotel so..........' It was an unacceptable level and length of noise but the hotel reception were loathe to do anything about it as these people were staying in the hotel. The second gripe where service fell short of acceptable was when on the 2nd morning, our loo roll wasn't replenished. We requested more supplies when we got back in the afternoon and were told it would be brought straight up. 10 minutes later, the request was made again. 20 minutes after that, a personal visit was made to reception. Soon after that, loo roll arrived.
Some of the staff were delightful; the young waiters in the restaurant were attentive and engaging. The bar manager had exceptional attention to detail and was impressive with his professionalism. They were the exceptions. Other staff fell short on service and attitude and did not give the hotel the level of care it deserved.
The decor and quality facilities have raised this review to 'very good', the attitude of most of the staff and the disappointing food would have scored it an 'average' and an over priced one at that.
My friend and I were not there for the golf, we were using it as a base for touring. A taxi to the town was 20E which was steep but Deauville is an expensive place so prepare for everything being higher than other places in northern France.

Room Tip: Sea view room across the golf course but not 215 as it seems to be the one parties congregate beneat...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank NottsGirlsontour
Jacques_Horrent, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere L'Hotel du Golf Deauville, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2014

Dear NottsGirl,
Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stays with us.
I was truly disappointed to learn that we feel short in exceeding your expectations in so many regards and I would like to extend my most heartfelt apologies for the inconveniences we caused to you.
Rest assured that your experience is not in keeping with the service levels we pride ourselves on.

Please feel free to call me directly at Hotel du Golf Barriere for your next visit as we would love the opportunity to restore your faith and trust in us.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Barriere L'Hotel du Golf Deauville

Reviewed June 8, 2014

This is our second visit and it's gotten better. They have spent big and modernised the hotel. New carpets decor and touch card doors. The only downside it the rooms is no air conditioning so we slept with window open. Could get stuffy in summer. For France the breakfast is good! Don't expect British quality buffet and no toaster! Not sure how they justify room tariff of 400 euros a night! We booked with Brittany Ferries and had 1 nights hotel, 2 rounds of golf and cabins each way on ferry £300 each. Always try to get a deal. This said I'd be very happy to make it 3rd year running.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ChrisThompson30
Jacques_Horrent, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere L'Hotel du Golf Deauville, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2014

Dear Chris Thom...,
I'm glad to read that you enjoyed the refurbishment of the hotel and that we will certainly welcome you again for a third golf stay in Deauville.
I am sure that you will find again a nice deal with one of our tour operator partners...

Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel. Rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. In quiet area, isolated but not far from town ...About 10 minute drive. It's a pricey place but if you have the money might as well spend it here. Restaurants and bars located on site and friendly staff.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear YankeeBoy...,
I'd like to thank you for your nice comment about our staff. I will transmit them your message.
I hope we will see you again in Deauville.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I have just returned from 4 days of golf with a friends and colleagues. The hotel has just been refurbished and to an exceptional standard. The hotel has a country club feel yet just a few minutes from Deauville. The rooms are spacious, excellent decor and soft furnishings and there has been no expense spared on the bathrooms. The restaurant food is also exceptional. The table d'hote menue is supurb, I would say michelin standard. Drink prices are very high but that applies everywhere in France. The service at reception, at the bar and in the restaurant are all top notch, imaculately presented and service with a smile. I would definately stay at this hotel again very soon. Loved every minute

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Dear lesw123,
Thank you for your nice comments on TripAdvisor.
It's a pleasure to read that enjoyed your stay and especially the restaurant and the service in general.
Looking forward to welcome you again in Deauville.
SIncerely,

Reviewed May 17, 2014

We arrived and was told that the hotel was newly renervated. Model lobby and staff were very friendly and helpful. We just stay for one night be enjoyed it very much. It is situated on the hilltop of the small town. Room is a bit out dated but the golf course is very peaceful and pretty! We decided to have breakfast at the hotel 22euro per person, go early and get the best seat by the window. Breakfast was great with lot of fresh fruits, cheese among with hot food. We requested some help from the concerige service prior to breakfast and Michel was very professional and helpful. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel. Internet is free but slow, they could improve it this. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Jacques_Horrent, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere L'Hotel du Golf Deauville, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor.
It's a pleasure to read that enjoyed your stay and especially our breakfast and also the concierge service.
Looking forward to welcome you again in Deauville.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

Well what to sat " oh my god" if I had not been there many many times before I would have thought I had walked into the wrong hotel. Its all new with carpets paint doors, inside and out.
They must have spent many euros and are still spending with builders still all over the place though you would not notice.
Staff are still the best I have come across. and maybe the most important point for a golfer is the 27 holes around the hotel are in superb condition.
See you in September.

Room Tip: if your using the hotel as a base for golf any of their rooms would do, there is plenty of space to...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Pete248
Jacques_Horrent, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere L'Hotel du Golf Deauville, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2014

Dear Pete248,
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the 'new" hotel du Golf Barrière.
Thank you for your comment about the quality of our staff.
It will be a pleasure to welcome you again in september in Deauville.
Sincerely yours,

Reviewed April 22, 2014

We were among the first guests post refurbishment and the paint smell was still evident in the bedroom. However, not a major inconvenience and I think the staff were going out of their way to make our stay an enjoyable one.

We were given a 30% discount card for drinks in the clubhouse and hotel bar and thanks to Philippe for introducing us to his prize-winning "Petit Carayou" cocktail - a lovely concoction. Very pleasant all round and a beautiful golf course at your doorstep.

Another hotel to be hopefully visited again. Au revoir.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GreenMuggers
Jacques H, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere L'Hotel du Golf Deauville, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Dear GreenMugg,
I am pleased to read your comment about your recent golf stay in Deauville.
I will pass on your thanks to Philippe for his "Petit Carayou" Cocktail...
It will be a pleasure for us to welcome you again in the future.
Sincerely yours,

Jacques Horrent

Also consider these accommodations in or near Deauville
Hotel Barriere Le Normandy Deauville
Les Manoirs de Tourgeville
Les Manoirs de Tourgeville
#1 of 1 in Tourgeville
Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville
Cures Marines Trouville Hotel Thalasso & Spa
Cures Marines Trouville Hotel Th...
#2 of 15 in Trouville-sur-Mer
Augeval Hotel
Augeval Hotel
#4 of 28 in Deauville
Ibis Deauville Centre
Ibis Deauville Centre
#9 of 28 in Deauville

Been to Hotel Barriere L'Hotel du Golf Deauville? Share your experiences!