We stayed for three nights at the Royal Barriere and would thoroughly recommend it. The hotel is around 10 minutes walk from the centre of Deauville; overlooking the beach, it has a prime location. We particularly liked:
1. Absolutely fantastic selection of food at breakfast. We especially enjoyed the pancakes with individual jars of maple syrup, but there was a huge range to choose from.
2. You can have an hour's free tennis per day and also a free round of crazy golf (both located between the hotel and the beach).
3. We had a nice meal one evening in the bar (although didn't try the restaurant for dinner).
4. Only a few minutes from the main casino in Deauville, and you get a free drink in the Casino if you are staying at the hotel (obviously offered to get you gambling...).
5. The (outdoor) swimming pool was heated to a good temperature on the sunny days (i.e. when most would want to use it to relax in).
6. Valet parking was quick and easy.
We were less keen on:
1. Our room was a bit hot (the weather was very humid whilst we were there) and not air conditioned. We had to ask for a portable fan.
2. There was only one full-length mirror in the bedroom, and this was in a wardrobe to which the door didn't open fully without moving a bedside table. Slightly trivial issue, but it is nice to see what you are wearing before heading out to the Casino!
3. The swimming pool wasn't heated on a rainy day (yes, we did want to use it then as well).
4. More seriously, they charge you to use the sun loungers which is extortionate. Most of them are empty.
Deauville itself is excellently located to explore Normandy. We had day trips to the D-Day beaches and Honfleur, and found it an interesting part of the world in which to spend a short break. Deauville is a lovely town and totally unlike any seaside resort we had experienced in the UK (when was the last time you saw a Louis Vuitton store in Skegness?).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Majestically overlooking the beach in Deauville, the Hôtel Royal Barrière is an enchanting palace, a wonderful little gem for exceptional stays. Impeccable hospitality, refined decor, subdued ambience, gourmet restaurant... everything here revolves around luxury, peace & quiet and elegance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Barriere Deauville
- Royal Barriere Hotel Deauville
- Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville Normandy, France